The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Fair enough if the ref initially awards this and VAR doesn't think it's clear enough error to overturn.

VAR stepping in and changing the call to a penalty is something else.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Fair enough if the ref initially awards this and VAR doesn't think it's clear enough error to overturn.

Even if the VAR can justify that as an obvious error and a penalty, which I am sure they will. They need to then explain why Watkins being clattered into by the Spurs defender in the box in the first half wasn’t treated the same. Watkins was clearly fouled after he had passed the ball!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Even if the VAR can justify that as an obvious error and a penalty, which I am sure they will. They need to then explain why Watkins being clattered into by the Spurs defender in the box in the first half wasn’t treated the same. Watkins was clearly fouled after he had passed the ball!

Different rules for different clubs and players.

The worst part of the penalty is Kane is running into Emi as the ball has moved a different direction and Kane has zero intention of getting to the ball just like his disgusting dive vs Cash a couple seasons back

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The worst part of the penalty is Kane is running into Emi as the ball has moved a different direction and Kane has zero intention of getting to the ball just like his disgusting dive vs Cash a couple seasons back

He’s on the way down before he gets to Emi 

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Different rules for different clubs and players.

Yep, but they do need to answer that. I know they won’t though, or they will just shrug it off.

I would love to bump into The VAR official, present him with the two decisions and hear him squirm as he tries to explain the difference in ruling. I can understand different people having different interpretations in different matches, this one there is no excuse.

• Like 1

The incident in the Palace match yesterday is a head scratcher. Palace player punches Lerma square on the nose, breaks his nose, VAR does nothing as they didn't view the punch as a punch because he didn't swing his arm. But he did make a fist that he pushed straight into Lerma's face.

• Haha 1

The penalty........It's a contentious decision but its not clear either way.

Pick a fight your favourite to win.

The Bailey offside free kick, taken from a meter into our half, is a clear and obvious error that needs an explanation, there's a linesman and a ref yet it's a basic error that the lowest level of officials should be getting right. The real explanation  would be ......Spurs and the other traditional 'big 6'  push the barriers of the law.

That ref/ linesman should not be officiating games at this level. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tinker said:

The penalty........It's a contentious decision but its not clear either way.

Pick a fight your favourite to win.

The Bailey offside free kick, taken from a meter into our half, is a clear and obvious error that needs an explanation, there's a linesman and a ref yet it's a basic error that the lowest level of officials should be getting right. The real explanation  would be ......Spurs and the other traditional 'big 6'  push the barriers of the law.

That ref/ linesman should not be officiating games at this level. 

Issue with penalty is it wasnt given then was given. Nothing would say its worth overruling

4 hours ago, tinker said:

The Bailey offside free kick, taken from a meter into our half, is a clear and obvious error that needs an explanation, there's a linesman and a ref yet it's a basic error that the lowest level of officials should be getting right. 

I think from the laws of the game the freekick position was correct.

It is only an offence when he becomes involved in play even thought he act of being offside has to occur in their half.  so when he touched the ball in our half he was involved in play.

the laws of the game say:

2. Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate

4. Offences and sanctions

If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play.

Law 11 - Offside (thefa.com)

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, sne said:

Is it only me that thinks Emi’s knees hit Kane’s feet first?

If that’s the case then it’s a pen. 

If they don’t then it’s a dive. 

Either way I don’t think it’s clear enough to overturn the on field decision under the current guidelines

I think it's a pen... Its definitley not the worst decision we've had against us, it's not even the worst Harry Kane decision we've had against us, the cash one was worse, it's not a dive he's getting clattered and protects himself

Its annoying for a lot of reasons though, firstly he knocks the ball to the right but looks to continue his run straight which is where the contact is, he's looking to knock the ball around martinez but not himself but that's modern football*, obviously the amount of time VAR took to give it, the fact that Ollie didn't get a far worse foul vs these lot when lloris wiped him out and that you knew it was inevitable, it was a running joke in the match thread that kane would win a penalty

* Bailey did it last month where he was too honest and knocked the ball around the defender and then took a huge side step himself to avoid the contact and he put the ball out of play, it looked shit and he got ridiculed for it when in reality he should have just stood still and let himself be fouled, can't remember who it was against

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think it's a pen... Its definitley not the worst decision we've had against us, it's not even the worst Harry Kane decision we've had against us, the cash one was worse, it's not a dive he's getting clattered and protects himself

Its annoying for a lot of reasons though, firstly he knocks the ball to the right but looks to continue his run straight which is where the contact is, he's looking to knock the ball around martinez but not himself but that's modern football*, obviously the amount of time VAR took to give it, the fact that Ollie didn't get a far worse foul vs these lot when lloris wiped him out and that you knew it was inevitable, it was a running joke in the match thread that kane would win a penalty

* Bailey did it last month where he was too honest and knocked the ball around the defender and then took a huge side step himself to avoid the contact and he put the ball out of play, it looked shit and he got ridiculed for it when in reality he should have just stood still and let himself be fouled, can't remember who it was against

McGinn v Everton gave the classic case of how to win a penalty in modern game with that last point on Bailey. He breaks into the box, Gana runs to meet him but knows he isn't going to get the ball so tries to slow down but McGinn knows contact is coming and so adjusts his body and waits to be hit.

Sort of penalty that would've been waved away years ago but gets whistled pretty much every time now.

There was a funny one yesterday in the Man. United game. Hwang runs onto a throughball, De Gea comes charging out but at last minute realises he can't get there and pulls out of challenge, Hwang thinks challenge is coming, begins to dive and then quickly gets up when he realises how stupid he looks and keeps on running like nothing has happened.😂

I’m a bit ambivalent about the Kane penalty. I can see why it was given. There is an element of it being manufactured.

I’m more annoyed about the Watkins one in the first half. Haven’t seen it back as often as the Kane one, especially the one angle from the front, but it looked like a penalty.

As is often the case, my main issue is if the incidents were reversed, I don’t think Watkins gets the one Kane did (we have evidence from a previous incident v Spurs to support that). And I also suspect Kane would win the penalty if the challenge on Watkins had happened to him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m a bit ambivalent about the Kane penalty. I can see why it was given. There is an element of it being manufactured.

I’m more annoyed about the Watkins one in the first half. Haven’t seen it back as often as the Kane one, especially the one angle from the front, but it looked like a penalty.

As is often the case, my main issue is if the incidents were reversed, I don’t think Watkins gets the one Kane did (we have evidence from a previous incident v Spurs to support that). And I also suspect Kane would win the penalty if the challenge on Watkins had happened to him.

I think Emerson touched the ball with his tackle and then got Ollie on the way through.  It was the quickest VAR check of all time though, if it was the other way round they would have looked about 10 times and given.  That's what pisses me off.

Pickford got away with a blatant penalty as well yesterday, it really helps being an England regular it seems.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think Emerson touched the ball with his tackle and then got Ollie on the way through.  It was the quickest VAR check of all time though, if it was the other way round they would have looked about 10 times and given.  That's what pisses me off.

Pickford got away with a blatant penalty as well yesterday, it really helps being an England regular it seems.

I am not sure the defender touched it. I have watched it again on IPlayer, on the MotD highlights they show the tackle from behind the defender/front on view to Ollie and I really can't see a touch by the defender on the ball. Maybe I am being blind, or maybe with the aid of slow motion or a snickometer it becomes apparent but Ollie flicks it round him as he dives in in my opinion. That adds to your quickest check of all time comment, it was not obvious if there was a defenders touch at first glance. I doubt they gave it more than a seconds glance especially considering how long they took on Kane's penalty claim.

I was going to add that Ollie needs to learn the dark arts of milking these fouls a bit more to get the decisions, but then recall Lloris taking him out a couple of seasons ago at WHL which couldn't have been a more blatant penalty. I am wondering whether Ollie coming through the Football pyramid and learning his trade away from the PL he hasn't been programmed in the dark arts. 😂

I do think you are right about the England regulars getting favours from referees, that has always been a thing since I was watching as a young lad. I recall Shilton dropping a crossed ball with nobody within a foot of him at VP and being awarded a free kick. Bryan Robson seemed to get away with a lot as well.

• Like 1

Â