Other Transfers and Rumours Summer 2017

Villaphan04

its disgusting at the moment, the Mbappe thing really annoys me. He is 18 years old and will have so much pressure and hype on him that if he fails it could do damage to him mentally. Can say it about other young players as well but cant remember anybody of his age being world record transfer holder before. maybe Freddy Adu was as equally hyped

I'm sure the 10 million+ he'll get as a basic wage will help ease some of the pressure.

With the way things are going i can see more & more players retiring in their early/mid 20's. Once you have won everything at madrid, played in 2/3 world cups & euros and have 50 million in the bank by the time you're 25 what's the point of carrying on

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's gotten farcical hasn't it?

I know the whole 'football's going to implode, the bubble will burst' rhetoric has done the rounds for years but it's truly reaching epic proportions now.

It has to reach some form of tipping point, my hope is that the TV money gets pulled out from under it, the likes of City, Chelsea and United would practically be declared bankrupt overnight.

The really annoying thing is that if it wasn't for the European competition commission ruling that BSkyB couldn't be the only one to broadcast live premier league games we would probably have never got to this point and sky packages would be much cheaper. Multiple companies trying to outbid each other has just driven up prices to insane amounts and this is then passed on to the customer by way of both higher subscription costs & requiring multiple subscriptions.

At the time the commission were trying to force the premier league to sell the rights to at least 2 different broadcasters Richard Scudamore said that this would "damage the game at all levels", Turns out he was right and the commissions insistance that consumers should have more choice has just meant spiraling costs for everyone, More shite from people in Brussels interfering where it isn't needed.

BSkyB were paying just over 1 billion for exclusive tv rights for the period of 2003-2007, Around 250 million per year. 10 years later and Sky/BT are paying over 1.7 billion per year. There is no way it would be anything even close to a billion per year if 1 company had exclusivity

Edited by LakotaDakota

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

its disgusting at the moment, the Mbappe thing really annoys me. He is 18 years old and will have so much pressure and hype on him that if he fails it could do damage to him mentally. Can say it about other young players as well but cant remember anybody of his age being world record transfer holder before. maybe Freddy Adu was as equally hyped

Well he could always just say 'I've got a contract here, I'm going to honour it i don't want to move'. Problem solved.

He isn't a victim in this.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

West Ham getting £7m for a kid they got from Man Utd last summer for free, he played two games. Nice business that.

Yeah saw that. How many strikers have Boro got now, it must be at least six?

You'd have thought they'd have been reasonably happy with Gestede and Bamford at this level.

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

The really annoying thing is that if it wasn't for the European competition commission ruling that BSkyB couldn't be the only one to broadcast live premier league games we would probably have never got to this point and sky packages would be much cheaper. Multiple companies trying to outbid each other has just driven up prices to insane amounts and this is then passed on to the customer by way of both higher subscription costs & requiring multiple subscriptions.

At the time the commission were trying to force the premier league to sell the rights to at least 2 different broadcasters Richard Scudamore said that this would "damage the game at all levels", Turns out he was right and the commissions insistance that consumers should have more choice has just meant spiraling costs for everyone, More shite from people in Brussels interfering where it isn't needed.

BSkyB were paying just over 1 billion for exclusive tv rights for the period of 2003-2007, Around 250 million per year. 10 years later and Sky/BT are paying over 1.7 billion per year. There is no way it would be anything even close to a billion per year if 1 company had exclusivity

Absolutely, and you could have seen it coming too, they sold it as being better for the consumer when it's anything but!

I'm relatively confident it will stop though, I don't know where BT think they've got all this money from, there's no way they're making the revenue to balance out in additional customers surely

Edited by bannedfromHandV

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Absolutely, and you could have seen it coming too, they sold it as being better for the consumer when it's anything but!

I'm relatively confident it will stop though, I don't know where BT think they've got all this money from, there's no way they're making the revenue to balance out in additional customers surely

Well BT sport was free if you had internet with them until this summer. But as of next month i believe its 3 quid a month for current customers. 

So they will pull a bit in there, but as you say surely this is not enough to enable them to spend money like this on the rights. Mind you sponsorship deals must make some of this up for adverts etc? 

Surely they have a proper plan.... although this is BT were talking about afterall.

14 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

I'm sure the 10 million+ he'll get as a basic wage will help ease some of the pressure.

With the way things are going i can see more & more players retiring in their early/mid 20's. Once you have won everything at madrid, played in 2/3 world cups & euros and have 50 million in the bank by the time you're 25 what's the point of carrying on

I disagree with both points here (sorry!)

Assuming you weren't being tongue in cheek regarding the size of his wages, I think the wage can only add to pressure and at best doesn't affect it.  But at his age it might take the edge off his game (see countless other teenagers who never reached potential after big contracts).

As for retiring mid 20s while on an easy meal ticket.  It's starting to happen in the NFL because you're nearly guaranteed brain damage to some degree over there, but when you can simply prance around a football pitch into your mid 30s picking up £5m a year these footballers are not motivated to walk away from that no-brainer, and wages are only going up plus medical advancements are prolonging careers.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BOF said:

I disagree with both points here (sorry!)

Assuming you weren't being tongue in cheek regarding the size of his wages, I think the wage can only add to pressure and at best doesn't affect it.  But at his age it might take the edge off his game (see countless other teenagers who never reached potential after big contracts).

As for retiring mid 20s while on an easy meal ticket.  It's starting to happen in the NFL because you're nearly guaranteed brain damage to some degree over there, but when you can simply prance around a football pitch into your mid 30s picking up £5m a year these footballers are not motivated to walk away from that no-brainer, and wages are only going up plus medical advancements are prolonging careers.

Not to mention the amount of contact in football is eeducing which will also have an effect on the levels of injury, as Will player rotation.

• Like 2

Neymar to PSG

Looks like Neymar could be on his way to Paris in the near future then.

Neymar has been given permission to leave Barcelona as he looks set to join Paris St-Germain in a 222m euro (£198m) deal.

The Brazilian, 25, told his team-mates at training on Wednesday that he wanted to leave the Spanish giants.

He was then given permission by manager Ernesto Valverde not to train and to "sort out his future".

16 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Spending basically half of their revenue for 15/16 ((e)520) on one player, ridiculous. 

But aggressively taking a player off one of the 2 Spanish dicks against their will?

3671709.jpg

• Like 1

This is embarrassing for everyone concerned.

You have Neymar going to a retirement league at 25.

You have PSG spunking an absurd amount of money on a single player, who may or may not take them to the next level.

You have Barcelona getting bullied like a minnow.