Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

31 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Doesnt have enough influence in a game to be a starter. Nice to have off the bench occasionally but his creative output isn't good enough. I've really been pushing for him over the years but consistent output of quality is poor but is great in flashes.

2nd in goals and 2nd in assists I believe. All while not really being a regular starter.

Compared to the rest of the team his output is good and the potential to do more is clearly there. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

There is little point speculating about bringing in more players when Bruce and his coaches have failed spectacularly with some of the Championship performers. 

We don't need more midfielders at all, infact we need to shift 3 and start coaching the ones we have how to play together.

I agree and disagree, we really lack width.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Totally, Green stood out again yesterday but other than adomah (currently injured) we have to resort to playing players out of position (the likes of bjarnesson, grealish, hourihane, Lansbury and bacuna have all be deployed on the wing at some point)

A versatile, fast winger should be our priority IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

There is little point speculating about bringing in more players when Bruce and his coaches have failed spectacularly with some of the Championship performers. 

We don't need more midfielders at all, infact we need to shift 3 and start coaching the ones we have how to play together.

Although they might be good enough to get promoted under the right manager I think the players we've recruited over the last 12 months in general were overrated.

Central midfield is still a problem for me. I don't rate Veretout or Lansbury. If I was doing a starting IX today I'm forced to put Bacuna there because I don't think we have anybody better. Ideally I would have him at RB or RM.

Edited by Michael118

14 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Watching Steve Bruce interview in Portugal he said the plan was to play 5 at the back, which is probably why he hasnt bought any wingers.

Its odd then that all 3 preseason friendlies we have played 4 at the back, and tried to use wingers.. go figure

45 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

2nd in goals and 2nd in assists I believe. All while not really being a regular starter.

Compared to the rest of the team his output is good and the potential to do more is clearly there. 

Looks like 5 goals, 2 assists, 5 yellows and 1 red in just under 1900 minutes of football. Just over 1 shot per game.  i know he's not quite 22 but been around for a few seasons and only looks good in flashes for me, that potential should deliver more and he gets his minutes so should have no complaints there

13 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Watching Steve Bruce interview in Portugal he said the plan was to play 5 at the back, which is probably why he hasnt bought any wingers.

Its odd then that all 3 preseason friendlies we have played 4 at the back, and tried to use wingers.. go figure

If he goes into the season playing 5 at the back I'll likely be calling for his head.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Which 2 would you leave out?

Johnstone

Hutton Chester Terry Amavi

Jedinak

Bacuna

Agbonlahor Kodjia

;)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Although they might be good enough to get promoted under the right manager I think the players we've recruited over the last 12 months in general have been overrated.

Central midfield is still a problem for me. I don't rate Veretout or Lansbury. If I was doing a starting IX today I would have Bacuna in there because I rate him and because I don't think we have anybody better. Ideally I would have him at RB or RM.

If I was doing a 18 man squad bacuna would not be in it - brings nothing to the team at all in my opinion , 

i think lansbury and hourihane are both very good players at this level - the problem is the manager has not used them to their strengths.

Another good wide pace option would be useful - we need to utilize the loan market - Bruce has  many contacts among managers - let's hope someone can loan us an upcoming starlet who can create that bit of magic .

• Like 1

Football really is a funny ol' game. I've come away from yesterday's game with complete opposition opinions to some fans that I've read.

On the 'number 10' discussion, I still think Ross McCormack is our best option there. I've only seen negative comments about him from yesterday's game, but like the start of last season, he looked like our main attacking outlet to me. He was the only player making clever runs into little pockets of space and picking up the ball in dangerous areas, he tried the 'quick lay off' quite a few times, and fair enough it didn't come off every time (which I'm putting down to fitness/rustiness), but you could see how frustrated he was with himself when a pass didn't come off, and that shows me that he really wants to succeed here.

I don't see the need for a number ten when you've got a guy in the mould of McCormack in the squad already: creative, can score himself, doesn't need to rely on pace in the number 10 position.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Eastie said:

If I was doing a 18 man squad bacuna would not be in it - brings nothing to the team at all in my opinion , 

i think lansbury and hourihane are both very good players at this level - the problem is the manager has not used them to their strengths.

Another good wide pace option would be useful - we need to utilize the loan market - Bruce has  many contacts among managers - let's hope someone can loan us an upcoming starlet who can create that bit of magic .

Good post and much I agree with there. I would also add that the signing of John Terry was hopefully going to assist in the loan market but there is still time yet for that to happen.

It may be that the collapse of the Amavi deal plus the lack of outgoings has hindered any further signings?

39 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Football really is a funny ol' game. I've come away from yesterday's game with complete opposition opinions to some fans that I've read.

On the 'number 10' discussion, I still think Ross McCormack is our best option there. I've only seen negative comments about him from yesterday's game, but like the start of last season, he looked like our main attacking outlet to me. He was the only player making clever runs into little pockets of space and picking up the ball in dangerous areas, he tried the 'quick lay off' quite a few times, and fair enough it didn't come off every time (which I'm putting down to fitness/rustiness), but you could see how frustrated he was with himself when a pass didn't come off, and that shows me that he really wants to succeed here.

I don't see the need for a number ten when you've got a guy in the mould of McCormack in the squad already: creative, can score himself, doesn't need to rely on pace in the number 10 position.

I still feel Vertout has enough about him to be Villa's Merson in the Championship.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, striker said:

Good post and much I agree with there. I would also add that the signing of John Terry was hopefully going to assist in the loan market but there is still time yet for that to happen.

It may be that the collapse of the Amavi deal plus the lack of outgoings has hindered any further signings?

Probably the case - the problem is not helped by having a fair number of players we would like to offload who are on contracts that pay much more than prospective buyers would probably be able to match .

The current squad is far too big :(

6 minutes ago, striker said:

I still feel Vertout has enough about him to be Villa's Merson in the Championship.

I was impressed with him yesterday but does he want to stay ? If so then a far better option than the likes of Gardner or bacuna and if he does get a run in the team he seems to possess the passing ability that we missed last season - looked very comfortable in possession .

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

If he goes into the season playing 5 at the back I'll likely be calling for his head.

I think 3 CBs suits the players we have, with width from the fullbacks, because we only have Green as a natural winger. we can then play one out and out striker and have tons of options for who to play centrally. The worrying managerial decision for me is why we haven't seen a 3 yet, if he's thinking of playing it, we should have seen it already.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I think 3 CBs suits the players we have, with width from the fullbacks, because we only have Green as a natural winger. we can then play one out and out striker and have tons of options for who to play centrally. The worrying managerial decision for me is why we haven't seen a 3 yet, if he's thinking of playing it, we should have seen it already.

Maybe as baker was out injured ? I'd guess his preferred 3 would be terry , Chester , baker with jedinak as back up - certainly wouldn't want Richards or Hutton in any circumstances in central defense - not sure why elphick is not figuring .