The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

36 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The only defence I can think of is that the ref thinks the ball is going out and he can't get it

If that's what he thinks then he shouldn't be a ref because it isn't the rule.

Nothing will come of it because it doesn’t have OGS or Klopp making noises in the press.

If it happened to United it would be all over the media now, and the referees association would have made a statement.

• Like 1

Hello,

On May 22, outside PL HQ in Paddington, London, a peaceful protest will be held against the use of VAR in Premier League football. This protest is for all football fans. 

VAR has ripped the heart and soul out of the game. It has sacrificed the soul and does not even get decisions correct, there are too many examples of VAR mistakes for me to list on here. 

VAR is also currently calling offside decisions which it cannot definitively call due to frame rates and margin of error. We can not know the goal that was disallowed for Chelsea in the FA cup final was definitively offside. 

Obviously most Villa fans are from the Birmingham area so no worries if you can't make it to the protest, but feel free to follow on twitter (@fansagainstvar_) or sign the petition to scrap VAR https://www.change.org/p/the-premier-league-remove-the-use-of-the-video-assistant-referee-var-from-premier-league-football?recruiter=908392471&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_petition&recruited_by_id=dd1eb300-da22-11e8-9f02-2b214d86d7dc

Interestingly the bulk of our followers are supporters of teams such as: Villa, Wolves, Sheff Utd and Norwich. I don't know if this is because more decisions have gone against those teams by VAR, but it is quite interesting. Hopefully more supporters of all teams get on board. 

Good luck with your game on the last day of the season. 

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

VAR isn't the problem

PGMOL is the problem 

VAR is amplifying the problem, though.

I say that as someone who was initially very much in favour, and liked how it was used in the 2018 World Cup. 

All things being equal, and there is no hope the refs will suddenly improve, I’d rather scrap it altogether than suffer through another season of that crap. 

48 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's the perfect illustration of why VAR should be scrapped. 

Even when it's completely obvious the humans still ignore the evidence in front of them, so the technology is utterly pointless. 

It's destroying the game and solving nothing. 

You can't take the dipshit / corrupt humans out of it, so just carry on as we were. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

We need an angry emoticon for this shit. The Kane one looks less of a penalty the more you see it, and watkins' is the opposite.

Not corrupt though, on no sirreeee!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's the perfect illustration of why VAR should be scrapped. 

Even when it's completely obvious the humans still ignore the evidence in front of them, so the technology is utterly pointless. 

It's destroying the game and solving nothing. 

You can't take the dipshit / corrupt humans out of it, so just carry on as we were. 

That's pretty much it isn't it. They're so incompetent that their use of technology that is supposed to make things better is actually making things worse. We should be giving them less rope, not more. Until they overhaul the refereeing setup, we need to suspend this VAR experiment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

If they HAVE to carry on with it, they've got to stop this obsession about not overturning the on field decision. 

In both cases I think they were influenced by the on field decision. It needs to be just say what you see.  

I’m absolutely astounded not only did the referee not give it, but that it wasn’t overturned by VAR. That’s as easy and clear a penalty as you’ll ever see. It could be used, and I’m not even slightly exaggerating here, as a prime example of what should be given as a direct free kick for a careless or reckless tackle or trip in the penalty area when training referees.

Has any noise been made about it today? Have they came out and explained themselves?

In terms of how I view football I don’t believe we should have had a penalty yesterday.

But we’ve been shafted in very similar circumstances (as shown above and I’m sure we all immediately thought of that incident yesterday) so it’s just inconsistent and perpetually hard to take, particularly when it feels like it’s geared up to favour the better/bigger teams.

I still can’t get over the opening goal away at Man City and how the media didn’t react.

• Like 1

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

In terms of how I view football I don’t believe we should have had a penalty yesterday.

But we’ve been shafted in very similar circumstances (as shown above and I’m sure we all immediately thought of that incident yesterday) so it’s just inconsistent and perpetually hard to take, particularly when it feels like it’s geared up to favour the better/bigger teams.

I still can’t get over the opening goal away at Man City and how the media didn’t react.

Wow. I know people view the ideal game differently, but I’m interested in what sense? I consider myself more in favour of the contact game and play pretty aggressively myself but I’m struggling to see an argument for it not being a penalty under most interpretations!

7 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Wow. I know people view the ideal game differently, but I’m interested in what sense? I consider myself more in favour of the contact game and play pretty aggressively myself but I’m struggling to see an argument for it not being a penalty under most interpretations!

Because the ball was going out, Watkins wasn’t going to reach it so whether Loris took him out or not is irrelevant to the pattern of the game. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Because the ball was going out, Watkins wasn’t going to reach it so whether Loris took him out or not is irrelevant to the pattern of the game. 

Thanks, fair I get it. I disagree, it shouldn’t matter, Lloris made an attempt for the ball, missed and took out the man - anything else is irrelevant and as it is in the rules. 

The Watkins penalty (or non penalty apparently) decision last night was absolutely astonishing. One of the worst ones I've seen.

Fine if a ref misses that in a game. You'd be annoyed but shit happens. But to have video replays of that and not think it's even worth looking at? Astounding.

Â