January transfer window 2018

Jareth

26 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I have no real worries about Bruce in terms of dipping his toe again in the transfer window. Over the two previous windows he has turned a big profit and reduced the wage bill. The one big stick he can be beat with is the Hogan signing which for possibly a number of reasons hasn't worked out. I think firstly because it was a big step up for him in terms of size of club which he initially struggled with, he has then been blighted by injuries never going more than a couple of months before being out again, the manager seems unable to set us up to get the best out of him and you combine it all and he looks totally devoid of confidence.

As for Bruces other signings Terry obviously speaks for himself and Bruce was certainly helped by the fact we are the biggest club at this level and one of only a handful of clubs at this level who could pay him the necessary wages, Samba on a free looks fine, Taylor for Ayew and a few mill our way very good business, Hourihane and Bree for 5 mill combined seems decent value with Hourihane doing ok and Bree a good prospect for the future, Lansbury at 3 mill has been hit and miss, Elmo for a mill has done well at both right mid and right back and Whelan for a mill I know is not everyone's flavour of the month but I think he has done ok, Bjarnasson looks poor.

In terms of loan signings Johnstone has done well overall, Snodgrass and Onomah have been hit and miss.

Overall I would rate Bruces business at 7/10 given he has had to bring money into the club and reduce the wage bill. Whether he has got the best out of the players he brought into the club alongside those he inherited I think is certainly up for debate and I would say overall he hasn't.

Are these 2 actually true?

I imagine Terry, Whelan, Snodgrass, Elmo, Taylor, Lansbury and a few more all cost a fair bit in wages.

And the transfer profit I assume is without counting the value loss on players who have little or no sell on value. McGatemack and Thsibola are worth a combined sum of nothing now for example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Are these 2 actually true?

I imagine Terry, Whelan, Snodgrass, Elmo, Taylor, Lansbury and a few more all cost a fair bit in wages.

And the transfer profit I assume is without counting the value loss on players who have little or no sell on value. McGatemack and Thsibola are worth a combined sum of nothing now for example.

I think Mark was analyzing Bruce's performance in the transfer market. McCormack & Tish were signed by RDM and Steve Clarke. 

5 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I think Mark was analyzing Bruce's performance in the transfer market. McCormack & Tish were signed by RDM and Steve Clarke. 

Well yeah, and the players we sold were also signed by other people and were sold for a loss.

And even though Baker and Amavi were not pulling up trees for us, selling them has weakened our squad by some margin IMO.

Getting them out the door along with a few guy's who already had transfers in place (Veretout, Sanchez,) is hardly a feat. 

Gestede was sold at a loss but was money in, but a bit odd thou we continued to play with a target man in £15m Hogan.

Most of our players sold have gone for whatever someone was willing to shell out and were still paying over the odds or very high wages for the ones we bring in.

I see this as a club thing rather than a Bruce thing thou as I don't think he is solely in charge of transfers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sne said:

Well yeah, and the players we sold were also signed by other people and were sold for a loss.

And even though Baker and Amavi were not pulling up trees for us, selling them has weakened our squad by some margin IMO.

Getting them out the door along with a few guy's who already had transfers in place (Veretout, Sanchez,) is hardly a feat. 

Gestede was sold at a loss but was money in, but a bit odd thou we continued to play with a target man in £15m Hogan.

Most of our players sold have gone for whatever someone was willing to shell out and were still paying over the odds or very high wages for the ones we bring in.

I see this as a club thing rather than a Bruce thing thou as I don't think he is solely in charge of transfers.

I agree about Baker but I think Amavi needed to go and be successful in France before he has another crack at making it in England/PL.

In general you're correct about Villa being run in an absolutely shambolic way. It's really sad to think that actually, as much as I despise him for the opportunities he missed to take Villa truly global, Ellis is the last person to run Villa in a sensible way. Steve Stride was a huge part of that and of Randy 'silver spoon' Lerner got rid of him as soon as he took over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villan_007 said:

Saw Rob holding and Afobe on loan on twitter. Would be a decent bit of business 

I've got no idea how well stocked Bournemouth are with strikers, or indeed how Afobe is rated at the club, but i think i read that Defoe has been ruled out for a couple of months with injury.  

They may not wont to lose another striker at this moment in time. Afobe would be a great signing though if he is still the player he was at Wolves? 

14 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Does this apply to Januzaj though - can we bring him in? 

I think they are clean enough.....they have showers and everything....We don't want them having bubbles blown up their arses, we do too much of that.:D

I know there are plenty of central midfielders at the club but Kenny McLean from Aberdeen should be signed on a free transfer at the end of the season(not renewing his contract). Good fit, hungry footballer with good footballing ability and not a bad age at 26. Wages can't be too high coming from Scotland higher. Whelan and Jedinak will both be (even more) unable to run with old age next season anyway.

not defending sb but whelan /jedi are prem midfielders which was needed,

its bad luck kodja has been injured & not found his form from last season

terry will be back & add the needed bottle needed for the run in

albert injury was blow v brentford other night & they were on tv,they raised their game

if sb can bring in a forward soon the results will turn,

Don’t know if Bamford is getting much game time at Boro but always thought he was a tidy link striker and would be ideal to give young Davis a rest if Bruce is staying until the end of the season. Not sure Boro would loan him to Villa though for obvious reasons?