The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Perhaps the premiership is using pgmol and var in a more corrupt fashion.

The standard is a country mile better then here.

Or UEFA are using better referees 😉

Lukaku goal yesterday was still a joke

• Like 1

I think the PL refs are just so fond of the limelight they demand having the Julius Caesar thumb up or down power. It actually makes them look weak.

These European refs are basically saying i trust my eyes and i know the rules. I will only listen to VAR if I'm unsure of something or they start screaming in my ear. They are cool customers.

Comparatively VAR in the PL last season was an embarrassing mess

Edited by YLN

VAR was fine in the Russian world cup also, just the PL iteration of it has been a shambles.

As stated above, the first Lukaku goal is a joke. If Lukaku isn't there, the defender lets go to the goalie. The fact he is there makes the defender panic so it is not a new phase.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, tinker said:

Who would have thought VAR was even in use in the Euros, its been seemless and raises big questions on the FA's bodged attempt at it. 

Mike Riley's incompetence has been further shown up by it.  I've felt a tiny bit of sympathy for the PL refs in that the directives changed so frequently throughout the season, here it just shows what is achievable if there is a clear, consistent process to follow.  Obviously you're naturally going to have the best refs in the world at the Euros, which you can't replicate at domestic level but if they had a competent person in charge of PGMOL is would be a start.

• Like 2

I also hate VAR in the PL, but really like it in the Euros (and in the previous World Cup.) 

VAR is great when good refs use it right. It’s an absolute plague on the sport when bad refs use it wrong.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I hate VAR ( in the PL anyway )

Just now, El Zen said:

I also hate VAR in the PL, but really like it in the Euros (and in the previous World Cup.) 

VAR is great when good refs use it right. It’s an absolute plague on the sport when bad refs use it wrong.

Same here, begs the question as to why its so much worse, why some get soft penalties and others don't, are the refs on the take? 

It will be chaos next season if the standards haven't been raised as we now have a benchmark to throw in their faces.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Same here, begs the question as to why its so much worse, why some get soft penalties and others don't, are the refs on the take? 

It will be chaos next season if the standards haven't been raised as we now have a benchmark to throw in their faces.

Premier League brought in a different version of VAR because they are arrogant pricks who thought could make it better. You dont see VAR dissecting the lines at the Euros for an armpit offside 

• Like 1

The only part of VAR I haven’t liked at the Euros is it being used for seeing if the keeper is off their line on penalty shootouts (it’s the same at the copa America as well)

That rule should be enforced. But they literally have a linesman stood right there on the line. Let him be the judge of it. 

If he can’t spot it then they’re not far enough of their line to gain an advantage. There’s no need for keepers to have to wait after they make a match winning save to see if it counts or not

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The only part of VAR I haven’t liked at the Euros is it being used for seeing if the keeper is off their line on penalty shootouts (it’s the same at the copa America as well)

That rule should be enforced. But they literally have a linesman stood right there on the line. Let him be the judge of it. 

If he can’t spot it then they’re not far enough of their line to gain an advantage. There’s no need for keepers to have to wait after they make a match winning save to see if it counts or not

Has it been overturned at all on a marginal call?  I haven't watched all penalties so not sure.

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

Has it been overturned at all on a marginal call?  I haven't watched all penalties so not sure.

Not this tournament. But you can see when keepers make that final save they wait and have to check with the ref and make sure it counts. Stammer for Switzerland, Emi for Argentina and the Scottish keeper in their Euros playoff were all the same. Make the save and instead of celebrating they have to wait until the ref tells them it counts. 

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Apparently all decisions are to be made off screen to avoid negativity for the decision review system. 

What a great way to again screw all the other teams that aren’t in the “big 6”. 

thats how they used it at the euros too and i liked it, VAR isnt part of the entertainment stopping the game and putting the ref front and centre and making a big song and dance about it, its a tool in the background, they've mislead so many people as to how it should be used that when they now revert to how it should be used / how everyone else uses it it will cause a stink

it should be that they watch everything, review everything and then inform the pitch ref that he might want to take another look at it if they see something that he doesnt, this "VAR didnt even review that" should be nonsense, they should review it but not tell you unless there is a problem

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

thats how they used it at the euros too and i liked it, VAR isnt part of the entertainment stopping the game and putting the ref front and centre and making a big song and dance about it, its a tool in the background, they've mislead so many people as to how it should be used that when they now revert to how it should be used / how everyone else uses it it will cause a stink

it should be that they watch everything, review everything and then inform the pitch ref that he might want to take another look at it if they see something that he doesnt, this "VAR didnt even review that" should be nonsense, they should review it but not tell you unless there is a problem

Oh don’t get me wrong I thought at the euros it was used excellently.

My concern is the corrupt decisions that will now be made without any justification or comeuppance?

And I cannot get my head around how making the lines thicker is going to make a difference to the decisions either, like surely the edges of the lines will still give the same verdict regardless of thickness.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Oh don’t get me wrong I thought at the euros it was used excellently.

My concern is the corrupt decisions that will now be made without any justification or comeuppance?

And I cannot get my head around how making the lines thicker is going to make a difference to the decisions either, like surely the edges of the lines will still give the same verdict regardless of thickness.

Yep, in this league it will be fair for all the decisions that don't matter and the ones that are crucial for certain clubs will be a favorable decision and the tech guys will photoshop the the required image for the broadcast. 

A bit cynical but not entirely unimaginable. 

• Like 3

Â