John Terry

Farlz

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

* Just to clarify - Not my arse

How about a tattoo on the other side to commemorate the signing 50 years ago of the late Oscar Arce? :D

3 hours ago, USA_Villa said:

John Terry Stats:

14/15 - 49 Games, averaging 90 mins 

15/16 - 33 Games, averaging 82 mins

16/17 - 15 Games, averaging 60 minutes

Anyone notice a trend?

The trend is that he will play minus 5 games for us this season.  I think I will just wait and see what happens!

Welcome JT - could turn out to be a great signing for us.

For attacking set pieces it will be good to have someone who can be a pain in the opposition's box (so to speak);)

Edited by Brumstopdogs

I don't know how anyone can feel negativity towards this signing. We all know he's not the player of old, but he's a leader and a winner. He will certainly do a job in the championship. Fans are too quick to judge and he's not even kicked a ball yet. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I don't know how anyone can feel negativity towards this signing. We all know he's not the player of old, but he's a leader and a winner. He will certainly do a job in the championship. Fans are too quick to judge and he's not even kicked a ball yet. 

Is the negativity towards the man or the footballer ? Personally I think that as a footballer it's a very good signing - probably our best central defender since Martin Laursen - as a person I'm much less keen - but who am I to judge and I don't suppose he cares too much for me either.

Just looking at it Teddy Sheringham was still playing at Spurs at 37 and West Ham at 41. Strikers need to be much more mobile than central defenders.  Ditto Kevin Phillips was 38 when he left The Scum. 

No reason a player can't play central defence at this age if the desire and fitness is there.  I said earlier he had moobs, but looking at his holiday photos unless photo shopped he actually has massive pecs. 

Someone said earlier he played so little last season it's like someone coming out of retirement. No way is it like that, he spent all of last season within the training regime of one of the world's top teams. 

I'm starting to get less worried the more I hear about players still playing well into their late 30s but we will just have to wait and see.  With our luck I fully expect him to do his cruciate ligaments on his debut. 

Edited by sidcow

When somebody's ready I'll await the list of defenders currently playing at a top level at the age of 36-37.

Another well intentioned but ultimately naive waste of money. 

We were already an aging slow sluggish team.

Dreading playing Brentford already.

3 minutes ago, NottingVilla said:

When somebody's ready I'll await the list of defenders currently playing at a top level at the age of 36-37.

It's probably why he's stepped down from the top level then.

FWIW Huddersfield went up last season with a 35 year old defender playing regularly.

Brighton went up with a 36 year old defender who was also their captain.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

FWIW Huddersfield went up last season with a 35 year old defender playing regularly.

No your wrong.  It is not possible for players of that age to play in the championship. The Usain Bolt clones which the championship are awash with will just dance around them and make them look silly. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:
13 minutes ago, NottingVilla said:

Also, Gareth McAuley was probably one of the best performing Centrebacks in the premier league (you know, the top level) last season and he's 37.

• Like 2

defenders age is never a problem. all about positioning and reading the game. He can probably do a job for us but as said its all about how many games we get out of him. Hopefully Bruce takes care of his game management

His personal life has been gone through a lot and I can understand people dislike towards him and he is not somebody I would go for a beer with

• Like 1

If we'd resigned Gareth Barry or Peter Crouch (as quite a few people on here were discussing) then would we be complaining that they are too old for the Championship?. They are the same age as JT and neither of them have ever relied on pace. What's the difference?

8 minutes ago, Jenko#4 said:

If we'd resigned Gareth Barry or Peter Crouch (as quite a few people on here were discussing) then would we be complaining that they are too old for the Championship?. They are the same age as JT and neither of them have ever relied on pace. What's the difference?

The only difference is they are not John Terry. Which is a bit silly really. I totally get somebody not being happy with the signing because of his age. But to say he is too old because you don't like the guy makes no sense. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just watched the interview. Comes across well.

Got a good feeling about this.

To be fair he always has come across well in post match interviews too. Been a captain for years and acts that way in the main. One or two high profile mishaps but generally he a great leader. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The only difference is they are not John Terry. Which is a bit silly really. I totally get somebody not being happy with the signing because of his age. But to say he is too old because you don't like the guy makes no sense. 

You don't follow politics do you?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NottingVilla said:

Another well intentioned but ultimately naive waste of money. 

We were already an aging slow sluggish team.

Dreading playing Brentford already.

Mcauley, Barzagli and Evra.

• Like 3

Â