Ahmed Elmohamady

Phumfeinz

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He was a title winning centre half who just won West Brom player of the season. People saw it as a solid uninspiring signing at the time

Ok, so Jedi, Whelan and Elmo will without doubt do a Lescott? 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Yes I did say that :rolleyes:

Nope, you said that every mature player upon us signing them that we heralded them as heroes, and that our initial feelings were unfounded. Not true, Whelan and Elmo are not going to end up like Lescott. I understand that us villa fans have been severely affected by what has happened the last six years, and the pessimism has got to most villains, but to come out and say whelan and elmo will end up like lescott is just suicidal, lighten up.

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Nope, you said that every mature player upon us signing them that we heralded them as heroes, and that our initial feelings were unfounded. Not true, Whelan and Elmo are not going to end up like Lescott. I understand that us villa fans have been severely affected by what has happened the last six years, and the pessimism has got to most villains, but to come out and say whelan and elmo will end up like lescott is just suicidal, lighten up.

again I didnt say that either :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

again I didnt say that either :rolleyes:

Me - We've been completely blind to players of Elmo (and Whelan's) value to a team

You - am sure that  we said the same about Elphick, Jedinak, Lescott and probably a few other experienced heads when we signed them

i.e. - on the point of them starting for us - we simply assume that all players of their experience will do us good, but they are all sh*te.  

Yer did say that. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He was a title winning centre half who just won West Brom player of the season. People saw it as a solid uninspiring signing at the time

And a supposed Villa fan, I was so happy when we signed him. Shame he didn't take the move seriously.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

I am sure that  we said the same about Elphick, Jedinak, Lescott and probably a few other experienced heads when we signed them

That doesn't negate his point. Lescott was a different case, he came with a much higher pedigree thus more fanfare. Quite clearly an outlier.

His opinion is valid. It's not just Elmo, or Whelan, but also Jedinak (I've not idea why you chucked him in with those two), Taylor, Terry to a degree and even Chester. Proper professional footballers who happen to have uninspiring names. Historically they tend to go on to be the bedrock of the teams they sign for but we as Villa fans have always tended to covet the Carlos Gil's and the Jordan fecking Veretout's instead. It drives me insane to be honest.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

I like the look of him. My one small criticism would be that he looks to get a cross in the box too early or too often at times. He seems to have good delivery so I'd prefer to see him be a bit smarter when to deliver the ball. 

For the money he seems a steal so far though. Good addition to the squad. 

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Was there not talk of him going off injured on Saturday - not sure as the stream died during this period?

He did go off because of injury - Bree replaced him. I'd like to know more about his injury please, anyone?

14 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That doesn't negate his point. Lescott was a different case, he came with a much higher pedigree thus more fanfare. Quite clearly an outlier.

His opinion is valid. It's not just Elmo, or Whelan, but also Jedinak (I've not idea why you chucked him in with those two), Taylor, Terry to a degree and even Chester. Proper professional footballers who happen to have uninspiring names. Historically they tend to go on to be the bedrock of the teams they sign for but we as Villa fans have always tended to covet the Carlos Gil's and the Jordan fecking Veretout's instead. It drives me insane to be honest.

The joys of the unknown. With the exception of Terry (not sure why he's listed, different kettle of fish) the other players are all on downward trajectories in their careers and are, thus, not exciting propositions. 

In the case of Jordan Veretout, he was a fairly highly regarded French youth player on the up. Exciting signing.

I didn't see the same fuss over Bjarnason.  Similarly, people were generally looking forward to seeing Lansbury and Hourihane. It has nothing to do with the "fancy foreign name" bollocks that people bang on about. 

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

The joys of the unknown. With the exception of Terry (not sure why he's listed, different kettle of fish) the other players are all on downward trajectories in their careers and are, thus, not exciting propositions. 

In the case of Jordan Veretout, he was a fairly highly regarded French youth player on the up. Exciting signing.

I didn't see the same fuss over Bjarnason.  Similarly, people were generally looking forward to seeing Lansbury and Hourihane. It has nothing to do with the "fancy foreign name" bollocks that people bang on about. 

You say they're on downward trajectories, that's a subjective statement. Glenn Whelan played 30 games in the Premier League last season, similar for Jedinak before he joined. Same for Elmo. Chester is hardly on a downward trajectory either. Taylor? 

I think the standard of players at the top end of the Championship is rising. It is arguably the new top flight of 'English' football. That's why it is getting harder to get out of for clubs who drop, the standard at the bottom end might be proper shit but it's close enough that a good coach can expose weaknesses in any team. 

Maybe you're different, maybe fancy names don't impress you. However it was more of a general point than one aimed at you as an individual. 

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You say they're on downward trajectories, that's a subjective statement. Glenn Whelan played 30 games in the Premier League last season, similar for Jedinak before he joined. Same for Elmo. Chester is hardly on a downward trajectory either. Taylor? 

I think the standard of players at the top end of the Championship is rising. It is arguably the new top flight of 'English' football. That's why it is getting harder to get out of for clubs who drop, the standard at the bottom end might be proper shit but it's close enough that a good coach can expose weaknesses in any team. 

Maybe you're different, maybe fancy names don't impress you. However it was more of a general point than one aimed at you as an individual. 

I think that's the point r.e: "fancy names" for most.  Maybe some people are particularly drawn in by foreign names.  Perhaps?  I don't get that, though.

I don't think the downward trajectory is subjective either.  That doesn't mean the players aren't good enough, just that their careers are at the wrong end and they're moving from Premier League to Championship.  It's not an "upward" move.  Therefore, it's quite easy to feel underwhelmed.  Glenn Whelan is 33.  Mile Jedinak joined less than a month before he turned 32.  Ahmed Elmohamady is almost 30.  James Chester is the outlier as he joined at 27 - the underwhelm here being that he wasn't a first team player.  I think if you ask many fans about these signings, they'll say Chester has been good, Jedinak has been solid and Whelan and Elmohamady look good in pre-season.

Even then, and linking with Zatman's post, we did think that Lescott and Elphick would be solid signings and just what we needed.  It's not always downplayed, a lot of fans recognise the need for experience at the same time as youth.

Completely agree that the Championship quality is rising overall.  We're making a push for promotion using experience.  That's absolutely fine... even if non-exciting at times too.

• Like 1

@bobzy we're not a million miles away really. Except to say I wasn't underwhelmed by Whelan, in fact he's probably the best signing since Kodjia. I was looking for reasons why I feel that way and others are underwhelmed and how that might also apply to Elmo.

Who is 29 by the way. 

I wasn't excited at the thought of Elmohamady because he has been very poor for Hull for the last two seasons, it was thought that he was going to be played as a wing back and initial reports suggested it would be a £3m price.

I agree that at £1m it is decent business for such an experienced player, and if he regains the form of a few years ago then great, but he hasn't been that player over the last two years. 

Hopefully he just went stale at Hull and a new challenge will do him good.

On 7/30/2017 at 20:59, Zatman said:

I am sure that  we said the same about Elphick, Jedinak, Lescott and probably a few other experienced heads when we signed them

Why are you lumping Jedinak in with Elphick and Lescott?

Jedinak was one of our best players last season, and key to a lot of the games we won.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Why are you lumping Jedinak in with Elphick and Lescott?

Jedinak was one of our best players last season, and key to a lot of the games we won.

looking back maybe I was being a tad harsh

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I was drunk at the time and probably should watch it again but where was he for there goal? Shouldn't he have been covering Hutton who had gone in to the centre?

I thought this also 

• Like 1

Â