Other Transfers and Rumours Summer 2017

Villaphan04

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm amazed anyone would describe the situation as "beautiful".  In a modern footballing world that is already corrupt as ****, we're basically seeing more corruption - once again benefiting the most wealthy.  "Yay".

Nah it's not gonna work.  You won't suck the joy out of this one for me :)  We're watching the very thing we moan about 'being broken' effectively breaking itself.  There'll be consequences from this no matter what they are.  The method of payment makes a mockery of FFP which itself only keeps the status quo.  And one of the biggest offenders beneficiaries is getting arse ridden by their own petard.

'Yay' in-f**king-deed :D 

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Nah it's not gonna work.  You won't suck the joy out of this one for me :)  We're watching the very thing we moan about 'being broken' effectively breaking itself.  There'll be consequences from this no matter what they are.  The method of payment makes a mockery of FFP which itself only keeps the status quo.  And one of the biggest offenders beneficiaries is getting arse ridden by their own petard.

Out of interest, who is "one of the biggest beneficiaries"?  La Liga, presumably?

I just don't understand how the club can put a ridiculous buy-out clause in the contract, but when it's met the league can reject it.

Whether it's against FFP rules or not, surely that's PSG's problem to solve. Subsequently, PSG will have to deal with the punishments. 

Edited by PieFacE

Just now, PieFacE said:

I just don't understand how the club can put a ridiculous buy-out clause in the contract, but when it's met the league can reject it.

Whether it's against FFP rules or not, surely that's PSG's problem to solve.

Two things here.

Firstly, you're right that if the money was coming from PSG then it is their choice to breach FFP, take the sanction and La Liga/Barça can do nothing about it.
But it isn't coming from PSG, it's coming from a 3rd party sponsorship/ambassadorial deal between Qatar and Neymar, so it isn't even breaching FFP for PSG.  So La Liga/Barça can well and truly go and **** themselves :D 

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

image.png.53f91a1087abb9be86a1078c71bf50c0.png

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

Two things here.

Firstly, you're right that if the money was coming from PSG then it is their choice to breach FFP, take the sanction and La Liga/Barça can do nothing about it.
But it isn't coming from PSG, it's coming from a 3rd party sponsorship/ambassadorial deal between Qatar and Neymar, so it isn't even breaching FFP for PSG.  So La Liga/Barça can well and truly go and **** themselves :D 

Ha, well that just makes the whole situation even more laughable! :D 

On 7/24/2017 at 12:22, Genie said:

I remember as a kid at school the ref told our manager to sub a player who was putting in a series of 'heavy' challenges.

Not sure it happens in the professional game in this day and age. The referees I expect are still being rated on their performance, friendly or not. People have paid good money for tickets. It's not ridiculous to apply the rules as far as I can see (slightly harsh you might say).

Old post, apologies, but I definitely remember Eric Cantona playing in a friendly in the 90's for United, possibly vs Rangers, and he put in a Red Card challenge. The ref demanded he was subbed but kept the cards in his pocket.

I totally agree that red cards shouldn't be used in a friendly unless something mental happens.

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Ha, well that just makes the whole situation even more laughable! :D 

And that's the loophole.

[Club A]'s sponsor (or a vested party) wants to "sponsor" in some way or another [Player B] who plays for [Club B] for an amount just above his buyout fee.  [Club A] are not involved in this "totally separate wink wink roflcopter" venture and as such remain unaffected for FFP purposes.

Voila, you've just rendered FFP completely ineffective overnight.  Thank you PSG.

On 8/2/2017 at 12:36, Demitri_C said:

Anyone else think Neymar is really overrated? No chance he is worth that. Barca should go for Griezmann as replacement 

No. He's a brilliant, brilliant player.

Not worth £200m of course, but still. He's not overrated.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

And that's the loophole.

[Club A]'s sponsor (or a vested party) wants to "sponsor" in some way or another [Player B] who plays for [Club B] for an amount just above his buyout fee.  [Club A] are not involved in this "totally separate wink wink roflcopter" venture and as such remain unaffected for FFP purposes.

Voila, you've just rendered FFP completely ineffective overnight.  Thank you PSG.

I totally expect this loophole to get closed, question is will it happen before or after this transfer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

And that's the loophole.

So effectively the Dr could do the same thing via Recon to buy anyone in Spanish football without it counting towards Villa?  Makes you think why this is isn't standard practice.

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I totally expect this loophole to get closed, question is will it happen before or after this transfer. 

How do you close it though?

Do you say a player can't have a sponsorship deal with a company who have interests in ANY football club?  You can't do that.  And 'at the point of the sponsorship deal' you may not know if a club has an interest in the player, so it won't be suspicious at that point.  You can't restrict trade without good reason and players are making bonkers sums already.

Wanting it closed, and closing it, are 2 very different things.  Personally, I want it to wreck FFP.  If it chews up and spits out Barcelona in the process then that's just **** dandy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

So effectively the Dr could do the same thing via Recon to buy anyone in Spanish football without it counting towards Villa?  Makes you think why this is isn't standard practice.

In theory yes.  Recon want a poster child for [insert bullshit here].  Here's $buyoutclause+4m.  Kthxbye.

It's just that it's extremely rare for a player to be worth more than his buyout clause.  They tend to be a value so silly it doesn't get paid.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

How do you close it though?

Do you say a player can't have a sponsorship deal with a company who have interests in ANY football club?  You can't do that.  And 'at the point of the sponsorship deal' you may not know if a club has an interest in the player, so it won't be suspicious at that point.  You can't restrict trade without good reason and players are making bonkers sums already.

Wanting it closed, and closing it, are 2 very different things.  Personally, I want it to wreck FFP.  If it chews up and spits out Barcelona in the process then that's just **** dandy.

Maybe something like... a player can't be sponsored within the value of 50% his buy-out clause? (or something?)

Though I guess it's a little unfair if you have a tiny buy out clause.

Maybe a tiered system? 

Edited by PieFacE

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Maybe something like... a player can't be sponsored within the value of 50% his buy-out clause? (or something?)

Though I guess it's a little unfair if you have a tiny buy out clause.

Maybe a tiered system? 

Or maybe scrap FFP.  Why bother trying to come up with financial gymnastics to try and protect something which at its core is fundamentally anti-competition.  Just ditch it.

And we have a tiered system.  FFP is effectively tiered.  That's the problem.

• Like 2

Just now, BOF said:

Or maybe scrap FFP.  Why bother trying to come up with financial gymnastics to try and protect something which at its core is fundamentally anti-competition.  Just ditch it.

No arguments from me. :) 

45 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't think La Liga have any say over what PSG can/can't do and the transfer will go through, but they're at least making the point that a £198m transfer fee is, frankly, ridiculous and there's no way that PSG can "legally" fund it.

There are rumours that the Qatari state will pay Neymar £200m so he can, himself, buy out his contract and move to PSG.  The implication would be that PSG essentially get Neymar for free.  It's bonkers and have a **** dodgy Arab state dictate transfer fees in football (to the benefit of one club... at the moment) is dangerous.

So, sure, La Liga are crying and there's nothing they can really do (their own rules **** them over, which is pretty amusing!).  But it's an important point to be made IMO.

Although I'm sure there's a large swathe of people who cannot wait for European football to be entirely run and dictated by Russia/China/Qatar/UAE - because we all just love wealthy owners.

why are they "dodgy"?

and whats different between them and the various russians, yanks, chinese or other arabs that have been dictating transfer fees in football for the last decade? man city's arab owners have spent £130m on full backs this summer, emirates have pumped move all over europe through various teams, neymars move to barcelona was funded by having "qatar" on the front of their shirt...