The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Where do you see the contact that rotates his body? 

Or even the contact that prevents the heel of his left foot planting in to the ground keeping him upright rather than him pointing his toes towards the ground? 

Once again refs don't know what they're looking at, there's obviously contact but that contact simply does not make his body do that, salah makes his body do that 

Yep, the spinning it’s ridiculous, as is the feet in the air fall. 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Where do you see the contact that rotates his body? 

Or even the contact that prevents the heel of his left foot planting in to the ground keeping him upright rather than him pointing his toes towards the ground? 

Once again refs don't know what they're looking at, there's obviously contact but that contact simply does not make his body do that, salah makes his body do that 

Yeah, I don’t dispute that. I guess we have a difference on what “dive” is. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Yep, the spinning it’s ridiculous, as is the feet in the air fall. 

The ball takes him out more than Mings - it's a 50/50 tussle anywhere on the pitch and it's waved on. Salah rotates his hips, rolls himself, and makes it impossible for the ref not to give the penalty. A braver ref isn't so easily conned. Same with VAR.

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Tbh I'd like to see penalties scrapped except for denial of a goal scoring opportunity.  Too many games are decided by a team more or less being given a goal as a reward for a trivial foul.

Good idea, make it indirect free kick and watch how many fewer “fouls” there are on the penalty area.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

No huge issue with VAR not overturning the Salah situation. Not rewarding Ings with a penalty is ridiculous thou.

Yeah I agree, you can't 100% one way or the other say yes or no so imo you stick with the original ref decision, VAR would take 3 minutes to still be "wrong"

from what I saw it took the ref a good second to give it, during that second about 4 liverpool players screamed at him... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

No huge issue with VAR not overturning the Salah situation. Not rewarding Ings with a penalty is ridiculous thou.

To be fair, that sequence only happened due to Ings shoving Matip into Alisson

6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Tbh I'd like to see penalties scrapped except for denial of a goal scoring opportunity.  Too many games are decided by a team more or less being given a goal as a reward for a trivial foul.

Yep, no way that Rudiger “foul” should be rewarded with a pen, even if there actually was substantial contact 

It was a definite penalty for me, it's a given that a player has to go down in order to get awarded it and has been all the time I've watched football.  It's a sad fact of life.  I thought the Chelsea one was a penalty as well, only seen the City one a couple of times but that looked really harsh but then it was Moss refereeing who hasn't got a clue.

There needs to be a change away from every foul in the box resulting in a penalty. Which is 9 times out of 10, resulting in a goal. I'd say for atleast half of the penalties we see, they should be indirect free kicks.

The leeds one today was ludicrous. A soft foul right in the corner of the box 18 yards from goal, with the Chelsea player moving further away from goal when the challenge is made. Why is that a goal awarded to Chelsea? If the outcome of pens were 50 50 I'd get it slightly, but their not.

• Like 2

One thing I'd like to add about the Mings decision is that the on-field decision was pen given. Pre-VAR, we would feel hard done by after seeing the multiple angles in slo-mo and agree with Gerrard that Salah first fouls Mings, which then results in Mings "fouling" Salah. Difficult one for the ref to judge in real-time at that speed, and it's not like Mings protested the decision. It's not like the on-field decision was no pen, but then VAR intervened by showing a still of Mings catching Salah (after Salah first clips Mings) and then a pen was given. Regardless of the consistency, or lack thereof, of "clear and obvious", I think this is just a decision gone against us, rather than anything sinister from VAR.

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

I like this idea. There really needs to be a debate about penalties and their role in the modern game. Very, very soft and innocuous fouls are being punished with disproportionate severity. 

Yep, it’s not a foul anywhere else on the pitch, so why is it automatically a penalty? 

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

It’s a soft pen, but where are you seeing a dive there? Bizarre. 

Salah is in complete control of his forward movement, he can carry on running. And then suddenly he pirrouettes, throws his hands in the air and ends up upside down on the back of his neck. Sadly, if there is close/slight contact, that is all that matters nowadays and it's a pen.

• Like 1

Sooner rather then later the people within the game to start making a stand and speaking out, managers, players, owners, we need a whistleblower, the game really is as bent as ****, between the vagueness and inconsistency, decisions can and are being manipulated, if the same decision has been given one way or another, it can be again and again to make sure the 6 biggest companies will always be the 6 biggest. 

Â