Best British TV comedies of all time

VILLAMARV

Can't believe I'd forgotten The Detectorists or Garth Marenghi's Dark Place. The former is such perfectly british humour, so gentle and loving. The latter is wonderfully surreal and stupid.

You know, my books are all essentially about 'what ifs'. In Black Fang I asked: What if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliament? When I wrote, directed and starred in tonight's episode of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, I was asking another 'what if'.

Now, I won't tell you which 'what if' it is, but it's basically along the same lines but with a different animal. Without giving too much away, think Planet of The Apes.

Always cracked me up.

I've not paid much attention to new shows really. The Shakespeare one with Mitchell in is ok, but otherwise, Peep Show is probably the most recent solid UK comedy I've seen.

Red Dwarf had superb brilliant episodes, and to be far the latest series' have been fine, and funny enough to warrant a come back, but nothing like the older stuff. So for purity and consistency you have to go for the short lived shows. Blackadder and Fatty Owls are my favourites, just about. I mean the Office is fantastic, but sometimes it's so cringeworthy I find myself watching behind fingers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

Can't believe I'd forgotten The Detectorists or Garth Marenghi's Dark Place. The former is such perfectly british humour, so gentle and loving. The latter is wonderfully surreal and stupid.

Always cracked me up.

I've not paid much attention to new shows really. The Shakespeare one with Mitchell in is ok, but otherwise, Peep Show is probably the most recent solid UK comedy I've seen.

Red Dwarf had superb brilliant episodes, and to be far the latest series' have been fine, and funny enough to warrant a come back, but nothing like the older stuff. So for purity and consistency you have to go for the short lived shows. Blackadder and Fatty Owls are my favourites, just about. I mean the Office is fantastic, but sometimes it's so cringeworthy I find myself watching behind fingers.

Detectorists is a superb shout. I loved it.

Interestingly @Paddywhack has a tattoo of a metal detector because of it.

Mrs Browns Boys

Citizen Khan

Dinner Ladies

The Thin Blue Line

Miranda

Anything with Victoria Wood in it

Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps

Bread

Classics one and all.

• Haha 3
  • Shocked 1

Blackadder probably gets the nod for best for me 

other honourable mentions go to

The Thick of it

Yes Minister /Prime Minister

Bottom

The New statesmen 

Inbetweeners ( did I ever tell how they nearly used my house for this show ? )

The IT crowd , though I do find the boss character a bit of a put off

im sure I’ve missed loads

edit - Not the nine o’clock news

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Risso said:

Mrs Browns Boys

Citizen Khan

Dinner Ladies

The Thin Blue Line

Miranda

Anything with Victoria Wood in it

Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps

Bread

Classics one and all.

I've just found multiple lumps on my testicles after reading that.

Good job you don't mean it or I'd looking for you right now to issue the beating of your life

beatingofyourlife.png

The Office and I'm Alan Partridge for me are the gold standard.

Just underneath are Fawlty Towers, Blackadder Goes Fourth, Inbetweeners, Peep Show and The Thick of It. 

Highly underrated is Saxondale. Worth watching if you haven't seen it. Coogan at his best. 

It's funny how some last the test of time and other don't. I used to think Men Behaving Badly was the best thing ever. It has aged worse than Leslie Ash! 

Game On as well as @lapal_fan says. Haven't seen it in a while but doubt it has aged and you would struggle to get away with the content now. 

Also a big fan of the sketch shows from that era - Harry Enfield and Chums and The Fast Show. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

As I said in the other thread, I'm not the biggest fan of TV comedy, but if forced to chose, I'd go with: 

Sketch format: Python, The Fast Show, A Bit of Fry and Laurie 

Sitcoms: Father Ted, Dad's Army, Fawlty Towers

Improv: Whose Line Is It Anyway?, Have I Got News For You, Q.I. 

Stand-up: Billy Connolly... (struggling to think of any others) 

Extended format: The Comic Strip Presents... 

Edited by mjmooney

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Blackadder probably gets the nod for best for me 

other honourable mentions go to

The Thick of it

Yes Minister /Prime Minister

Bottom

The New statesmen 

Inbetweeners ( did I ever tell how they nearly used my house for this show ? )

The IT crowd , though I do find the boss character a bit of a put off

im sure I’ve missed loads

Good choices. You forgot Pheonix Nights, Father Ted, The Day Today,  People Like Us, W1A...and probably some more.

Â