The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

I don't at all advocate what he did or said, but no one has mentioned another crux of the problem. He based his decision on not wanting to cause the ref more grief. In other words, he didn't want to subject the ref to more abuse from the managers, players, and fans. With madmen Conte and Tuchel on the touchline, I do see where he's coming from. If the relevant parties had more respect for the referees, did not complain about every decision, particularly getting vexxed over the correct decision, and understand that yes sometimes errors are made (a wrong offside call is a much more livable mistake than a doctor operating on the wrong limb), this incident would not have occurred. (Referees getting no respect because they're not fit for the job is a different story to what I'm saying here). I'm not absolving the decision because referees should not be the focal part of the game, but there's another elephant in the room here too.

5 minutes ago, a-k said:

I don't at all advocate what he did or said, but no one has mentioned another crux of the problem. He based his decision on not wanting to cause the ref more grief. In other words, he didn't want to subject the ref to more abuse from the managers, players, and fans. With madmen Conte and Tuchel on the touchline, I do see where he's coming from. If the relevant parties had more respect for the referees, did not complain about every decision, particularly getting vexxed over the correct decision, and understand that yes sometimes errors are made (a wrong offside call is a much more livable mistake than a doctor operating on the wrong limb), this incident would not have occurred. (Referees getting no respect because they're not fit for the job is a different story to what I'm saying here). I'm not absolving the decision because referees should not be the focal part of the game, but there's another elephant in the room here too.

And somehow, by taking that decision and speaking out about it, he caused the referees more grief.

Edited by Mic09

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Scrap VAR. 

If you record a video your kid falling, and your Mrs says they tripped and you say they fell over a toy car, is the video replay at fault?

Or an incorrect interpretation of one of you wrong? 

There is nothing wrong with a video replay. The referee interpretation is crap. 

12 hours ago, Mic09 said:

If you record a video your kid falling, and your Mrs says they tripped and you say they fell over a toy car, is the video replay at fault?

Or an incorrect interpretation of one of you wrong? 

There is nothing wrong with a video replay. The referee interpretation is crap. 

Everything is wrong with video refereeing in football. It would be shite even if it worked perfectly, and it doesn’t even work at all. What it takes away in terms of spontaneity is enough to bin it for me, but the pragmatic argument is that it can’t possibly work the way its proponents idealise, because football refereeing will always be subject to human error and subjective interpretation. Always. 

VAR makes football worse. Far worse. I want it sent straight to room 101 where it belongs. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, El Zen said:

What it takes away in terms of spantanity is enough to bin it for me

This, 100% this, I haven't had a season ticket for the last few years but the last time that I did have one it got to the point when I wouldn't celebrate a goal whenever it was scored, I wouldn't look at the players, I wouldn't soak up the athmosphere, I'd be looking at the referee or the linesman, and then after a 4 minute deliberation the crowd would cheer and I'd think..."oh well, that was a good goal that was scored 5 minutes ago" and all excitement has gone.

Without VAR you get a goal you jump up and down and you scream and the goal its a goal, every now and again after a minute someone in the crowd spots that the flag is up and all of a sudden that moment of euphoria turns to anger, rightly or wrongly, the game starts again and you get on with it.

With VAR you get a goal, you have 10 seconds of excitement then you look at the ref, VAR is checking for something, you have no idea what they are checking but you know that something is up, they keep checking, keep checking, keep checking....5 minutes later goal is given, well....I guess we should celebrate then

Even when it says VAR checking possible offside and it takes 30 seconds, its enough to get rid of the excitement of the goal for me.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, a-k said:

Don't bother telling your team at work they are doing a good job apart from 1 thing, as it'll cause to much grief when things are going well. Comon mate, if everyone had respect in the game you would hardly need referees.

12 hours ago, El Zen said:

Everything is wrong with video refereeing in football. It would be shite even if it worked perfectly, and it doesn’t even work at all. What it takes away in terms of spontaneity is enough to bin it for me, but the pragmatic argument is that it can’t possibly work the way its proponents idealise, because football refereeing will always be subject to human error and subjective interpretation. Always. 

VAR makes football worse. Far worse. I want it sent straight to room 101 where it belongs. 

It’s sucked the life out of it. From the farces of armpit offsides and subjective lines. We might get the odd decision that corrects errors but you can’t trust it to be effective. There’s no scrutiny and too much subjectivity from the old boy’s club. No apology brings back points or the moments it robs fans when celebrating goals or being denied obvious fouls or penalties. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I definitely feel like there should be some kind of referendum within football as to whether or not we continue with VAR.

I’d keep it for offside checks only in an ideal world, let the on field officials get on with the rest of it.

I think polls done on it have shown that a pretty big majority are in favour of scrapping it.

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I definitely feel like there should be some kind of referendum within football as to whether or not we continue with VAR.

I’d keep it for offside checks only in an ideal world, let the on field officials get on with the rest of it.

I still don't think enough people realise VAR is merely a tool

Keep VAR nothing is fixed, scrap VAR nothing is fixed, these **** clowns will still ruin football

It has to be all or nothing, if you have the cameras then the expectation is all decisions should be correct.

You can’t have VAR checking offsides but then when a massive handball or foul in the box goes unpunished ignore it. 

Either go back to how we were doing it (just onfield officials) or persevere with it until they get it right.

• Like 1

Â