• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

on calls for Jaap Stam, Reading were really poor last night. It was like us under Lambert after he visited Germany and had his footballing epiphany. Nothing passes between the back 4, slow build up and no penetration. Unfortunately we gave them easy chances due to us being more insipid then they.

Just now, praisedmambo said:

How so? I didn't vote but if I did vote for him it would have been because he's doing a good job at Brentford, having them playing attacking football. I forgot that he was a Villa fan and barely registered it when people were talking about it before. He has six years of experience as a manager. Mellberg is manager of a second division Swedish team and has been a manager for a year. I think they're pretty contrasting options. 

And Smith never actually played for us. Mellberg did—I think appointing Mellberg would be massively sentimental as he is someone I supported and someone who was great for the club. I have no sentiment towards Dean Smith. I just like what seems to be a young manager doing a good job with an attacking team.

It's just my opinion mate tbh. I've acknowledged he has more experience, but I maintain he's higher up in people minds because of the connection as a fan. I'm happy to be wrong, I just genuinely don't think think he'd be getting 30% of the vote if he wasn't that's all. That's the sentiment bit, but I accept it's not the same. 

Mellberg is winning games and his team is scoring loads of goals, I honestly don't see how Smith would be any more nailed on to do a good job than Mellberg - other than that extra experience. 

Im not advocating Mellberg (although I wouldn't object to him with Little alongside and yes that is PURE sentimentality from me!), but I don't see the difference between taking a punt on a Wagner type, taking a punt on Smith or taking a punt on him. Laursen would be the same. How much of a gamble did Madrid take with Zidane? What had Pep done when Barca gave him the job? Extreme examples, I know, but just how I see it. 

Personally, I'd bite the bullet and go for Big Sam. He's got all the attributes we looked for in Bruce, but I think he's more in keeping with the modern game and miles better from a tactical perspective. It's a bit boring and safe, but nothing else is floating my boat. 

If we sometime in the future hire Mellberg he needs to be allowed to bring his assistant Azrudin Valentic with him.

No more of this picking people from all over the place who hasn't worked together as a manager/coach team.

Valentic is a key part to why Mellberg and BP are doing so well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, a m ole said:

on calls for Jaap Stam, Reading were really poor last night. It was like us under Lambert after he visited Germany and had his footballing epiphany. Nothing passes between the back 4, slow build up and no penetration. Unfortunately we gave them easy chances due to us being more insipid then they.

Yet they still won with ease. Thats the kind of manager we want. Someone not scared to be patient but also willing to have a go.

The more I think about it the more I think Stam is the man

24 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Yep - Ive heard reading fans complain about his dour style of football - but he does win a fair few games. I wouldn't want him to be honest. - I also think Bruce will be here a while longer.

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yep - Ive heard reading fans complain about his dour style of football - but he does win a fair few games. I wouldn't want him to be honest. - I also think Bruce will be here a while longer.

I'm starting to think you are right because they havent sacked him yet even after last nights result.  I can see them giving him to the international break in the hope he turns it around.  No chance of that happening

5 hours ago, Jareth said:

100% agree, we need to slow it down, bring the youth in and start playing the beautiful game like everyone else has been for blumin ages. Doesn't matter if it takes 2 seasons, we need to be resilient if we ever go up and I'm not sure rebuilding the entire team on promotion is the way forward, we need a philosophy into which we can plug in the same sorts of player but who are just better quality, when the time comes.

This season was supposed to be our "2 seasons" and as said before Di Matteo kept stressing it.

I hope the people who are patient for it to be "as long as it takes" are not complaining when the signings start to more signal us being an average (currently below average) championship team.

6 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

They are not playing with balls, they are playing with human heads, ive seen a video from one of their training sessions.

And their results have been terrible for a while now.

40 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I hope the people who are patient for it to be "as long as it takes" are not complaining when the signings start to more signal us being an average (currently below average) championship team.

No chance!

17 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

People touting Karanka, just remember 3 of his signings were Gestede, Adama Traore & Guzan. 3 players most couldn't wait to get rid of from us. 

That transfer activity doesn't fill me with any confidence.

I agree with this i think he woukd be poor

blimey, that list is so depressing.

Moyes, Big Sham and Pardew are just Bruce Mk2

The rest all have a whiff of Sherwood and Remi Garde about them.

I guess Dean Smith would be my choice but would worry about him dealing with some of the names we've got in the squad.

57 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

People touting Karanka, just remember 3 of his signings were Gestede, Adama Traore & Guzan. 3 players most couldn't wait to get rid of from us. 

That transfer activity doesn't fill me with any confidence.

Were they though ? Things went south in the last 18 months or so between karanka and Gibson.  Who knows who was signing those players.