The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

2 hours ago, a-k said:

VAR controversy in Chelsea-Soton. No surprise who was the lead VAR ref

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58776609

Just watched the extended highlights...  Chelsea get a clear goal disallowed from a VAR review of a dubious foul 30+ seconds back in the build up and JWP gets sent off 75 minutes in because of a clear yellow card which Mike Dean bullied the match official into upgrading to a red.  Didn't realize Mike Dean was the VAR official of that match, but it makes perfect sense now.  Can't be involved in a match unless he directly impacts the outcome.  

Edited by KMitch

• 4 weeks later...

Is there actually any point in the referee going to a screen to watch the replay because they always overturn their decision anyway. I get that they are trying to emphasise that the referee on the pitch has supreme authority but in practice that's just not the case.

Hause was definitely a red card as he destroyed the guy and Konsa not. No way thats a clear goalscoring chance 

Another disgraceful day for VAR 

Edited by Zatman

9 hours ago, Spoony said:

I thought Hause was a clear red and Konsa a bit 50/50 as he was being forced away from goal and it didn’t really look like there was much contact.

Weird. 

Ref was told what to do, send off the better defender, can't believe they didn't send them both off. There's an agenda with var and it's working perfectly, a little more time with it and they will be able to guarantee accurate results.

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He's wrong side of the last man, how on earth isn't it a clear goalscoring chance?

Was a player covering and from the angle Bowen was at then the covering player would have stopped it 

• 2 weeks later...

i don't really agree with the 2nd one either

the 1st is absolutely comical though, didn't touch it and you can say its an unnatural position or whatever guff the rule says but then if you understand what he's actually doing its unnatural

i take it ball to hand has joined the football rule myths

46 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Don't even tell me that was a penalty for handball. The officials are literally brainless.

Another problem with VAR, it means common sense can’t be applied.

Nobody would have give that a second thought previously. Ref says no way (if anyone dared appeal for it) and that would be it. Ref booked him too which was salt in the wound.

• Like 1

That handball penalty against San Marino was a terrible decision, nobody would have had any complaints if that hadn't been given. Lee Dixon was saying what was his arm doing up in that position, well Lee you should know you formed part of a back four that had their hands in the air claiming for offside most of the time.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

The only time I remember a ref going to the monitor and not changing their decision was Anthony Taylor for us when we played Palace, I believe.

There was one last season, I believe Brighton-Spurs. Clear foul when winning the ball just before the goal. Ref goes to the monitor and says yeah nah get f***ed VAR. I was shocked

Â