The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

Not withstanding the lack of thought of how this will impact fans who go and watch live, for those with partners, could you get away with watching that much football on weekend? I simply can't justify watching more than 2 games a weekend. There's no way I could watch 7-8 games a over the weekend without it negatively affecting my wife and kids, in that I wouldn't be as available as I currently am.

This proposal of more fixture slots would blatantly be a way of getting the Premier League (TM) in front of more eyes around of the world. I can see why the clubs would want it, but how many are going to watch Burnley vs Luton at the new time slots? All the glamour fixtures will be played late at night.

On 21/09/2023 at 15:11, calcifer said:

6:30 K.O on Sunday - Newcastle Vs Brighton 🤣 

Had a look at some of the fixtures involving Newcastle after this.

Their worst is probably Villa away at 7:45 on Tuesday 30th Jan (currently).

On 20/09/2023 at 13:26, fightoffyour said:

Is this an extra TV game per week then basically?

I think it might be as many as three extra games every weekend - under the new deal it looks like there will be both a Friday and a Monday game, plus the 18:30 Sunday kick off and the one they're trialling today the 20:00 Saturday night game - that one will be fun for away fans.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

What was it like for fans travelling up to them out of interest?

Only one irregular fixture - Everton travel there for 7:45 on Wednesday 3rd April (currently).  Strangely, Newcastle also travel to Everton for 7:45 on Tuesday 5th Dec.

A couple of long distance Saturday games; Newcastle away at Bournemouth (5:30 on Saturday 11th Nov) and Arsenal away at Newcastle (5:30 on Saturday 4th Nov).

• Thanks 1

In Germany they tried to introduce Monday night games and the fans collaborated a protest and the games rarely are played now on Mondays unless a rare game of a team playing in Europa

The English fans need to do similar. Even our own fans should be protesting hikes and stuff. Liverpool fans did a walk out a few seasons back when they wanted to increase prices amd it worked. 

Monday night is more traditional for us though isn't it, the Friday night game is the "new" one and this Saturday night game now too

The issue with both the Friday and Saturday night games is that TV fans will actually enjoy it, if I was still in my 20s with no kids I'd love a saturday hight game, if I was still in my early 30s going to away games id hate it

The Sunday night games I'd protest against, same with Christmas eve and new years eve games, they can **** right off with them

• Like 1

I can see the opposition to more timeslots in general, but for a travelling fan, is a Sunday 18:30 kick off really worse than 20:00 on a Monday/Tuesday?

No need to try and get out of work early for most people. and there's time to get there early and have a couple of beers if that's your thing. Earlier kickoff so you're getting back home earlier, and the public transport from 21:00 on a Sunday probably isn't any worse than 22:30 on a Tuesday night? If I had to pick, I'd probably prefer the Sunday tbh.

The real pisstake is examples like above, Newcastle to Brighton. In theory I'd like some kind of restriction on how games are scheduled such that away fans don't have to travel hundreds of miles for an evening game, and have some viable public transport home, but that probably just means Newcastle never have an evening game again

Is there any way of tracking how many TV games we've had over the years?

I'm thinking more about it, I had a season ticket from 09/10 until Steve Bruce including a 4 or 5 year spell doing 10+ away games a year... I can't remember many Monday night TV games if I'm honest, can obviously remember plenty of midweek games, Saturday evening games, Sunday games but not Monday night TV games, definitely never a friday

So I can say I definitely don't want villa playing Sunday nights because as a fan attending games it's shit but realistically we'd maybe get 1 a year

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Is there any way of tracking how many TV games we've had over the years?

I'm thinking more about it, I had a season ticket from 09/10 until Steve Bruce including a 4 or 5 year spell doing 10+ away games a year... I can't remember many Monday night TV games if I'm honest, can obviously remember plenty of midweek games, Saturday evening games, Sunday games but not Monday night TV games, definitely never a friday

So I can say I definitely don't want villa playing Sunday nights because as a fan attending games it's shit but realistically we'd maybe get 1 a year

off hand since promotion if dont count Christmas or Covid schedules. We played Leicester, West Ham, United in the cup, Forest on a Monday night, I think just the West Ham game was at home

I think we had more TV games in Championship than Premier League

• Like 1

I'm glad he is fine, of course, but the fact Rashford has a '£700k' Rolls Royce is another one for this thread. Not specifically about Rashford, it could be any premier league player. 

There is so much money sloshing around at the top end of football, it is obscene. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm glad he is fine, of course, but the fact Rashford has a '£700k' Rolls Royce is another one for this thread. Not specifically about Rashford, it could be any premier league player. 

There is so much money sloshing around at the top end of football, it is obscene. 

When you see stuff like grealish signing £10m a year boot deals, £1.5m with gucci and then boohoo and the other couple that he has on top of the £16m base wage that city pay him that you know he'll also have bonuses on its absolutely **** mental

Said in the kamara thread I don't think any football has any kind of affinity for any club anymore, I think the days of saying a player loves the villa are gone (not dragging that back to grealish just in general) there is so much money being sloshed about that it is just a job and they'll all jump ship at the drop of a multi million pound hat

This notion that kids follow players rather than clubs and as stupid as it sounds, it is better to a degree than what us old uns have where we follow clubs and then get duped by loving these players

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xela said:

Plus Rashford has a 450k Rolls Royce Mulliner, 400k McClaren 750s, £350k Lambourghini Urus Black performance and £280k Mercedes G Wagon which has been sitting at Metcedes Manchester for 2 months repaired and ready to go.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, villa4europe said:

When you see stuff like grealish signing £10m a year boot deals, £1.5m with gucci and then boohoo and the other couple that he has on top of the £16m base wage that city pay him that you know he'll also have bonuses on its absolutely **** mental

Said in the kamara thread I don't think any football has any kind of affinity for any club anymore, I think the days of saying a player loves the villa are gone (not dragging that back to grealish just in general) there is so much money being sloshed about that it is just a job and they'll all jump ship at the drop of a multi million pound hat

This notion that kids follow players rather than clubs and as stupid as it sounds, it is better to a degree than what us old uns have where we follow clubs and then get duped by loving these players

As an old un, I love my club, and I love what the players do for my club, rather than loving the player. Once they leave I couldn't care less about them. They have no loyalty to Villa and I have no loyalty to them. Look at how many of the 1982 team went on to play for local rivals. Players come and go, but the club and the fans are the constant.

That said God is the probably the only former player who I have an interest in.

24 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

As an old un, I love my club, and I love what the players do for my club, rather than loving the player. Once they leave I couldn't care less about them. They have no loyalty to Villa and I have no loyalty to them. Look at how many of the 1982 team went on to play for local rivals. Players come and go, but the club and the fans are the constant.

That said God is the probably the only former player who I have an interest in.

I once pulled nigel spink's leg about going to sha as a coach.

His one word justification ?

Mortgage. 

Back then there were few sponsorship opportunities or image rights to cushion the blow of no contract renewal.

Different times, indeed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I once pulled nigel spink's leg about going to sha as a coach.

His one word justification ?

Mortgage. 

Back then there were few sponsorship opportunities or image rights to cushion the blow of no contract renewal.

Different times, indeed.

Yeah, I think that's my point. For them it's a job, for us it's a passion. Maybe we expect too much loyalty. I mean we would all take a shit job if it was absolutely necessary 😁

• Like 1

Kind of says it all when even a club like us, that hasn't won anything for decades, has to sacrifice our cup competitions in order to try and finish 5th in the league. And the fact most of us would be happy, myself included,  if we did finish 5th.

But I still would love to win a cup :(

• Like 1

23 hours ago, blunther said:

I don't get the amount of our fans saying we're better off out of the League Cup so we can focus on the league. We're not gonna win the league. Is it so we cn focus on 5th? Well, we're not gonna win the Champions League either. What's the point of striving to get into different competitions just so you can make up the numbers. We can win the League up. We can win the Conference. Let's win them then. I still remember 1994 and 1996 at Wembley even though I was young. It's the entire point of football. I don't care about getting into a competition to attract a few more sponsors so we can spend more money on players who often disappoint, I want to win something.

Man City out of the cup, and we can beat any other team on our day. What a wasted opportunity.

While I agree with the attitude, you only have to see how we've done when we rotate away from our first team. 

It's realistically very very hard for all but the richest teams to assemble a squad with depth at the quality we'd need to take on the first teams of other sides, who may be prioritising a particular competition.

You can't win 4 trophies with a squad of 13 or 14 first team quality players, you just can't. Recent results after losing folk to injuries show that that's where we're at.

At the end of the season those 14 players would crumble to f***ing dust.

Edited by HKP90

Â