Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

It's one of the reasons I want us to introduce some of our youth players, It's a stupid time to be loaning in young players who are most likely no better than what we already have, and on top of that they will bugger off at the end of the season. 

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

It's one of the reasons I want us to introduce some of our youth players, It's a stupid time to be loaning in young players who are most likely no better than what we already have, and on top of that they will bugger off at the end of the season. 

Sadly, and with some regret, this is why we need to drop Bruce, and this just adds to why this season is possibly a write-off and transitional. 

18 minutes ago, Junxs said:

If they're not better than we already have, we won't loan them, and even if we did, we wouldn't play them. You think any manager would deliberately play worse players than he has to for absolutely no reason? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, weedman said:

If they're not better than we already have, we won't loan them, and even if we did, we wouldn't play them. You think any manager would deliberately play worse players than he has to for absolutely no reason? 

*cough* Onomah *cough* Cleverley *cough* 

You could argue Tuanzabe couldnt get into the team in his natural position either, Sam Johnstone was bloody awful in the first 6 months as well, people were even saying there must be some kind of stipulation in the loan. 

Samba was a year loan (kind of if you consider it was a 1 year contract) and he played ahead of some good strikers who needed game time

I could go on

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

You could argue Tuanzabe couldnt get into the team in his natural position either, Sam Johnstone was bloody awful in the first 6 months as well, people were even saying there must be some kind of stipulation in the loan. 

Samba was a year loan (kind of if you consider it was a 1 year contract) and he played ahead of some good strikers who needed game time

I could go on

Cleverly was good as soon as Sherwood came in. Samba played about ten minutes. Johnstone wasn't bloody awful—he just improved significantly in his second season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

Cleverly was good as soon as Sherwood came in. Samba played about ten minutes. Johnstone wasn't bloody awful—he just improved significantly in his second season. 

He didnt make a diving save in 6 months!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Not starting for a fairly poor Rangers team tonight, he would be an underwhelming replacement for Grealish.

Good job he is only going to be backup to Grealish then, hence why Woodburn is now at Sheffield Utd.

4 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I could go on

I'm not going to argue how good or bad the loan players were, I'm simply saying that when they played it was because they were the best options at the time. The notion that Steve Bruce refuses to play our fantastic youth players and signs inferior players to replace them is utterly ridiculous, can anyone give a logical reason why anyone would do that?

I'm sure some people think we have a youth team full to the brim of absolute superstars and Bruce refuses to play any of them for no reason whatsoever. Truth is, maybe, just maybe, our youth team isn't all that different to most youth teams, and the players aren't quite as good as some believe they are? Take Onomah and O'Hare as examples. Onomah was actually one of our better players off the bench in the run in, from the limited times I've seen O'Hare he certainly looks a decent prospect, but he seems a few years behind Onomah in terms of development. As a manager (especially a manager that has been told we MUST get promoted at all costs) why would you play the inferior player? 

• Like 2

Borna Barisic from Osijek looks a handy left back, good pace, size and a sweet left foot. 25 years old and has been capped for Croatia and just missed out on their WC squad. If they go out of Europe tonight I'd imagine he could be purchased for a reasonable price.

Aberdeen giving Burnley a good game tonight too, hard to pick out anyone though. Westwood had a lovely assist for Wood's opener, Lowton having a tough game with Mackay Steven getting the better of him.

24 minutes ago, weedman said:

I'm not going to argue how good or bad the loan players were, I'm simply saying that when they played it was because they were the best options at the time. The notion that Steve Bruce refuses to play our fantastic youth players and signs inferior players to replace them is utterly ridiculous, can anyone give a logical reason why anyone would do that?

I'm sure some people think we have a youth team full to the brim of absolute superstars and Bruce refuses to play any of them for no reason whatsoever. Truth is, maybe, just maybe, our youth team isn't all that different to most youth teams, and the players aren't quite as good as some believe they are? Take Onomah and O'Hare as examples. Onomah was actually one of our better players off the bench in the run in, from the limited times I've seen O'Hare he certainly looks a decent prospect, but he seems a few years behind Onomah in terms of development. As a manager (especially a manager that has been told we MUST get promoted at all costs) why would you play the inferior player? 

I actually said our squad, not just our youth players.

For example Lansbury and Bjarnason were behind Onomah in the pecking order, Bruce came out and said Onomah is learning his game and people shouldnt get on his back. That was an admission that Onomah was struggling but remained ahead of our own players, Thats even before the calls for O'Hare or Doyle-Hayes to be given a chance.

Our youth team at the moment is very good, I do watch them a lot and it was exciting to see them win the premier league cup. Not everyone in there is amazing, but there certainly are a few gems who deserve a chance - thats all fans are asking for. Nobody is saying start them from game 1. 

Loan signings are supposed to improve the first team otherwise there is no point, Snodgrass being the prefect example. You only get 5 loans, we wasted some on kids that werent ready that only played a bit part and were sent here to help them develop rather than be essentially what we needed. We had decent kids who could have played those roles. 

Edited by Junxs
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Borna Barisic from Osijek looks a handy left back, good pace, size and a sweet left foot. 25 years old and has been capped for Croatia and just missed out on their WC squad. If they go out of Europe tonight I'd imagine he could be purchased for a reasonable price.

Aberdeen giving Burnley a good game tonight too, hard to pick out anyone though. Westwood had a lovely assist for Wood's opener, Lowton having a tough game with Mackay Steven getting the better of him.

I like look of Scott McKenna, would be an asset for us

8 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Loan signings are supposed to improve the first team otherwise there is no point, Snodgrass being the prefect example. You only get 5 loans, we wasted some on kids that werent ready that only played a bit part and were sent here to help them develop rather than be essentially what we needed. We had decent kids who could have played those roles. 

I have no idea where you’re getting this from.

3 of our 5 loans last season were absolutely key players - Snodgrass, Johnstone and Grabban. Tuanzebe was clearly better than anything else we had and looked a player before he got injured. Onomah was actually the player I was most excited about of the lot, but he failed to deliver on the whole. He wasn’t awful, though, and I’d be willing to wager was a better player than any of our youth products were at that time.

So basically every single loan was brought in to be a matchday squad player if not first team and all of them - with the possible exception of Onomah - showed what they can do. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Â