John Terry

Farlz

After 30 years, I’m boycotting Aston Villa. Why? John Terry’s past racist language

Steve Bloomfield

I became an Aston Villa fan by chance. My dad, who grew up in north London, is an Arsenal fan, but because we lived in Birmingham he thought I should support a local team.

Villa had just been promoted to the first division, while Birmingham City still languished in the second, so he took me to Villa..

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/05/aston-villa-fan-boycott-john-terry-racist-past

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

I don't know who Steve Bloomfield is and I don't know why anyone would care to read that essay on what he thinks about Aston Villa Football Club.

From his twitter account it seems that Steve Bloomfield's foremost (if not only) interest is in politics. How often he has seen Villa in recent years (if at all) I do not know but to boycott (his) football club and to also it seems inflict that decision on his son in these circumstances seems a decision that may have been primarily taken to ingratiate himself with his readers.     

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barney_avfc said:

I think that in bad taste, and quite frankly disrespectful to Ben E King. 

Was not keen on the signing at all initially (mainly because of his age & the risk factor including finances, but I have always disliked him too) but I have slowly come around to it and become more accepting of it. More so due to the effect he can have on the club as a whole - raising the profile, attracting higher calibre transfer targets, bringing in some genuine leadership qualities, hopefully instil some respect and discipline into the players (which has been sorely missing for ages), inspirational/motivational qualities. There's no guarantee of how positive of an effect he can have and maybe it's just the initial and widespread enthusiasm that is influencing my/our thoughts (after all we are Villa, we're used to things going wrong and countless disappointments) but I hope this can be the start of a new era at the club and bring about an upturn in our fortunes. We should be going all out for promotion with confidence and determination - both from the players and us fans. If we can all generate a positive outlook/atmosphere/mentality then that can only hope. We must make a positive start to the season, picking up wins and producing convincing performances, otherwise any positivity will drain away - the players have to give encouragement and cause for optimism to us fans after all. We've got to go for it!

His song is interesting.. could be as simple as he just likes that song.. but i got a feeling he picked it to tell the squad.. stand by me.. and we will be carrying the Championship trophy together at the end of the season. Good pick. 

He seems to be enjoying the change of scenery a little bit.. as much as he loved it at Chelsea.. it would have been same old same old.. he has done it all.. Going to Villa may have given him that little spark again. Heres hoping. The lift that has provided the fan base.. the commercial aspect of it all.. the attention the club has got.. potential jersey sales.. its already a win. The only doubt it is can he perform on the pitch.. that is the crucial one and which will really define the signing as 'class'. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

Getting close to the end of page 63 and we haven't mentioned his age as much as we should have on pages 60-63.

Any idea how old he actually is?

Last I heard he's 113 years old. 

3 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

Getting close to the end of page 63 and we haven't mentioned his age as much as we should have on pages 60-63.

Coincidently your post mentioned his ages. JT claims he's only 60 but he's actually 63. Don't concern yourself over the discrepancy, my stepmother has done it for years.

7 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

Apparently he's two years older than Obafemi Martins..... So if you know what age he is then you can figure out how old Terry is.

• Like 1

Â