January transfer window 2018

Jareth

24 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Clayton Donaldson would be a perfect signing for Bruce's 'system', expert at playing under kick and rush. 

we are linked with his strike partner according to Sky commentators :lol:

This transfer window is a bit of quandary for me.

we certainly need better players to get promoted but do we allow Bruce to spend more money bringing his players in when it looks more than likely we’ll fail to go up under his management? 

I really wouldnt let Bruce sign anyone else, even on a free transfer, it’ll be just more wages to get rid of in the summer.

The guy can’t coach the players he has, it’s completely pointless letting him buy his way out of trouble any further.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, theboyangel said:

This transfer window is a bit of quandary for me.

we certainly need better players to get promoted but do we allow Bruce to spend more money bringing his players in when it looks more than likely we’ll fail to go up under his management? 

Well apparently there is no money so it will be loan signings. So that sense we may be ok. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well apparently there is no money so it will be loan signings. So that sense we may be ok. 

I am not comfortable when we sign players......haven't been for some time......we seem to sign players to fit the status of the club as opposed to the needs of the team, if you get what i mean.

no hunger.

Loans players suit me now, due to my lack of confidence.

• Like 2

At least FFP means that we should only be signing players on loan in this window. Even if there was a little bit of money available for permanent signings I would hope that Dr Tony sees sense in not letting Bruce use it to sign more players to fit in with his hoofball tactics. Last thing we need is more shit players on long-term contracts who will sill be here well after the manager has inevitably been sacked.

12 minutes ago, John said:

We just need to sign up to three loan signings who will hit the ground running and get us winning games again. I'm looking forward to see who SB will bring in to achieve that. :)

Think we are only allowed 1 more as have 3 on loan already

I have no real worries about Bruce in terms of dipping his toe again in the transfer window. Over the two previous windows he has turned a big profit and reduced the wage bill. The one big stick he can be beat with is the Hogan signing which for possibly a number of reasons hasn't worked out. I think firstly because it was a big step up for him in terms of size of club which he initially struggled with, he has then been blighted by injuries never going more than a couple of months before being out again, the manager seems unable to set us up to get the best out of him and you combine it all and he looks totally devoid of confidence.

As for Bruces other signings Terry obviously speaks for himself and Bruce was certainly helped by the fact we are the biggest club at this level and one of only a handful of clubs at this level who could pay him the necessary wages, Samba on a free looks fine, Taylor for Ayew and a few mill our way very good business, Hourihane and Bree for 5 mill combined seems decent value with Hourihane doing ok and Bree a good prospect for the future, Lansbury at 3 mill has been hit and miss, Elmo for a mill has done well at both right mid and right back and Whelan for a mill I know is not everyone's flavour of the month but I think he has done ok, Bjarnasson looks poor.

In terms of loan signings Johnstone has done well overall, Snodgrass and Onomah have been hit and miss.

Overall I would rate Bruces business at 7/10 given he has had to bring money into the club and reduce the wage bill. Whether he has got the best out of the players he brought into the club alongside those he inherited I think is certainly up for debate and I would say overall he hasn't.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I have no real worries about Bruce in terms of dipping his toe again in the transfer window. Over the two previous windows he has turned a big profit and reduced the wage bill. The one big stick he can be beat with is the Hogan signing which for possibly a number of reasons hasn't worked out. I think firstly because it was a big step up for him in terms of size of club which he initially struggled with, he has then been blighted by injuries never going more than a couple of months before being out again, the manager seems unable to set us up to get the best out of him and you combine it all and he looks totally devoid of confidence.

As for Bruces other signings Terry obviously speaks for himself and Bruce was certainly helped by the fact we are the biggest club at this level and one of only a handful of clubs at this level who could pay him the necessary wages, Samba on a free looks fine, Taylor for Ayew and a few mill our way very good business, Hourihane and Bree for 5 mill combined seems decent value with Hourihane doing ok and Bree a good prospect for the future, Lansbury at 3 mill has been hit and miss, Elmo for a mill has done well at both right mid and right back and Whelan for a mill I know is not everyone's flavour of the month but I think he has done ok, Bjarnasson looks poor.

In terms of loan signings Johnstone has done well overall, Snodgrass and Onomah have been hit and miss.

Overall I would rate Bruces business at 7/10 given he has had to bring money into the club and reduce the wage bill. Whether he has got the best out of the players he brought into the club alongside those he inherited I think is certainly up for debate and I would say overall he hasn't.

Merry Xmas Mark.....another well rounded post.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Merry Xmas Mark.....another well rounded post.

Cheers mate. Merry Christmas to you as well. Let's hope Bruce has just unwrapped the key to getting the best out of a squad of players that he has done well to assemble but hasn't got the best out of ( I am trying to keep this on topic :D )

• Like 1