New Manager Speculation

maqroll

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I didn't put it in this thread, but I've put it in a few other threads. But my approach would just be to sell Grealish, Chester and the fringe players and use that £40-£50m as a way of paying the debts and keeping the club afloat with a new, cheap team.

More chance of selling that lot for £40m and having Tony and Keith go to Vegas and put in on red.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Didiersix said:

What about promoting Mark Delaney? Being as the core of the team will be the U-23 squad, does it make sense to have some kind of continuity?

No - although more preferable than Calderwood or Agnew . 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, choffer said:

The machine ain't for sale and even if it was, it only works because Brentford have the instruction manual for the machine and there's no way they're parting with that ;)

We could go for a part exchage, they get the Villa Engine (unfortunately we threw the manual out with the packaging when it was re-cycling bin collection day, but don’t tell them)

To take this out of the Bruce thread.

I would love someone like Bielsa. He works obsessively to create his own good fortune. 6 years as Argentina manager with a 60% win rate, 4 with Chile including a reasonable WC in 2010, 2 years with Bilbao including two major cup finals and a 50% win rate with Marseille. Not bad for an overrated lunatic. So he has walked when agreements are not met, or he is not up to the task at hand. Without knowing the finer details I would say isn't the former understandable and the latter what supporters demand of their manager?

Ranieri and Bielsa are two managers I would take over Bruce.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I would love someone like Bielsa. He works obsessively to create his own good fortune. 6 years as Argentina manager with a 60% win rate, 4 with Chile including a reasonable WC in 2010, 2 years with Bilbao including two major cup finals and a 50% win rate with Marseille. Not bad for an overrated lunatic. So he has walked when agreements are not met, or he is not up to the task at hand. Without knowing the finer details I would say isn't the former understandable and the latter what supporters demand of their manager?

50% win rate at Marseille is pretty poor as 4th is not good enough for them. He also walked out after first game of season, at Lazio after 2 days and Lille sacked him as they were hovering around relegation at Christmas. Also he probably doesnt speak any English and we have no budget to offer him

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

50% win rate at Marseille is pretty poor as 4th is not good enough for them. He also walked out after first game of season, at Lazio after 2 days and Lille sacked him as they were hovering around relegation at Christmas. Also he probably doesnt speak any English and we have no budget to offer him

If we dont get Bielsa i will look a right twit as ive defended him quite a bit, here we go lol.

If you look at Marseille in context he improved there league position, he made them some money, one of his signings for £1mil was sold to Spurs for £11mil after one season, he signed Lucas Ocampos who at the time was one of the mostly highly rated players in the world (youngsters) and last season was one of the clubs top performers. 

And he quit because after his 4th placed finish, hoping to build, he found 5 of his key players sold, 23 goal Andre Pierre Gignac, 11 goal Andre Ayew, Florian Thauvin, Gianielli Imbula and Dmitri Payet (who wasnt keen anyways and subsequently forced a move back there). Thats like you not having Jonathan Kodjia, Robert Snodgrass, Jack Grealish, Albert Adomah and Connor Hourihane last season, and replacing them on the cheap.

Lille i admit it doesnt look good, but delving deeper its important to remember the style Bielsa plays (like Pep) requires specific players, any old player no matter how good wont do, they have to have the right skillset and mentality, at Lille Bielsa was at odds with Luis Campos, they clashed over transfers. Interestingly the 3 or 4 Bielsa was allowed to sign did pretty well in the end, but the majority of players wernt his choice.

If the players signed dont match the style the manager plays then it wont work.

1 minute ago, Cjay said:

If we dont get Bielsa i will look a right twit as ive defended him quite a bit, here we go lol.

If you look at Marseille in context he improved there league position, he made them some money, one of his signings for £1mil was sold to Spurs for £11mil after one season, he signed Lucas Ocampos who at the time was one of the mostly highly rated players in the world (youngsters) and last season was one of the clubs top performers. 

And he quit because after his 4th placed finish, hoping to build, he found 5 of his key players sold, 23 goal Andre Pierre Gignac, 11 goal Andre Ayew, Florian Thauvin, Gianielli Imbula and Dmitri Payet (who wasnt keen anyways and subsequently forced a move back there). Thats like you not having Jonathan Kodjia, Robert Snodgrass, Jack Grealish, Albert Adomah and Connor Hourihane last season, and replacing them on the cheap.

Lille i admit it doesnt look good, but delving deeper its important to remember the style Bielsa plays (like Pep) requires specific players, any old player no matter how good wont do, they have to have the right skillset and mentality, at Lille Bielsa was at odds with Luis Campos, they clashed over transfers. Interestingly the 3 or 4 Bielsa was allowed to sign did pretty well in the end, but the majority of players wernt his choice.

If the players signed dont match the style the manager plays then it wont work.

and Lazio? ;) He also failed to get one of the most talented international squads in history out of teh group phase in the World Cup

Ocampos came from Monaco not middle of nowhere and looked like he couldnt hack Ligue 1 until last season

Bielsa will do well in the right environment but Villa certainly is not a place for that and Leeds probably isnt either

15 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I would love someone like Bielsa. He works obsessively to create his own good fortune. 6 years as Argentina manager with a 60% win rate, 4 with Chile including a reasonable WC in 2010, 2 years with Bilbao including two major cup finals and a 50% win rate with Marseille.

60% win record at Argentina but failed to get out the group stages of the world cup which including losing to England. Won the Olympics but I don't think anyone cares about that as a tournament so not as remotely impressive as it sounds. 

With Chile lost to Spain beat Switzerland and Honduras to get out their group but then lost against Brazil 3-0 in round 16, again hardly impressive. 

Finished fourth with Marseille, nothing special. Walked out on them after losing his opening game the next season though. 

Not sure why you have a big obsession with him but he's walked out on a few clubs when things haven't gone his way, the last thing we would need is a manager who has the potential to just get up and leave when things don't go his way. 

Also if he was as good as you and pep guadiola keep making out he'd be in a job and not be going for job interviews with clubs like Leeds utd. 

15 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Both getting on a bit though now. I agree both are great managers, they'd work better in a different backroom setup with a good appt as director of football. Ideal world we shoudl be looking at that, but it means shedding cash in cancelling contracts and getting new faces in. It's a nightmare at the moment. All moot unless Bruce wlks/goes to Leeds anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

and Lazio? ;) He also failed to get one of the most talented international squads in history out of teh group phase in the World Cup

Ocampos came from Monaco not middle of nowhere and looked like he couldnt hack Ligue 1 until last season

Bielsa will do well in the right environment but Villa certainly is not a place for that and Leeds probably isnt either

Lazio promised to sign players and didnt, so he walked, i quite like that lol. 

Ocampos was a key player for Monaco when they finished second, lost his place to Bernardo Silva, no disgrace lol.

2004 Copa America runners up which was there best since 1993 and an Olympic gold medal, not to shabby,  there first ever, only won 1 other since.

Chile, first time ever they didnt lose in Uruguay, first win ever over Argentina in a competitive match, first win in Peru since 1985, first win in Paraguay in nearly 30 years, first ever away win against Columbia, lead Chile to the World Cup after not qualifying for the last 2, knocked out in the knockout stages by Brazil, they have only got further then that once in the 60s and only ever got that far before once in 1998. He is a god like figure in CHile. 

Bilbao, got them through to the final of the Europa League, losing to Atletico Madrid, not to bad considering thats like you getting through with players only from the West Midlands, the performance vs Manchester United was awesome and to this day Manchester UNited fans have great respect for Bielsa (popular choice to replace Moyes), lost the Copa Del Rey to Peps Barcelona, no disgrace there either. Lost Javi Martinez to Bayern, given how important he was and the difficulty replacing such a special player from the pool he was allowed its no surprise that they struggled. 

Turned down West Ham, Swansea, River PLate, Inter Milan, Fenerbahce, Peru, Argentina, Mexico, Lionel Messi wanted him to replace Pep. oh and reportedly turned down Real Madrid in 2004, good enough for me?

And after all that, i agree with you, i wouldnt appoint Bielsa myself, to many risks, but as an alternative to Paul Heckingbottom if its Bielsa or one of the usual suspects, McCarthy, Pardew etc, id rather take a risk. 

He is no fool, give him the right players and he could do well, i worry about us providing him witht eh right support, not Bielsa himself. 

Edited by Cjay
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

60% win record at Argentina but failed to get out the group stages of the world cup which including losing to England. Won the Olympics but I don't think anyone cares about that as a tournament so not as remotely impressive as it sounds. 

With Chile lost to Spain beat Switzerland and Honduras to get out their group but then lost against Brazil 3-0 in round 16, again hardly impressive. 

Finished fourth with Marseille, nothing special. Walked out on them after losing his opening game the next season though. 

Not sure why you have a big obsession with him but he's walked out on a few clubs when things haven't gone his way, the last thing we would need is a manager who has the potential to just get up and leave when things don't go his way. 

Also if he was as good as you and pep guadiola keep making out he'd be in a job and not be going for job interviews with clubs like Leeds utd. 

He has turned down quite a few jobs tbf to him. 

Think the reason he doesnt get the big jobs is very simply his personality, his unpredictability, big clubs dont like that. 

And yet he is still in the Spanish press right now considered a contender for the Madrid job. 

Edited by Cjay

As much as I've been a Bielsa advocate I think that ship has sailed. It would be an amazing coup if Leeds got him but there would not be a chance of him taking on a Championship club that is in such a financial crisis as we are. Zeman is obviously another that just isn't going to happen but the club needs to find someone with the philosophy of developing players and playing properly good football. Whether there is someone in the lower leagues or abroad that can be found I wouldn't be sure and would doubt the capabilities of the current club management of finding him.

Time and time again I’ve advocated a younger more progressive manager coming in if Bruce walks or is sacked. However to get one of those Villa will probably need to nick one off another club and that will involve compensation to the new manager’s former club plus factoring in Bruce’s pay off. That scenario is becoming increasingly unlikely with the financial revelations rumoured in the press.

So with a very deep intake of breath and if he’s still available what about Moyes?

With my previous interest in Everton he always tried to bring the younger players through, he had to with having to work inside financial restrictions and he didn’t take any crap from the senior players. I know he didn’t do so well at the reds of Manchester or indeed at Sunderland but recently turned West Ham around which was pretty much in a mess when he took over. 

He would also have Villa playing better football, maybe not the free flowing stuff we all wish to see but it would be better, more attacking on the break plus he’s much more tactically aware than Bruce. 

Would he take the job though at Villa? That’s the most difficult one to consider. Xia would have to give him final say on any transfers and we all would need to give him time to bring the younger players through and build a team I don’t think Bruce is capable of doing.

Something to consider?

On 09/06/2018 at 15:54, Cjay said:

Most of this could easily be said about Steve Bruce. Came in, improved our league position, made us some money and (potentially) quitting after a 4th placed finish and having to sell all of his better players...

On 06/06/2018 at 14:15, Rob182 said:

Mark Warburton probably gets my vote. Dean Smith would if it would be viable to bring in Brentford's impressive backroom set-up also.

Not a bad shout tbh