The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

14 hours ago, ChrisH said:

I think from the laws of the game the freekick position was correct.

It is only an offence when he becomes involved in play even thought he act of being offside has to occur in their half.  so when he touched the ball in our half he was involved in play.

the laws of the game say:

2. Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate

4. Offences and sanctions

If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play.

Law 11 - Offside (thefa.com)

Fans not knowing the laws of the game but getting outraged non-shocker.

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think Emerson touched the ball with his tackle and then got Ollie on the way through.  It was the quickest VAR check of all time though, if it was the other way round they would have looked about 10 times and given.  That's what pisses me off.

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

I am not sure the defender touched it. I have watched it again on IPlayer, on the MotD highlights they show the tackle from behind the defender/front on view to Ollie and I really can't see a touch by the defender on the ball.

I might be wrong but I always thought that winning/touching the ball or not was irrelevant, you weren’t allowed to go through the back of someone? 

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think it's a pen... Its definitley not the worst decision we've had against us, it's not even the worst Harry Kane decision we've had against us, the cash one was worse, it's not a dive he's getting clattered and protects himself

Can't agree with this. He's collapsed into Emi, both legs bent back at right angles. He's endangering himself more than just running straight if anything, but it's certainly not for protection - that would simply be jumping as anyone would naturally do in such a situation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Can't agree with this. He's collapsed into Emi, both legs bent back at right angles. He's endangering himself more than just running straight if anything, but it's certainly not for protection - that would simply be jumping as anyone would naturally do in such a situation.

Emi's knees take Kane's legs out from under him.

I think anyway. I've watched it like a hundred times and I'm still not sure :D 

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Emi's knees take Kane's legs out from under him.

I think anyway. I've watched it like a hundred times and I'm still not sure :D 

Don’t think so. If you scroll this video through instead of just playing it, you can see the contact of the knees at almost exactly 7 seconds because of the immediate impact and change in direction.

There's nothing similar visible with his feet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don’t think Emi touches Kane, Kane collapses.

I equally think we’d be calling for a penalty if Watkins did the same. 

Oh of course we would, but evidence suggests that 1. Ollie doesn't do that and 2. he wouldn't get the penalty anyway.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Don’t think so. If you scroll this video through instead of just playing it, you can see the contact of the knees at almost exactly 7 seconds because of the immediate impact and change in direction.

There's nothing similar visible with his feet.

It’s not as blatant as the Watkins one, but I still think Emi’s knees clip Kane’s feet, which completely changes the context. 

If they don’t then it’s a blatant dive. Or at least a blatant “manufactured contact” situation. 
If they do then it’s a foul quite honestly. 

Like I said I’ve watched it loads and I can’t be sure either way (which is absolutely evidence that it shouldn’t have been changed via VAR)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, av1 said:

I might be wrong but I always thought that winning/touching the ball or not was irrelevant, you weren’t allowed to go through the back of someone? 

That used to be the case, for instance Gabby being fouled by sha in a match where their player grazed the ball then bought Gabby down. Penalty awarded.

Then for some bizarre reason, a couple of seasons ago we had a last minute penalty overturned against I think Brighton. Because the ball had grazed the studs of their player before he bought down our player Trezeguet.

So I think the rule has been changed at some point, albeit a daft change as the way you interpret the rule should be correct. The law makers of the game do nobody any favours with changing the rules. A little bit of a tidy up to clear up a rule is fine, but a change to the way something is interpreted just adds further confusion.

I know we've all been talking about Kane, but has anyone mentioned Pickford getting away with smacking Haaland in the face? :D

In a world with VAR, how is that not given?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I know we've all been talking about Kane, but has anyone mentioned Pickford getting away with smacking Haaland in the face? :D

In a world with VAR, how is that not given?!

Or Martinelli’s all out assault on Mitoma early in the game yesterday. I can’t believe he didn’t even get a yellow for it.

• Like 4

Howard Webb is on Monday Night Football in the next few minutes talking about decisions from earlier in the season and for the first time we'll hear the conversation between the ref on the pitch and Stockley Park as they decide how to give goals to Man Utd and Liverpool.

You can guarantee that the clips they show will have been cherry picked to the Nth degree.

23 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

You can guarantee that the clips they show will have been cherry picked to the Nth degree.

You are spot on. Just starting watching and they start with a straightforward correct decision against Arsenal.

Let's see they are brave enough to explain Maguires handball Vs forest not so long ago or any of Kane's clever fall

29 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Howard Webb is on Monday Night Football in the next few minutes talking about decisions from earlier in the season and for the first time we'll hear the conversation between the ref on the pitch and Stockley Park as they decide how to give goals to Man Utd and Liverpool.

My main criticism is they are only using clip where they got it right.

What about the clips where VAR got it wrong?

• Like 2

Fascinating piece with Howard Webb on MNF.

far more communication going on between the officials than we are generally aware of. Looks like they are going in the right direction.

You wonder how they still get some blatant one wrong when you hear the decision making process. Maybe just human error or misunderstanding between the officials.

if they did replay some of these discussions it would help us all and save endless arguments as to why I am always right!😂

watch it if you get the chance.

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

My main criticism is they are only using clip where they got it right.

What about the clips where VAR got it wrong?

Had to turn it off, they think us fans are stupid, which we knew all along.

This is gonna be a regular thing with Howard Webb. Would be great if us fans could vote for one for them to look at, one with the most votes gets explained. Cause your bang on, they are just cherry picking. Just watched the Xhaka handball, which ref called, but got over turned correctly. Still sounds a bit messy on the mic though, could be much better if they let the ref just go to the monitor first maybe and make his own decisions with help from VAR if required.

It's proved to me that VAR is over the ref, although they claim the Ref makes the final decision. "go look at the monitor,  it hits his thigh first". ref quick look.  "No penalty, no penalty".

2 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

Fascinating piece with Howard Webb on MNF.

far more communication going on between the officials than we are generally aware of. Looks like they are going in the right direction.

You wonder how they still get some blatant one wrong when you hear the decision making process. Maybe just human error or misunderstanding between the officials.

if they did replay some of these discussions it would help us all and save endless arguments as to why I am always right!😂

watch it if you get the chance.

I've just commented above. I thought the ref should be in control, instead of it seems VAR, we have looked at this, that, blah blah. Why not just let the ref ask the questions, did it do this, that, what did you see. Instead it's very messy on the mic, then the ref just goes looks at the monitor and agrees.

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I've just commented above. I thought the ref should be in control, instead of it seems VAR, we have looked at this, that, blah blah. Why not just let the ref ask the questions, did it do this, that, what did you see. Instead it's very messy on the mic, then the ref just goes looks at the monitor and agrees.

I don’t disagree that about taking over from the onfield officials but they are running through these checks for every goal or penalty anyway.

I was good that for factual decisions, he does not need to go to the monitor.

I have a lot of time for Howard Webb, so optimistically, I live in hope.😀

sadly, he did not go through the badge check protocol.

10 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

I don’t disagree that about taking over from the onfield officials but they are running through these checks for every goal or penalty anyway.

I was good that for factual decisions, he does not need to go to the monitor.

I have a lot of time for Howard Webb, so optimistically, I live in hope.😀

sadly, he did not go through the badge check protocol.

Just showed the Toney one, another blatant penalty. 

No wonder they are missing them, VAR don't shut up to the run up to a goal. Seem to be in his ear all the time.

Typical Sky at the moment, just showing right decisions.

Edited by foreveryoung

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

The corruption is sickening.

Absolutely clearly offside so the rock they frames back and forth to change the moment the ball leaves to boot till they're satisfied they've got him onside. 

It's a **** disgrace. 

Just put this in the footy thread. 

This has to stop. It's just now plain and obvious corruption. I don't think they meant to broadcast what they did. 

Drew lines showing a Liverpool offside so then rocked the frames back and forth to get one where he looked onside. Still didn't even bother with the lines even then, just gave it. 

Something needs to be done. That was prima facie evidence they've deliberately doctored the view to ensure a Liverpool goal. 

• Haha 1

Â