January transfer window 2018

Jareth

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Misread that name as Mitrovic at Newcastle.

Would actually take him. Yes he's a nutcase but given a run he can score goals, certainly at championship level. Not getting a sniff under Benitez anyway.

Certainly a better bet on loan than a kid with very little experience IMO. 

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think we should perhaps go for someone else who is a big championship name or bigger who will gaurantee goals on loan.

We have 3 of them on the books with one in Australia :lol:

19 hours ago, romavillan said:

Call me old fashioned, but I reckon a team trying to push for automatic promotion should have an actual left back playing left back. Hutton has been ok, but a real natural left sided player might combine better with Adomah and offer natural width on the overlap and well, not be playing on the wrong side of the pitch.

Have I missed the bit where Neil Taylor doesn't play for us?

Linked with Jonathan Walters and Ulloa

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/893383/Aston-Villa-News-Steve-Bruce-January-Deal-Leicester-Leonardo-Ulloa-EFL-Championship

Steve Bruce is in the market for a big striker and Ulloa, who has made just three substitute appearances in the Premier League this season, fits the bill. 

A deal will prove difficult for Bruce, however, with Villa limited by what they can spend due to Financial Fair Play concerns. 

Alternative targets are being considered and Burnley veteran Jon Walters is also on the club's radar, according to The Sun on Sunday.

Ulloa, 31, has Championship experience, having scored 23 goals in an 18-month stint with Brighton between 2013 and 2014. 

He played a useful role, mostly as an impact substitute, when Leicester stunned the Premier League to win the 2015/16 title.  

Walters has never been prolific - even in the 2nd tier, whats more, he isnt a big physical striker either, about the same size as Gabby.

For Brueball to be effective we need someone whos good in the air, like Gestede - so its surprising Bruce let him go to bring in Hogan. Maybe he wanted to change his style of play but didnt realise you have to change tactics and not just personnel. 

• Haha 1

Ulloa would be ideal but how long would it take to get his match fitness back when Villa are facing the business end of the season? That's my only worry but he's a very good player.

• Like 1

Walters has 43 goals in 266 games since the 10/11 season. (gabby has 30 in 183 so they have pretty much the same average...)

The Championship is a step down, but he's 34 now.

We have enough old timers with their best far behind them, sure he'd work hard but he's not what we need.

Ulloa would be a much better option.

So with that said, welcome Mr Walters.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, striker said:

Ulloa would be ideal but how long would it take to get his match fitness back when Villa are facing the business end of the season? That's my only worry but he's a very good player.

We will have that issue regardless of who we sign. They are more than likely going to be surplus to requirements at their team.

Panathinaikos are in huge financial trouble, their players will be allowed to break their contracts as they're not getting payed.

They might have some player we could pick up.

Niklas Hult could be an option for cover at LB/LM. As could Emanuel Insua.

On the whole thou they are in a retched state, even got our old friend Yacouba Sylla on loan...

If funds are tight I’d seriously take a go on Ruud Boymans ...

followed the eredivsie as always liked watching Ajax a lot and this guy always seemed to score goals never prolific or world beating but always double figures for mid-lower clubs and works hard for 90mins in games

had a bad season and a half,  but only 28, may not be able to step up to prem but deffo more than good for the championship

currently a free agent, wages would be low, take him on a 6 month deal and if he steps up the option of an extension ..

would be brilliant for now and a squad player for rest of the season 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kbdrum88 said:

If funds are tight I’d seriously take a go on Ruud Boymans ...

followed the eredivsie as always liked watching Ajax a lot and this guy always seemed to score goals never prolific or world beating but always double figures for mid-lower clubs and works hard for 90mins in games

had a bad season and a half,  but only 28, may not be able to step up to prem but deffo more than good for the championship

currently a free agent, wages would be low, take him on a 6 month deal and if he steps up the option of an extension ..

would be brilliant for now and a squad player for rest of the season 

I know about Boyman's he is a good player but he signed a deal with Al Shabab in Saudi Arabia a few months back. Alas he isn't on a free anymore but i like the way you think Kbdrum88

21 minutes ago, Kbdrum88 said:

Thought that had been cancelled 

2 goals in 8 games for them mate (but not read he had been cancelled anywhere) i was going to suggest him to my club i work for as scout St Mirren as he would be an immense free transfer. But when i did some digging realised he played for Al Shebab. Transfermarkt and few other places is not accurate enough.

Edited by Villan4Life

Well it’s reported here he was watching the Utrecht game last night and has been training with his old club

https://www.duic.nl/opinie/fc-utrecht-geeft-vijfde-plaats-weg/

and im sure when I was catching up with highlights of the game this morning the commentator during said he was a free agent training with his old club whilst talking about him being at the game, hence why I suggested him