Manchester Arena Explosion

OutByEaster?

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Apparently there's a campaign to ban The Sun in Manchester due to their coverage (I'm not sure on specifics).

It's been pretty much dead in Liverpool since Hillsborough

Leicester stopped buying it when they were nasty to Gary Lineker.

The country is slowly waking up to this shit

• Like 2

i wish we didn't need horrendous outrages in order to facilitate a boycott / collective ignoring of such tripe. 

I wonder if there is anything the Daily Mail could write that could get it's loyal readers to go "ooh, that's too far!"

Just now, Rodders said:

i wish we didn't need horrendous outrages in order to facilitate a boycott / collective ignoring of such tripe. 

I wonder if there is anything the Daily Mail could write that could get it's loyal readers to go "ooh, that's too far!"

I'd rather hope they'd just fill the paper with adverts for a certain Swiss clinic

• Like 2

Just now, Rodders said:

I don't understand how the Daily Mail is at all profitable.

There are a lot of **** morons in this country.

• Like 1

You could more validly blame the Tories for underfunding the police for letting this slip through. But you don't use these events for political gain. It's off the menu and definitely isn't cricket. For the S*n to do that so brazenly yesterday is utterly disgusting

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Their demographic is highly loaded at the old end of the spectrum

And yes, there's plenty of them in this country. The Brexit referendum showed that, plenty of people voting against their own interests but not realising it

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

What did the Sun do exactly? What is it this time that was a bridge too far?

Ran a cover story about Corbyn being a terrorist sympathiser - essentially.

Edit:  Link here to read about it - https://www.thecanary.co/2017/05/24/manchester-set-become-second-city-ban-sun-appalling-response-concert-bombing-tweets/

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's read by every older person who think they're above the Sun but secretly think exactly the same way, and it's website(s) are enormously popular globally. It pushes the same conservative right on agenda that this country laps up, but hides it with a veneer of respectability that blinds people to how hideous most of the stuff in it is. It's the kind of paper that will rabble rouse about rapists, but will be filled with leering photos of women.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's actually very easy to understand. In terms of print, it is by far has the biggest online presence in the UK, in fact it's probably the biggest online newspaper in the world. In advertising terms it's reach is massive and thus so are it's served impressions, also click throughs are massive in absolute terms. So in other words it gets a shed load of advertising revenue.

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

If he was blowing up innocent people in the name of Christianity, yes he'd be a Christian terrorist.

Even though it goes against all christian values?

6 minutes ago, Risso said:

If he was blowing up innocent people in the name of Christianity, yes he'd be a Christian terrorist.  The fact is though, there aren't many of those doing the rounds in the UK at the moment, just like we haven't got Hindu terrorists or Sikh terrorists driving cars into people or carrying a nail bomb into a concert hall full of kids.  He's one of a very small minority of insanely radicalised followers of the Islamic faith, killing people in its name.  So yes, of course he's a  Muslim terrorist.  Just like the bloke who drove into innocent people outside Parliament was, just like the murderers of Lee Rigby were, like the gunmen at the Bataclan were, etc etc etc.  

There's a huge problem with a very small number of Muslims, but it very evidently is a problem, and pretending it's nothing to do with religion isn't going to help find a solution.

The playing down of this aspect by some is total head in the sand stuff. I tend to side with Sam Harris on this. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

Even though it goes against all christian values?

Just about ALL religion is open to interpretation, and made up by people as they go along, which is why we have different religions and different sects within religions.  And that is largely why we are in this mess in the first place.  If you are so minded, you can attempt to justify anything you like via a religious text.

• Like 2

Â