Ahmed Elmohamady

Phumfeinz

Just checked stats and he did 14 out of 16 accurate long balls. That's mental. 

Then I check Burton game and again Elmo 14 of 16 Acc LBs

Mings in Burton 10 of 19 for context

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

He has that Hutton level of fitness where it seems like he gets better with age. He has more technical ability than Hutton which I imagine will give him a few more years. Some of his passing into midfield was great. Set us on the counter a few times. 

• Like 1

He's only just turned 33 so definitely a few more years in the tank yet. Great to see him look like he's been playing CB his whole career. I would put him above Hause, much calmer on the ball and positionally great. 

Always handy to have a player like Elmo in a squad. He can cover a number of positions and is a really good character/pro with no shortage of ability and will always put a shift in. 

Hopefully due to the performances/form of others we won't see him start too many league games but I'll have no worries when he is called upon as he pretty much guarantees a 6 or 7 out of 10 performance.

Good to see him made captain tonight as well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

He's only just turned 33 so definitely a few more years in the tank yet. Great to see him look like he's been playing CB his whole career. I would put him above Hause, much calmer on the ball and positionally great. 

Hause is left foot cover for Mings. Like so many coaches Smith wants Left foot LCB and right foot RCB for out ball. Nice to see Elmo reasonable cover for Konsa

I get the experiment tonight, it confirms we do have another cb to call upon in an emergency, but hope it doesn't dissuade the bosses from signing a cb. Elmo isn't a viable option for the league if we lose Konsa to injury. Still need to sign a backup cb that is better than Hause if we dont trust Engels.

Elmo did have a great game under relatively little pressure, and has cracking distribution.  I wouldn't be against him playing the odd game there against weaker threats, but as above, a proper CB signing please Dean!

Gotta love King Elmo man. Ever since the 3-2 loss at home to Leeds where he had a bit of a stinker I struggle to think of a subpar performance for him. Always dependable and is happy to play in a number of positions when needed, sort of character any club could do with.

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Mings long range passing is atrocious tbf. Neil Tayloresque percentage balls onto a defenders barnet more often than not

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I know what you're saying and they are excellent stats. However, what is the point of your Mings 'context'? One is a wide midfielder now playing at the back the other is a centre-half who has occasionally filled in at left-back. That's like saying Watkins has scored 2 in 3, Mings however has 0 for context.

The other thing is that Elmo is only ever going to be in and out of the squad. but what an in-and-out upgrade he is on Hutton, who in years to come will only be remembered for one goal and his 'legendary' status because of it will be diminshed the more we see competent right-backs and the 'cover' players.

15 minutes ago, peterw said:

I know what you're saying and they are excellent stats. However, what is the point of your Mings 'context'? One is a wide midfielder now playing at the back the other is a centre-half who has occasionally filled in at left-back. That's like saying Watkins has scored 2 in 3, Mings however has 0 for context.

Who is the wide midfielder. Elmo played RB and CB the 2 games mentioned and has almost played exclusively for us at RB. Not understanding the counterpoint you're trying to make

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Who is the wide midfielder. Elmo played RB and CB the 2 games mentioned and has almost played exclusively for us at RB. Not understanding the counterpoint you're trying to make

He is a wide midfielder so his passing range is naturally better as you would expect for a midfielder. he was only moved back when at hull - and largely unsuccessfully as Hull fans thought he was a useless wing-back. His passing range  (albeit against a league One team, and a Championship reserve team) has been excellent as highlighted but I would be more appalled if his passing wasn't better than an out and out defender.

Â