The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

23 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Players and referees definitely don't do the same job. But I couldn't really disagree with you any more so a pretty pointless debate between us when we see it so different.

Agreed - they don’t do the same job. What a player does on the pitch has far, far, far more impact than what a referee does. 

On 02/03/2021 at 12:58, bobzy said:

Honestly? Football fans. Look at the amount of nonsense that comes about over a referee making a mistake. “He should come out and publicly own it”, “they’re obviously corrupt” - it just doesn’t happen to the same extent with other sports. Abuse is not even close to being on the same level. Death threats because you made a mistake in your job? It’s ridiculous.

At the weekend, Ellis Genge got death threats for not clapping Wales players. The BBC reporter Sonia got foul abuse because of her questioned. Unfortunately, it’s social media, people can hide behind their keyboards and get away with abuse.

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Where's that reported Zatman?

It was on Irish radio earlier, ill see if can find a link bit its being led by the Juventus chairman. 

• Like 1

Plans are being discussed that would prevent Champions League clubs from buying players from each other, the European Club Association (ECA) president has revealed.

Andrea Agnelli told the press of a number of ideas that were on the table as 184 of Europe’s top clubs gathered at the ECA’s 25th general assembly, reports Matt Slater of The Athletic.

The major talking point was the revised structure of the Champions League to be put in place post-2024 which will apparently see a return to the ‘Swiss model’ and four more teams added to the competition.

It will be “beautiful” and close to “ideal”, says Agnelli, with the sticking point said to be how the extra four slots will be awarded – league places of “historic merit”.

Agnelli also said 20-team top flight leagues were unsustainable and mused over the changing habits and attention spans of the youth of today, asking how many of them watch a full 90 minutes.

But perhaps the most out-of-the-box point was made in reference to Champions League teams buying players from each other.

Agnelli said the teams were discussing the possibility of teams in Europe’s showcase competition being banned from transfers between themselves, instead forcing them to shop further down the ladder.

https://www.football365.com/news/champions-league-inter-club-transfer-ban-discussed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Agnelli also said 20-team top flight leagues were unsustainable and mused over the changing habits and attention spans of the youth of today, asking how many of them watch a full 90 minutes.

Is it what we're doing to the sport that's turning people off? No, it's these youths, and their attention spans...

• Like 1

The new CL format is a total dogs breakfast purely designed to make more money. Well obviously.

When everyone's interest in round robin format is declining they propose to extend that section to 10 games.

This will surely spell the end of the League Cup so that 60 plus years of football history in the bin then. There would be no way that they could fit it in the fixtures with this new format. So one less trophy Villa could win every season.

Edited by The Fun Factory

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The new CL format is a total dogs breakfast purely designed to make more money. Well obviously.

When everyone's interest in round robin format is declining they propose to extend that section to 10 games.

This will surely spell the end of the League Cup so that 60 plus years of football history in the bin then. There would be no way that they could fit it in the fixtures with this new format. So one less trophy Villa could win every season.

If they did make a change to the league cup I think they’d just exclude PL teams and get rid of the football league trophy 

The biggest clubs can no longer afford to operate in the way they have - United, Juventus, Barcelona and Real Madrid are absolutely drowning in debt. The changes are all around trying to stop that - he want's to keep transfer fees down, he wants to make sure the big clubs play in the Champions league and qualify for the later stages and he wants to provide earlier games that will generate more TV money.

He's also talking about reducing the size of the Premier league to eighteen clubs.

Arseholes.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If they did make a change to the league cup I think they’d just exclude PL teams and get rid of the football league trophy 

Well maybe but UEFA don't like domestic cup competitions the same week as European weeks so I can't see how they will fit it in unless they just ignore that rule.

The other option is to to let the European teams to field U23 sides which I think would make it a bit of a mockery.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think they should exclude European teams from it

That way there'll be a cycle of European qualifiers keeping it fresh and making the league Cup exciting on paper with the likes of us, Everton, West ham, wolves, arsenal all going for it 

45 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

This is utter madness. Really hope this new structure doesn't get approved. It's complete nonsense. 

It's as good as done. Just debating now how the extra 4 spots will be spilt between the leagues. I expect it will be two wildcard for the two best mid tier leagues and 2 spots for the biggest leagues so england should get 5 CL teams every few years. 

Predictions of demise will be grossly exaggerated. We will just have to wait and see how the changes play out. One thing we might see is that the league cup becomes a competition for teams not in europe. That would be odd. 

I think the not buying players from elite clubs also might work against them financially unless they put a cap on transfer fees which is definitely illegal. Not sure what also makes these elite clubs. Cant be somebody like Arsenal or Spurs for example

Just now, Zatman said:

I think the not buying players from elite clubs also might work against them financially unless they put a cap on transfer fees which is definitely illegal. Not sure what also makes these elite clubs. Cant be somebody like Arsenal or Spurs for example

It can be if Spurs or Arsenal get the Champions League wild card position based on their coefficient.

He's said the aim is to avoid any more three figure transfers. I think it's one aimed at stopping PSG or Citeh dominating the Champions league.

Â