Glenn Whelan

Jareth

4 hours ago, NIVillan said:

DES BREMNER!!!

Yes, and what a bloody idiot, I made of myself appraising him in my youth.

I told him to his face recently (in the corporate) and he just laughed.....Yeah, I learn't my lesson about midfielders.

Brilliant player in his role.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Played well for the most part, got caught out of position a couple of times and made a couple of huge lunges to try and recover (was lucky not to get a yellow and give away a dangerous free-kick on one of them)

There was one point in the game that made me smile when he somehow ended up right on the edge of the Hull box and the camera just seemed to focus on him as his eyes lit up thinking "i'm in here give me the ball" before instantly thinking better of it, letting out a bit of a sigh and turning round to trot back to his own half.

33 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Not that it really matters but how are you meant to know which half is the defensive and offensive?

By looking at the two penalty areas - the one he didn't touch it in will be the attacking one :)

It's nice to see our opinion of what sort of game he had shown in those stat thingummies they have these days.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Not that it really matters but how are you meant to know which half is the defensive and offensive?

I would say by deduction, most of us would get it right.

Although, it could be first half, second half.

Edited by TRO

I think the modern day DM needs to do more than just block and tackle though

You see modern DMs at other clubs with pace whilst they are comfortable to carry it onto the opposition half and release the wingers, or even just turn into a bit of space. This is where Whelan is limited. Against teams like Hull I guess its not needed, but Whelan is very limited DM

Whats annoys me about Whelan is when he heads the ball, he never tries to cushion it to a team mate, I noticed it last season - Jed always picks out a man near by or chest controls it but Whelan just heads it as far as he can when under no pressure whatsoever

Fair play to him though, he had a decent game the other night

• Like 1

On 08/08/2018 at 17:50, bannedfromHandV said:

Doesn't really matter. Only seen a touch map like this when it's Kante's. ?

On 08/08/2018 at 23:28, Junxs said:

You see modern DMs at other clubs with pace whilst they are comfortable to carry it onto the opposition half and release the wingers, or even just turn into a bit of space. This is where Whelan is limited. Against teams like Hull I guess its not needed, but Whelan is very limited DM

Whats annoys me about Whelan is when he heads the ball, he never tries to cushion it to a team mate, I noticed it last season - Jed always picks out a man near by or chest controls it but Whelan just heads it as far as he can when under no pressure whatsoever

Fair play to him though, he had a decent game the other night

Completely agree with this, although the system doesn't always help. I'm sure with a more dynamic midfield ahead of him he's capable. We would do well with more support around the first ball at the moment.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2018 at 23:28, Junxs said:

Killing our midfield...slows everything down...beaten for pace all the time...offers nothing going forward.

Last night he just watched his pass never followed it and spent it pointing and players to get across because he can't.

In the first half he did a pass to Tuanzebe and just stood there...tuanzebe gave it back taking out the attacker and Whelan looked surprised...in the end he ran on to it and we were away...

Whelan should be brought on late on when we are protecting a lead and under pressure.

Grealish came on...though I know he's not grealish but when he made a pass he followed it or looked for a return..our play for better in the second half...why....movement.

There's plenty of DM out there who younger fitter and offer more than a block tackle now and then 

• Like 4

Â