The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Salah-esque dive there. Manufacturing contact.

Worse than that, there wasn't any contact bar a shirt pull in the mid rift

It looks like the knees or legs clash but from the replays I saw they don't 

Its a shocker, it's not even hard, just read the body language, the way silva straightened his body up on the way to the floor was ridiculously unnatural 

5 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Does anyone believe that if that Lloris challenge was against any of the top 4 it wouldn't have been given? 

Its a complete joke!

Or if it been against Kane on the other end.

• Like 1

I actually think VAR got it right in the Arsenal game. The first one is close, its not clear and obvious when you need 4-5 replays to see what happened, likewise if it was given it wouldn't be overturned. Stick with on field decision.

Xhaka has stuck a leg out and grabbed his shirt, take your pick, absolutely stone wall foul and it's in the box so it's a pen.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

I actually think VAR got it right in the Arsenal game. The first one is close, its not clear and obvious when you need 4-5 replays to see what happened, likewise if it was given it wouldn't be overturned. Stick with on field decision.

Xhaka has stuck a leg out and grabbed his shirt, take your pick, absolutely stone wall foul and it's in the box so it's a pen.

I think the Odegaard one is probably a penalty (unless it was against us then everyone on here would be saying Odegaard stepped on Ederson so it's not)

Silva one is a pen for me. There's enough contact and he's getting his shirt pulled.

Gabriel red card was stonewall (although I guess technically not a VAR decision as it was second yellow)

21 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

If he gives it for the shirt pull then it's very very soft indeed but it's a blantant dive either way as whatever contact there is there is not enough for him to go down like that (remember its not a non contact sport).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

It is true that when they go to the screen it's gonna be overturned.

The reason 100% is because they don't wanna overule the ref at Stockley Park.

The thing that bothers me the most is that stockley park get all sorts of angles and that’ll often show the decision is not as clear cut as a single angle shows. Why can’t the ref see the various angles? It may take a little longer but it won’t make a material difference to how long it already takes. 

7 hours ago, lammy123 said:

If he gives it for the shirt pull then it's very very soft indeed but it's a blantant dive either way as whatever contact there is there is not enough for him to go down like that (remember its not a non contact sport).

Exactly that for me, the fall doesn't correlate to the contact, they're 2 completely different things, it's a dive

Get touched fall over win penalty, its taking the piss

The contact does not make his body do that, silva makes his body do that, it's that simple for me

same with mings on salah, it's happening every week

• Like 4

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Exactly that for me, the fall doesn't correlate to the contact, they're 2 completely different things, it's a dive

The contact does not make his body do that, silva makes his body do that, it's that simple for me

It doesn’t matter in the Silva situation for me - it’s a clear pen.

We can’t be saying that players have to fall over to be fouled, that’s nonsense. Players exaggerate their falls to ensure the decision is given. Xhaka gets done by Silva, sticks a leg out to catch him and then pulls his shirt. It probably isn’t enough to send him to the ground, but it’s a foul. It’s that simple. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

90% of fouls do not make you fall over but this is the way the game is now.

If you stay on your feet you won't get a freekick and as soon as one team starts flopping all over the place and is given fouls every 5 mins then other teams will do it.

This is just incredibly clumsy by Xhaka and then his stupidity on top of it to grab the shirt. I'm much more concerned about the last situation you mentioned whereby players are just sticking their legs into where the defender is running.

I don’t get we’re going on about the shirt pull. For something to be a foul, it has to be consequent. He’s already down when the shirt pull happens. It’s irrelevant. The same as the Maddison dive a couple of weeks ago. There’s contact but he’s already in the air when it happens. 

and the ‘leg’ aspect. There’s nowhere near enough there for him to be falling over. 

to summarise. Not enough contact for a foul initially. He dived, and as he’s in mid air, his shirt is pulled but it’s completely irrelevant to his actions. If he was on his feet, and the shirt pull happened, 100% a penalty. But he’s dived. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

It doesn’t matter in the Silva situation for me - it’s a clear pen.

We can’t be saying that players have to fall over to be fouled, that’s nonsense. Players exaggerate their falls to ensure the decision is given. Xhaka gets done by Silva, sticks a leg out to catch him and then pulls his shirt. It probably isn’t enough to send him to the ground, but it’s a foul. It’s that simple. 

So what you're saying is that he can stay up, he can get the ball if he wants but he doesn't want to, he wants to fall over... And that's OK? 

Games gone mad 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

So what you're saying is that he can stay up, he can get the ball if he wants but he doesn't want to, he wants to fall over... And that's OK? 

Games gone mad 

This is the way it's been for about 20 years.

Nobody moaned when Grealish was doing it 10 times a game for us

Edited by Stevo985

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He’s not diving until after his shirt is pulled. 

Not that that matters. Whether he’s gone to ground easily or not, it’s a foul

He literally was though. He's already falling over when the shirt pull starts.

image.png.bf7c4de0fe78df74f4724df15fe5e00b.png

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

He literally was though. He's already falling over when the shirt pull starts.

image.png.bf7c4de0fe78df74f4724df15fe5e00b.png

His shirt is being pulled there. He's running. His next step his left foot is planted as normal. Then he goes to ground.

This is another one where if that was Ollie Watkins instead of Bernardo Silva and that penalty wasn't given we'd all be going **** mental

You run in a very strange way if you think he's running there 🤣

Agree to disagree but I think you're completely blind if you think he's running in that picture and not already falling over. His left leg is dangling, not waiting to plant ffs.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

Â