The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

12 minutes ago, sne said:

Just for context I think it can be called a dive even if there is contact but fair enough if people use a different interpretation. It's semantics.

Yep - Salah knows he can stay on his feet but moves his body in a way to guarantee contact and flops to con the referee. That example is both engineering contact and a dive. 

Mane on Cash was a disgusting example of a straight up dive - and the ref just blows play on. 

• Like 1

I remember them saying they were going to punish dives harder with yellow cards ahead of this season, or possibly ahead of last season. They really have went the other way with that one. A constant stream of dives who all goes unpunished so far this season.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Correct - not a dive as there’s contact, undoubtedly enough for them to both fall over. But it’s all started by Salah and shouldn’t have been a penalty.  With the Ings penalty claim, the keeper intends to play the ball and plays the ball whilst contact on Ings is minimal. If he absolutely clatters him, I’d probably think it should’ve been a pen - but he didn’t. Neither should’ve been pens.

With the Ramsay goal against Leicester, the ball doesn’t stop moving at any point despite Schmeichel getting a hand on the ball. I’m not sure on the rule interpretation, but I thought it should’ve been a goal. I think I even posted as such in the match thread, possibly elsewhere too.

I don’t think any of my thoughts on the most recent “tight” calls are controversial or anti-Villa.  With any close calls in games, I always think (to avoid bias) “would I want that for/against Villa?”.  Maybe this rational thinking is what annoys you, I don’t know.

To call me out and then not even give one example is poor form, though - if entirely unsurprising. 

You disagree and I disagree, back and forth, circles, etc.

I have just used the most recent example where you disagree with the manager and most everyone's opinion, and like I said, I am not going through old threads looking for examples because I am too lazy and I have other things I would rather be doing.

For the record, I never questioned your loyalty to Villa, and I would never do that. I just found what you were doing quite baffling. My thought was maybe you don't want to belong to the claret and blue specs clique, and want to be viewed as someone who views things objectively. Nothing really wrong with that.

I am going to leave it at that. Peace out.

Even when we win a game with a penalty (although when was the last time that happened) I think yay 3 points but we haven’t actually found a way to win we’ve just been effectively given a goal. 

It’s a win with an asterisk for me.

Collusion?, conspiracy?, cartel?, corruption? or coincidence?

Liverpool beat villa by a dodgy penalty 

Man utd beat Norwich by a dodgy penalty 

Man city beat Wolves by a dodgy penalty 

Chelsea beat Leeds by a penalty in 90+ injury time

All on the same weekend, all reviewed by VAR's

I have to say I am starting to get a bit suspicious and uneasy about how the so called "top" teams seem to get the decisions.

Is it dodgy brown envelopes passed between clubs and refs? There is huge amount of money in the game

Results massaged to make the season interesting for the TV/plastics?

I dunno.........but something is not right

VTID

Derek

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They haven't got a clue what they are looking at 

We've given space-age technology to chimps that smear their own faeces on the wall, and expect it to turn them into brain surgeosn.

They're all absolutely **** shocking. PGMOL needs to be binned off and started from scratch

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can just about give the on-pitch ref the benefit of the doubt. I don't know where he was, and if he looked away for a fraction of a second, I can excuse missing it, it's why we're meant to have VAR. But I'd honestly just immediately sack whoever the VAR was. I don't care who it is or how senior, if you think that's a foul with the benefit of replays, no amount of training can help you, and you're not fit to referee at any level of the pyramid. Sacked for incompetence. NEXT.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I can just about give the on-pitch ref the benefit of the doubt. I don't know where he was, and if he looked away for a fraction of a second, I can excuse missing it, it's why we're meant to have VAR. But I'd honestly just immediately sack whoever the VAR was. I don't care who it is or how senior, if you think that's a foul with the benefit of replays, no amount of training can help you, and you're not fit to referee at any level of the pyramid. Sacked for incompetence. NEXT.

Absolutely, it’s a clear dive. Fortunately this time it’s Newcastle so who gives a shit but it’s terrible 

2 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Collusion?, conspiracy?, cartel?, corruption? or coincidence?

Liverpool beat villa by a dodgy penalty 

Man utd beat Norwich by a dodgy penalty 

Man city beat Wolves by a dodgy penalty 

Chelsea beat Leeds by a penalty in 90+ injury time

All on the same weekend, all reviewed by VAR's

I have to say I am starting to get a bit suspicious and uneasy about how the so called "top" teams seem to get the decisions.

Is it dodgy brown envelopes passed between clubs and refs? There is huge amount of money in the game

Results massaged to make the season interesting for the TV/plastics?

I dunno.........but something is not right

VTID

Derek

They need the "big boys" to back it for it to be promoted as a success.

Managers each week always agree/disagree with VAR depending on which side of the decision they're on - Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City are the biggest/most popular 4 teams and their managers get the most media coverage - if they're out each week saying "VAR is wrong, its rubbish" etc then that isn't good PR for them.

When they're getting soft decisions and/or getting stonewall ones overturned in their favour then its a better look for VAR as they have Klopp, Guardiola etc singing its praises.

Replace VAR with "the match officials" in my post and you've covered football since, oh I dunno, about 1992.... 

Just part of the propaganda machine, and the rest of us have to fall in line.

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Example with the Maddison dive. It cannot be hard for an official in the VAR office to see and call that as a dive. Half of us could do the job better on 90% of the VAR calls, I'm sure.

Like I said they don't know what they're watching, they see the contact, they don't see the ball being kicked so of course it's a penalty 

They don't seem to apply common sense to how a human body reacts to contact 

• Like 1

Â