The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

13 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Exactly, the rules in football used to be more of a guide to ensuring a degree of fairness, now they’re interpreted to the nth degree and often modified to admonish players of being pointed out as the cheating arseholes they actually are.

For me, a penalty is an extreme reaction to an extreme situation, a player being taken out when clean through on goal, a deliberate handball on the line. Not for a tap on someone’s big toe or for someone initiating contact when the balls clearly going nowhere.

Look at the number of penalties this season, it’s beyond a joke, no one wants to see this volume of penalties in football.

But, maybe the problem is with me, maybe I’m stuck in the past and should welcome this new, clinical and soulless form of football.

Whilst very much agreeing with this point I suppose the argument could be made that Lloris's presence alters how Ollie approaches the loose ball.  He might have gotten there had the keeper not made that dash.  The keeper is therefore impeding a potentially successful action and becomes responsible for the ultimate collision.  But I'd still rather not see this kind of incident result in the award of a penalty.  If for no other reason than the chance of a goal resulting from the play being so obviously minimal.

I do fear that sometimes the (quite understandable) desire for consistency in refereeing decisions results in something of an unsporting race to the bottom.

According to ESPN we are up one point from the season on VAR decisions and Liverpool lost 6 and were unluckiest in the league 

Fulham was the highest with 4 points better off because  of VAR

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

According to ESPN we are up one point from the season on VAR decisions and Liverpool lost 6 and were unluckiest in the league 

Fulham was the highest with 4 points better off because  of VAR

Did they name them? 

IMO its a futile exercise, ESPN for example probably wont be giving trez a pen vs Brighton but 75%+ of us on here are (yes he got the ball but he moved it half an inch and then took the man out) 

Its incredibly subjective 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Did they name them? 

IMO its a futile exercise, ESPN for example probably wont be giving trez a pen vs Brighton but 75%+ of us on here are (yes he got the ball but he moved it half an inch and then took the man out) 

Its incredibly subjective 

Was a bit of a breakdown on Football 365,they mentioned Trez and the Watkins disallowed goal at West Han but not the penalty after it

I think looking back its just over ruled decisions

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t understand how thicker lines will help…

Surely makes no difference how thick the line is? 

They needed to change where the judgement was made from, IMO it should be from the boot, the part that is furthest forward or back dependent on the way the player is facing. 

5 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I don’t understand how thicker lines will help…

Surely makes no difference how thick the line is? 

They needed to change where the judgement was made from, IMO it should be from the boot, the part that is furthest forward or back dependent on the way the player is facing. 

theoretically there's less chance of being offside by a toenail as in line means on side, and with thicker lines it increases the chances of the player being in line with the defender?

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

theoretically there's less chance of being offside by a toenail as in line means on side, and with thicker lines it increases the chances of the player being in line with the defender?

Lol I dunno, surely both lines get thicker so it still makes no difference? I’m baffled.

After a couple of days of this tournament, regardless of the lower quality compared to the PL, I'm enjoying the game so much more without intrusive VAR **** in almost every game.

I really didn't enjoy last season, even though Villa did well. The PL have just sabotaged their product. This is what football should be like.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Perhaps the premiership is using pgmol and var in a more corrupt fashion.

The standard is a country mile better then here.

Maybe corrupt is the wrong word, I do think they don't want it though so have no real intention of trying to get the best use of it, they want it binned off

Still waiting to see one of these top European refs that has a similar body shape and age to John Moss 

• Like 1

So much  better use so far in this tournament.

Difference is euros so far only disallow goals if they simply have to e.g. the Swiss second v Wales.

Prem use is to try to find obscure and mind boggling reasons to disallow every other  goal scored and give penalties for any sort of contact in box.

I know which method is far far better to apply.

Edited by VillaChris

The refs are so much better.

There was a classic fall and scream combo by a Dutch player and it was so refreshing that it was just play on.

Every single one of those in the PL is given.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

The refs are so much better.

There was a classic fall and scream combo by a Dutch player and it was so refreshing that it was just play on.

Every single one of those in the PL is given.

Well. Not every single one of them, eh, Ollie? :( 

Just now, Davkaus said:

Well. Not every single one of them, eh, Ollie? :( 

That was more blatant.

I was more on about the better engineered ones that come with the loud scream :lol: 

Â