Ahmed Elmohamady

Phumfeinz

5 hours ago, skarroki said:

For me, the worst thing about this transfer is people calling him a right back and declaring we're going to a 5-3-2 formation based on one signing. Think he'll provide good competition for Adomah on the right wing and Bjarnason will compete with Green on the left. Looking forward to seeing him play for us a few times and making my own mind up on how good he is. 

I thought we had moved on from this :) according to whoscored.com he played RB 17 times, RWB 8 times and RW 3 times last season, so you may well call him a right back. You may also call him a right wing back or a right midfielder, because he can obviously play in all these positions.

Welcome to the club Elmo! I hope you and Bree compete for the RB/RWB position. For the RW position I prefer a proper winger. 

3 hours ago, VERB27 said:

Think people believe he is a shit crosser because when we've played Hull in the past we've had 'decent' (in the loosest sense of the word) full backs applying pressure.

Don't think he'll be under the same kind of pressure in our games this season, so should - with some luck - be a useful weapon. 

Luna and Cissokho ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That means if he flops there is one thing left to blame. 

Thr Villa curse!!!

No, apparently it would be because we don't have a decent ball winner .. after all, according to someone on here, thats why we create no chances

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Welcome Ahmed. Hope you're not reading this thread.

i hope none of them know about these forums!! Although going by their form/confidence... wouldnt suprise me if they did!

• Like 3

Solid player. Nothing to tingle the nether regions but not all good signings do. I reckon he'll shut a few up on here soon enough and if it's me, I'll hold my hands up. I doubt it though. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Junxs said:

No, apparently it would be because we don't have a decent ball winner .. after all, according to someone on here, thats why we create no chances

ha ha doesn't take long to get your comments misconstrued....get on the right thread and I will answer it.

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2017 at 00:48, Gillz said:

I think we are agreeing on a lot of things here, and i deffo concur with you that with the money we spent last year we should have gone back up (although i blame that more on the managerial choices rather then the player recruitment tbh). I actually think our player recruitment last year was pretty good at the time. most of this forum was delighted with the signings of RMac, RDL, Jedi, CH, Adomah, elphick etc at the time of purchase.

In contrast this signing is a relatively cheap, less risky pick. I dont think he's going to be the saviour of Aston Villa, but i've certainly seen a lot worse in the last few years....and with the reported price just £1m, who would you suggest signing instead?

I think it was the managerial choices mainly but also the players we signed. The only player I was happy we signed last season was Jedinak. Hourihane and Johnstone I thought were ok signings and Bree has some potential but overall I thought we could have done a lot better.

You can't argue with the fee for Elmohamady but we don't need him and he's not a player who's going to be the difference between what we saw last season and promotion.

I think we need a quality CM and 1 or 2 creative players at least if we are going to get promoted under Bruce.

Some players I would have liked us to try and get - Mark Milligan, Jeff Reine Adelaide (loan), Josh Sims (loan), Jota, Floyd Ayite, Ryan Kent, Tommy Oar, Max Gradel.

Edited by Michael118

6 hours ago, Michael118 said:

I think it was the managerial choices mainly but also the players we signed. The only player I was happy we signed last season was Jedinak. Hourihane and Johnstone I thought were ok signings and Bree has some potential but overall I thought we could have done a lot better.

You weren't happy with either Kodjia or Chester, by far our best players last season?

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You weren't happy with either Kodjia or Chester, by far our best players last season?

I thought Jedinak was our best player last season.

I can't say Kodjia wasn't crucial and without him we might have been in a lot of trouble but I also don't rate him as highly as others do. I wanted us to sign Dwight Gayle + a striker like Crouch for him to play off. In my opinion we would have functioned a lot better overall if we did.

Although I liked Chester in some ways I also thought lacked size and presence for a CB. I think we could have done better and if he was one of our better players last season I don't think it says much.

Â