John Terry

Farlz

Steve Bruce mentioned in the press conference how this is a big club with big expectations and he has no "no qualms" with JT as he has been there and done it.

That is it for me. I mentioned it last season, I think there are far too many players that do not have the bollocks to play for this club or in front of the Holte. You can see them shrink. It now appears that Bruce does too. Maybe that is why he rates Billy big bollocks Bacuna over Hourihane....but that is a different matter.

I have doubts that he has anything left in the tank but hold out hope I was wrong and he can stroll through this league with his vast experience and nous. If so I think he would be a huge lift to every player around him.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

It's alright having opinions on things but acting like an opinion is a fact just because it's your own thought is stupid. 

I'm excited by the transfer but the only way to judge really is by what happens during the season. I can understand worry to a degree but it doesn't make it fact that he's going struggle. 

The limited amount of games the past few years could have extended his career. They could have left him well off the pace but he backs himself and that's a good a sign as I need to have some enthusiasm for this move as it's clear he doesn't see this as a piece of piss. He could have gone to the US or China knowing he can't compete but he backs his own physical state. 

Edited by Wezbid
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

The limited amount of games the past few years could Jane extended his career. 

Freudian slip there from our Wez, who's Jane you dirty dog.

Or are Jane's "techniques", to Terry, some kind of career extending elixir? Like a red-light version of Hoddle's Eileen Drewery? Sounds legit, sign me up too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I also cannot wait for him to put that nobody Bacuna in his place the first time he throws a temper tantrum.

Also, bringing some dressing room authority to some of our ahem, occasionally wayward lads. Especially Jack. He will be like another manager on the pitch on the training ground in the dressing room. 

Sure he's made mistakes too, big ones. But one thing he never did was throw it all away. The word leader has been said many times, but how we have lacked that. 

In a way on a slight level, this is like Zlatan's season at United hopefully. He did it on the pitch for sure, and in the dressing room, that infectious winning aura that shines into others, and the fact they tear shreds off anyone who doesn't pull their weight. Winners like that don't stand for much BS off team mates as anything that way negative affects their wins so hopefully he will help align some personalities back to the cause of promotion and not just the carefree life of a well paid pro. 

Anyway all been said already by others and I'm happy with signing too. Really hope though that he brings about a more committed dressing room culture and if any individuals still go against the grain well between Bruce and him, we will more quickly weed out those who don't care this season as he won't even want them on the pitch with him. 

Going to be a different experience here but having captained the likes of gimps and egos like Drogba, Costa etc, he has a good CV for bossing those sorts and transfers slightly as a skill set for tackling our "passengers". Good. We need that. 

• Like 3

I have never been a fan of JT the person but he's a down and dirty **** on the pitch and that's an area we really have struggled with over the years - having a do whatever it takes attitude to get the job done. Nice guys finish last and all that stuff. I expect he'll pick up a red card or four this season as he presents an opportunity for some of these hack referees in the Championship to make a name for themselves.

I think this is a pretty shrewd business decision by the Doc as well. Obviously we didn't set the world alight last season and would not have made too many inroads into getting noticed in China. JT is a big name in world football, and this signing would be just enough to start raising the club's profile a little.

The players would be pretty pleased to have him on board  I reckon. But extremely nervous about introducing him to the missus. 

14 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Freudian slip there from our Wez, who's Jane you dirty dog.

Or are Jane's "techniques", to Terry, some kind of career extending elixir? Like a red-light version of Hoddle's Eileen Drewery? Sounds legit, sign me up too. 

I have absolutely no idea what or who you are talking about. 

Project Jane doesn't exist... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, USA_Villa said:

Villa's lack of foresight just amazes me. We have bet our chance of getting out of this division last year and now this year on PROVEN experience. I call it short sighted. We have an OLD manager who is a one trick pony relying on yesterdays tactics and no idea on how to change things when they go wrong. We have now over paid for an over the hill center half. The guy is 37 in a few months and we're expecting him to play every week in the championship? It's not going to happen, he couldn't play every week in the Premier League and we play more games. The old you get, the slower you get. Period.

The Villa board have put all their eggs in the Old Farts basket. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

And the sky is going to fall on our heads.....

For some reason i have done a full 360 and i am now pumped to see him play in the new season. 

You won me over JT.. His talk.. he looks ready.. hes fit..  i still have my doubts about how many games he can play.. but as some others have mentioned.. he wont be the first 35-36 year old playing at a high level. If anyone can do it its him. 

• Like 2

Going to march out if step for a rare visit into on topic. I don't welcome him, I thought he was a word removed before he was linked to Villa and those thoughts havent changed. 

I hope he isn't made captain. I'm not a fan of players being made captain before they have kicked a ball for their club, and I think Chester did a great job last season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wezbid said:

The limited amount of games the past few years could have extended his career. They could have left him well off the pace but he backs himself and that's a good a sign as I need to have some enthusiasm for this move as it's clear he doesn't see this as a piece of piss. He could have gone to the US or China knowing he can't compete but he backs his own physical state. 

On the topic of the US, F365 disagree:

'It is impossible not to focus on Terry’s age when discussing this move. He turns 37 in December; only three outfield players aged 37 or older played in the Championship last season. The youngest of those three is Wes Brown, who started three matches – all defeats – in Blackburn Rovers’ relegation campaign and is now without a club. There was no interest in Terry from the MLS because his wage demands were too high and he was too old.'

http://www.football365.com/news/john-terry-and-villa-buying-the-player-or-the-name

7 hours ago, andykeenan said:

Great singing will lead by example and help some of the younger players as well 

Hats off to everyone involved in his deal

Not a bad birthday present 

Certainly has the X factor nailed :)

1 hour ago, Ponky said:

I hope he isn't made captain. I'm not a fan of players being made captain before they have kicked a ball for their club, and I think Chester did a great job last season.

Chester admitted himself he finds it hard to criticise players and is more a leader by example - JT is far more vocal and I expect Chester would be fine with handing over the armband. 

48 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

On the topic of the US, F365 disagree:

'It is impossible not to focus on Terry’s age when discussing this move. He turns 37 in December; only three outfield players aged 37 or older played in the Championship last season. The youngest of those three is Wes Brown, who started three matches – all defeats – in Blackburn Rovers’ relegation campaign and is now without a club. There was no interest in Terry from the MLS because his wage demands were too high and he was too old.'

http://www.football365.com/news/john-terry-and-villa-buying-the-player-or-the-name

I'll take the word of the likes of BBC, ESPN, Telegraph, Daily Mail etc over Football365. 

Cheers.

Â