• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

I really want us to pick a manager who hasn't got the bulk of his managerial career in the Championship or the lower leagues in Britain.

I'm not saying one can't find a good manager there, my detailed knowledge is far too low to make such a silly claim.

But I want someone from a different school of management and football culture.

Guess you can claim we had that with Garde and it didn't work out, so let's never try it again. Fair enough, but I got the feeling Garde didn't even want to be a manager. He quit his previous jib for private reasons, and he hasn't had a job since.

Anyway. I really don't want us to go for someone from the old guard or for one of our previous managers like MON or Sherwood.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

No.

He is too much of a 'nice guy'.

We need RAFA BENITHEZ.

We do but he isnt going to come. I dont think Bruce is a "nice" guy either but look how thats worked out. We need someone who can utilise this squad with ACTUAL tactics not just hoofball. From this group of players, I can see a very good passing side who can play through the front and good pressing game with the threat of a counter 

Jaap Stam - plays attractive football and knows how to get the best out of players.

I know a  few people involved with the Reading first time squad (both players and staff) and all of them say how great he is and he has everyone totally behind what he is doing they all cant speak highly enough of him.

The worry is (as has been mentioned elsewhere) that with Round and Wyness here already we'll end up with their buddy Moyes.I don't think we need another footballing dinosaur.

I understand the push for Dean Smith, but I would prefer someone who has been in and around big clubs, so I'd go for someone like Jaap Stam or Karanka if we couldn't get Jokanovic

• Like 1

I would be thrilled with Stam 

Interestingly he signed a 2 year deal so he will only have about a year. Therefore compensation will be ok I think.

Stam is my number one choice after reading that as he is a tough charchter, played at massive clubs and plays a great passing possession game 

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I would be thrilled with Stam 

Interestingly he signed a 2 year deal so he will only have about a year. Therefore compensation will be ok I think.

Stam is my number one choice after reading that as he is a tough charchter, played at massive clubs and plays a great passing possession game 

Not my first choice but I'd take him ahead of Bruce - plays decent style of football.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

How many votes would Smith be getting if he wasn't a Villa fan? 

Brentford had 24 shots, 16 on target against Bristol City last night. It'll take us half a season to get to those stats at the rate we're going. 

I'm more intrigued by him than the usual names. 

• Like 1

Stam is a good shout and has plenty of big club/ top level experience as a player, so shouldn't be too hesitant at a 'big club' like us. He's doing a very good job at Reading with moderate resources, he has them playing possession football gets a pretty good amount of cutting edge out of average attacking players. I would not be upset with him being our manager at all. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Brentford had 24 shots, 16 on target against Bristol City last night. It'll take us half a season to get to those stats at the rate we're going. 

I'm more intrigued by him than the usual names. 

I'm just asking really. My own view is, he's doing a decent job where he is, but if people didn't know he was a fan, I'm not sure he'd be getting the votes tbh. 

I don't see a great deal of difference between calling for him or Mellberg, I know Smith has more experience, but it still smacks of sentimentality, just in a different way. 

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I voted for him and had no idea he was a Villa fan until I read your post.

Fair do's :thumb:

It is a genuine he question, rather than a dig. 

I'll be honest and say I've not seen or heard enough about him, other than he's doing a decent job at Brentford. 

It just feels as though the guy is getting more attention because of the fan connection? 

Just now, wazzap24 said:

Fair do's :thumb:

It is a genuine he question, rather than a dig. 

I'll be honest and say I've not seen or heard enough about him, other than he's doing a decent job at Brentford. 

It just feels as though the guy is getting more attention because of the fan connection? 

To be fair, I said previously that nobody on that list particularly inspired me. I just chose Smith as a bit of a hopeful choice as he's doing so well at brentford.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I'm just asking really. My own view is, he's doing a decent job where he is, but if people didn't know he was a fan, I'm not sure he'd be getting the votes tbh. 

I don't see a great deal of difference between calling for him or Mellberg, I know Smith has more experience, but it still smacks of sentimentality, just in a different way. 

How so? I didn't vote but if I did vote for him it would have been because he's doing a good job at Brentford, having them playing attacking football. I forgot that he was a Villa fan and barely registered it when people were talking about it before. He has six years of experience as a manager. Mellberg is manager of a second division Swedish team and has been a manager for a year. I think they're pretty contrasting options. 

And Smith never actually played for us. Mellberg did—I think appointing Mellberg would be massively sentimental as he is someone I supported and someone who was great for the club. I have no sentiment towards Dean Smith. I just like what seems to be a young manager doing a good job with an attacking team.

Thoroughly uninspiring list. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being Terry. 

I'd love to see Smith get it and do well but I don't think he's ready for it yet. I think it's very easy for the causal observer to see little old Brentford punching above their weight and presume it's largely down to Smith. Most Brentford fans don't see it that way though and are often very critical of him.