The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Obviously has its downsides, but Salford have been given a penalty against Derby for a foul that occurred maybe 5 yards outside the box.

VAR is probably good overall. 

That is what I want it used for. Stuff that someone can look at once, maybe twice, and say "Nah you ballsed that up mate", no delays of 3-4 minutes while they slow it down, enhance, and zoom in off the reflection of a player's retina, no geometry set. No theatre of the referee walking over to the screen, and then doing the macarana. Just rule out blatant mistakes. If it's not blooming obvious from a glance, crack on lads. 

• Like 2

Surprised there’s been no comment on this following the game today. Seems an incredibly harsh penalty against Newcastle - amazed VAR didn’t overturn or get the ref to look at the monitor. 

They just can’t seem (or don’t want) to get the balance right. 

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

Surprised there’s been no comment on this following the game today. Seems an incredibly harsh penalty against Newcastle - amazed VAR didn’t overturn or get the ref to look at the monitor. 

They just can’t seem (or don’t want) to get the balance right. 

But this IS how it should be used. “Seems incredibly harsh”, not enough to overturn it. It’s not about being harsh, it’s about being blatantly wrong.

I really liked it in the euros. Overall decisions were better than they would have been without. We aren’t going for perfection and we wouldn’t be able to get perfection. I thought Euros was the perfect example of how VAR should be used. 

• Like 1

Have to say I agree with this decision, if it's that tight then give the advantage to the attacker, especially when the defender is so far away from the attacker that a few cm doesn't make a difference.

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

But this IS how it should be used. “Seems incredibly harsh”, not enough to overturn it. It’s not about being harsh, it’s about being blatantly wrong.

That’s fair - I thought it was indeed blatantly wrong as the guy does a perfectly clean tackle, winning the ball and everything.

No issue on the fine margins not being overturned (and they will go both ways).

• Like 1

The West Ham penalty was a bad call, but overall from what I saw at the weekend the officiating was FAR better. Looked like referees were back in control of the game and not officiating by proxy.

The only downside was that it gave Mike Dean his mojo back.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, a m ole said:

The West Ham penalty was a bad call, but overall from what I saw at the weekend the officiating was FAR better. Looked like referees were back in control of the game and not officiating by proxy.

The only downside was that it gave Mike Dean his mojo back.

you're never going to get perfect calls all the time. you will occasionally get bad calls. the west ham one was one of those where the on field decision would've stood regardless of which way it was given. and that is the correct way to use VAR

i just hope that these occasional 'bad' calls are not dwelt upon too much and they go back to their old ways of re refereeing every decision

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So apparently VAR did check the Konsa-Gray incident

The Premier League have confirmed that VAR did check an incident involving Demarai Gray and Ezri Konsa during Saturday's game between Everton and Aston Villa.

However, the Premier League have now confirmed to the ECHO that the challenge was indeed checked, but it wasn't identified as a clear and obvious error.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/demarai-gray-var-incident-explained-21622495

Can anyone find a clip of the incident? I would like to see it again.

3 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Mike Dean confirmed ref against Utd you know that's screwed any chance we have.

They even picking they're own refs now.

ManUsKyPgmol 2-0 Aston Villa

And they will have to result to it too, Leon Bailey screamer disallowed to waving to the crowd etc

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Played at the same time as the Man City vs Chelsea "big" game but not on TV

Another Mike Dean masterclass incoming 

Mark "drama in the other game" on your bingo card 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Platt said:

The fact ManUre haven’t been awarded a penalty this season will certainly be amended in fine style this weekend!

I expect the softest of soft penalties to be gifted to ManUre, which Emi will duly save only for it to be retaken for some spurious reason until Ronaldo scores and gurns at the plethora of assembled cameras. 

there is no way we will be allowed to compete in this game, let alone win it! 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

The fact ManUre haven’t been awarded a penalty this season will certainly be amended in fine style this weekend!

I expect the softest of soft penalties to be gifted to ManUre, which Emi will duly save only for it to be retaken for some spurious reason until Ronaldo scores and gurns at the plethora of assembled cameras. 

there is no way we will be allowed to compete in this game, let alone win it! 

I really hope we score 3 if only to make it ultra difficult for them.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â