New Manager Speculation

maqroll

28 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I wouldn't take it if I were Dean Smith, unless I was given assurances about a significant transfer budget. Coming here without any money to spend, with our best players gone/going is a career ender.

He has done well at both Walsall and Brentford without spending big. Not sure if it’s down to him or his scouts but his transfer history is pretty impressive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

If Bruce goes then I doubt we have the money to employ anyone that is not already employed by the club. Most potential managers would see joining us as similar to taking over as captain of The Titanic after it had not the iceberg. The best we might possibly be able to do is to ask someone like Brian Little to do it for a couple of months on a caretaker basis. 

Feck it, Dwight Yorke it is then.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/06/2018 at 13:24, weedman said:

Most of this could easily be said about Steve Bruce. Came in, improved our league position, made us some money and (potentially) quitting after a 4th placed finish and having to sell all of his better players...

Yeah i suppose so.

Suppose difference is Bruce spent a fortune first before potentially losing players. 

its alright though, we are getting Fernando Torres ?

On 11/06/2018 at 13:24, weedman said:

Most of this could easily be said about Steve Bruce. Came in, improved our league position, made us some money and (potentially) quitting after a 4th placed finish and having to sell all of his better players...

Yeah i suppose so.

Suppose difference is Bruce spent a fortune first before potentially losing players. 

its alright though, we are getting Fernando Torres ?

39 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I think if we appoint a Dean Smith type manager it will be two years too late.

We went with the quick fix option and the dinosaur and as a result were going to be damaged goods for a long long time.

Sad but true. Seems the only currency we have right now is our history. Praying the challenge is tempting to some young visionary with ambition to burn. 

• Like 1

We have no money. Why we going to pay of Bruce, pay Brentford quite a lot of money, and then give Smith a fairly long term well paid contract?

Mind you  nothing is making much sense at the moment.  Why spend a fortune re laying the pitch when we are brassic?

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

dean Smith I think would be a good appointment IF we get rid of cloggers like Whelan and Jedinak. I think with a midfield of Thor, Hourihane and Lansbury he would have us playing well

cant imagine the board having balls to employ him

It's funny coming into this thread, a sort of bizarre oasis where the problems discussed on the rest of the site seem incapable of penetrating.

If people are wondering why we aren't going to be appointing Bielsa, let me put it very simply: WE HAVEN'T GOT ANY MONEY. 

But, let's delve a little deeper into the situation that Mr N Manager has to be prepared to enter, by looking at the timetable for the club for the rest of the summer:

1. First, we have a meeting with Shaun Harvey of the EFL, who wants to see if we have a financial plan in place that would allow us to complete all 46 fixtures this season. He doesn't actually visit most clubs; this is a special honour! If he is unconvinced, as I understand it he has the power to push for our removal from the EFL, which would be the end of the club. 
  2. Supposing we survive that meeting, we then have - within two weeks - a circa £4.5m tax bill, a circa £5m wage bill, plus whatever other monthly bills the club has to pay, despite seemingly having no cash on hand. 
  3. If we manage to pay those bills, we have to survive for the rest of the summer. Even supposing we do that, we also have something approaching a £45m hole in our FFP situation - how many people had forgotten that? - so in reality, we are going to spend the summer accepting bids for any player we can flog. 
  4. Consequently, Mr N Manager has to be prepared to start the season, in roughly eight weeks time, with a squad of first team rejects we couldn't flog, promising U23's, maybe a free transfer or two and whatever loans we can manage to wrangle (which are going to be less Robert Snodgrass, more Jake Clarke-Salter). There will be no transfer kitty. 
  5. I assume that the reason we haven't sacked Bruce, despite Xia wanting to according to all media reports, is a desperate hope that Leeds will pay us some compo for him and his backroom team. We are not going to be replacing Bruce with a manager who wants more per year than Bruce did. I doubt Bielsa comes cheaply. 

We are not at Bielsa's level. We are not even close to Steve Bruce's level any more. We're more at Steve Evans' level. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's funny coming into this thread, a sort of bizarre oasis where the problems discussed on the rest of the site seem incapable of penetrating.

If people are wondering why we aren't going to be appointing Bielsa, let me put it very simply: WE HAVEN'T GOT ANY MONEY. 

But, let's delve a little deeper into the situation that Mr N Manager has to be prepared to enter, by looking at the timetable for the club for the rest of the summer:

1. First, we have a meeting with Shaun Harvey of the EFL, who wants to see if we have a financial plan in place that would allow us to complete all 46 fixtures this season. He doesn't actually visit most clubs; this is a special honour! If he is unconvinced, as I understand it he has the power to push for our removal from the EFL, which would be the end of the club. 
  2. Supposing we survive that meeting, we then have - within two weeks - a circa £4.5m tax bill, a circa £5m wage bill, plus whatever other monthly bills the club has to pay, despite seemingly having no cash on hand. 
  3. If we manage to pay those bills, we have to survive for the rest of the summer. Even supposing we do that, we also have something approaching a £45m hole in our FFP situation - how many people had forgotten that? - so in reality, we are going to spend the summer accepting bids for any player we can flog. 
  4. Consequently, Mr N Manager has to be prepared to start the season, in roughly eight weeks time, with a squad of first team rejects we couldn't flog, promising U23's, maybe a free transfer or two and whatever loans we can manage to wrangle (which are going to be less Robert Snodgrass, more Jake Clarke-Salter). There will be no transfer kitty. 
  5. I assume that the reason we haven't sacked Bruce, despite Xia wanting to according to all media reports, is a desperate hope that Leeds will pay us some compo for him and his backroom team. We are not going to be replacing Bruce with a manager who wants more per year than Bruce did. I doubt Bielsa comes cheaply. 

We are not at Bielsa's level. We are not even close to Steve Bruce's level any more. We're more at Steve Evans' level. 

Yeah, but what’s the negative perspective?

You’re not even glass half empty.  You are glass is sitting in Sahara for 6 months and a camel ate it and it’s now laying empty in the Sahara in a pile of dried out camel plop.