• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

Karanka played the most tedious, slow, dull and uninspiring football going when Boro get promoted, and Gibson through the kitchen sink at it to get them back to the PL, and there was talk of fallouts and arguments all the time. Do not touch with a bargpole.

• Like 3

I want Bruce out but I'd rather keep him for now and wait until the right man is available than take any of the options in the poll. With the players we have, we need someone who will get us playing thoughtful, passing, attacking football.

Personally I'd much rather we did take a bit of a gamble on a young manager with energy, intelligence and ideas than hired another "safe pair of hands". That's not to say I entirely trust the people who would decide on such a gamble, but we can't get much worse and I don't want another dinosaur.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Karanka played the most tedious, slow, dull and uninspiring football going when Boro get promoted, and Gibson through the kitchen sink at it to get them back to the PL, and there was talk of fallouts and arguments all the time. Do not touch with a bargpole.

Yep, he's a right sulk too by the looks of him. No thanks. 

1 hour ago, Troglodyte said:

I want Bruce out but I'd rather keep him for now and wait until the right man is available than take any of the options in the poll. With the players we have, we need someone who will get us playing thoughtful, passing, attacking football.

Personally I'd much rather we did take a bit of a gamble on a young manager with energy, intelligence and ideas than hired another "safe pair of hands". That's not to say I entirely trust the people who would decide on such a gamble, but we can't get much worse and I don't want another dinosaur.

And what if as you suguest we stick with Bruce,  the right man doesn't become available and we continue to lose games ?

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

And what if as you suguest we stick with Bruce,  the right man doesn't become available and we continue to lose games ?

At least we can get rid of Bruce easily as he's on a rolling contract. We also don't have to give him any more money. A new manager would probably expect some funds and it wouldn't be worth also paying out for their new contract as well as a coaching team if they weren't that convincing.

Besides, as crap a job as he's doing, I'm not sure most names on that list would do any better, or even give a short term boost.

Edit: and I don't propose waiting indefinitely. I did say in my original post that I want us to look for a young, progressive manager. I just would rather see us take a little time to find the right one.

Edited by Troglodyte

On 14/08/2017 at 14:32, hippo said:

I have a feeling it will be pardew if Bruce goes in the new week or so.....

I also think having JT in the squad is a bit of problem if we good for an up and coming manager. Imagine Dean Smith trying to stamp his authority on the dressing room ........"Show us your medals Dean.....what none ? - but youre deciding the tactics...ok..... count me out"  

Not quite that blunt - but I know that sort of thing goes on - It happened to Graham Turner

Not soon enough! 

On 13/08/2017 at 09:36, villan_007 said:

Julian Nagelsmann

Germany's Manager of 2017 what's not to like? It depends when our vacancy arises and it may be that we would need to be in the PL to tempt him and to make our offer to him before the likes of Bayern do but he like Jokanovic or even Sean Dyche might be tempted if the timing was right unlikely as that may now seem. 

On 8/14/2017 at 13:32, hippo said:

I have a feeling it will be pardew if Bruce goes in the new week or so.....

I also think having JT in the squad is a bit of problem if we good for an up and coming manager. Imagine Dean Smith trying to stamp his authority on the dressing room ........"Show us your medals Dean.....what none ? - but youre deciding the tactics...ok..... count me out"  

Not quite that blunt - but I know that sort of thing goes on - It happened to Graham Turner. 

Hence why Rafa Benithez would be the most suitable candidate imo

11 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

MON at the match last night.  Probably to watch Hogan but you never know 

I don't think Hogan has taken MON up on his offer to consider him for Ireland as yet (I might be wrong and I was :blush:) so MON had him along with Whelan and Hourihane to look at. 

Edited by John

The thought of having O'Neill back makes me shudder.

I'd really like to see us go with some progressive, out out of left field manager. May as well since Bruce was as proven as it gets at this level and look at how that turned out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

The thought of having O'Neill back makes me shudder.

I'd really like to see us go with some progressive, out out of left field manager. May as well since Bruce was as proven as it gets at this level and look at how that turned out.

Interested to know why O'Neill makes you shudder? The best football we have played in the last 15 years or so was under O'Neill. Many happy memories of watching O'Neill's Villa.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Interested to know why O'Neill makes you shudder? The best football we have played in the last 15 years or so was under O'Neill. Many happy memories of watching O'Neill's Villa.

Were drinking during that time?

Set piece merchants. We were a polished version of his Leicester team.

Hammering blues 5-1, fa cup semi final, league cup final, gabby and carew scoring for fun, petrov controlling games from midfield (remember his debut or his goal from the half way line?), the excitement every time ashley young ran at defenders (Everton away??), mellberg and laursen centre half, being a consistent top 6 team and the chase for the champions league each year.

No, you're right, I must have been drinking. Give me McLeish and Grant Holt every day of the week.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, villakram said:

Were drinking during that time?

Set piece merchants. We were a polished version of his Leicester team.

We were known for good, counter attacking football at that time to be fair. 

We were quite highly rated for it.

AND no, I wouldn't want Oneill back, but it's probably the last time we had any sort of identity.