Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Looks like 5 goals, 2 assists, 5 yellows and 1 red in just under 1900 minutes of football. Just over 1 shot per game.  i know he's not quite 22 but been around for a few seasons and only looks good in flashes for me, that potential should deliver more and he gets his minutes so should have no complaints there

There weren't many players who provided more. 

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

Football really is a funny ol' game. I've come away from yesterday's game with complete opposition opinions to some fans that I've read.

On the 'number 10' discussion, I still think Ross McCormack is our best option there. I've only seen negative comments about him from yesterday's game, but like the start of last season, he looked like our main attacking outlet to me. He was the only player making clever runs into little pockets of space and picking up the ball in dangerous areas, he tried the 'quick lay off' quite a few times, and fair enough it didn't come off every time (which I'm putting down to fitness/rustiness), but you could see how frustrated he was with himself when a pass didn't come off, and that shows me that he really wants to succeed here.

I don't see the need for a number ten when you've got a guy in the mould of McCormack in the squad already: creative, can score himself, doesn't need to rely on pace in the number 10 position.

I was dissappointed with McCormack yesterday but as you say, he did get involved but was just extremely sloppy. He was definitely one of the problems as to why we couldn't create anything yesterday. 

I still think he's got a role to play but needs to hit the ground running if he's going to cement that starting spot. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Maybe as baker was out injured ? I'd guess his preferred 3 would be terry , Chester , baker with jedinak as back up - certainly wouldn't want Richards or Hutton in any circumstances in central defense - not sure why elphick is not figuring .

Just guessing but imagine he's close to leaving so he's not being risked. 

But in the same thought pattern, it must mean no one wants Micah Richards..... :( 

• Like 1

Just now, richp999 said:

Crikey bacuna over Lansbury or vertout. Have you started early? Lansbury started brilliantly with us and seemed to have the creativity coached out of him slowly. Jury is still out on vertout in this league, but could turn out to be a good performer this year. I'd have both over bacuna any day. 

Yeah I don't rate either of them. I'd be very, very surprised if we got promoted under Steve Bruce with Lansbury and Veretout as our starting CMs.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The squad is good enough to win the league as it is. Easily.

Need a coach to sort them out though. If given shape/freedom to dish out some pastings at home, we could easily romp this division without any more additions. I couldn't believe how low in quality it was last season. Exciting, tight races for play-offs ≠ quality of play.

Buying a good keeper wouldn't have hurt though.

I've thought this but then I've had doubts more recently... I just don't think I know enough about the competition in the Championship to say that now. Plus, I really like Lansbury, Hourihane, Hogan, and so on... but I've only actually seen them play a full game a handful of times as I never watched the Champ before last year, I don't really watch anyone but us and even then I was frustrated to just be watching 2min highlights after most games. 

What if the players we have aren't that good? 

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

I've thought this but then I've had doubts more recently... I just don't think I know enough about the competition in the Championship to say that now. Plus, I really like Lansbury, Hourihane, Hogan, and so on... but I've only actually seen them play a full game a handful of times as I never watched the Champ before last year, I don't really watch anyone but us and even then I was frustrated to just be watching 2min highlights after most games. 

What if the players we have aren't that good? 

I think we have players that are good enough, but too samey.

I still think the balance is not right......some of the players look like someone should be doing something for us.

We are still looking at bringing a couple in.....just hoping it brings that synergy to our game to give us fluidity.

I think our ability to win the ball is holding us back.....we keep losing ground in midfield.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think we have players that are good enough, but too samey.

I still think the balance is not right......some of the players look like someone should be doing something for us.

We are still looking at bringing a couple in.....just hoping it brings that synergy to our game to give us fluidity.

I think our ability to win the ball is holding us back.....we keep losing ground in midfield.

I agree, and I am hopeful, I suppose my pessimistic nature is just taking over! 

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I agree, and I am hopeful, I suppose my pessimistic nature is just taking over! 

well i have to admit its testing my optimism

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael118 said:

If I was doing a starting IX today I'm forced to put Bacuna there because I don't think we have anybody better. Ideally I would have him at RB or RM.

To be fair I can't see us getting promoted if we start games with 9 players. 

I went so far after the first season as to get Bacuna on the back of my shirt. I still wear it to this day and think he can get unfair critism on here. I would not say it is a critism to state he isn't as good an option in the centre of midfield as Hourihane, Lansbury, Veretout or Jedinak. Dare I say I'd even prefer Tshibola in there. 

Bacuna is a great utility player for the league and will get games because he can slot in pretty much everywhere except up front. What he certainly is not, is a starting central midfielder. The other names stated are either proven in the league or have great potential and to have them behind Bacuna in the pecking order would be an odd desicion in my eyes. Square pegs......

19 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I went so far after the first season as to get Bacuna on the back of my shirt. I still wear it to this day and think he can get unfair critism on here. I would not say it is a critism to state he isn't as good an option in the centre of midfield as Hourihane, Lansbury, Veretout or Jedinak. Dare I say I'd even prefer Tshibola in there. 

Bacuna is a great utility player for the league and will get games because he can slot in pretty much everywhere except up front. What he certainly is not, is a starting central midfielder. The other names stated are either proven in the league or have great potential and to have them behind Bacuna in the pecking order would be an odd desicion in my eyes. Square pegs......

Bacuna and great don't belong in the same sentence.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

This can't be emphasised enough. Bacuna is very average in a number of positions. He is a good option in a squad due to him being able to play in varied positions, but he is just a squad player in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I disagree. I did qualify the word great with "utility player" and "for the league"....

I get that you and many others on here don't like him but surely it's acceptable to see him as a decent bench option in the championship. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I disagree. I did qualify the word great with "utility player" and "for the league"....

I get that you and many others on here don't like him but surely it's acceptable to see him as a decent bench option in the championship. 

It's nothing to do with not liking him, I just think he is a distinctly average player even at this level. His versatility owes more to his lack of ability to hold down any position than it does a range of abilities.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Michael118 said:

I'd be very, very surprised if we got promoted under Steve Bruce with Lansbury and Veretout as our starting CMs.

And i would bet my anal virginity we won't get promoted under Steve Bruce with Leandro Bacuna as a starting central midfielder.

I'll send my number to Stefan Postma just incase  ;)

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

And i would bet my anal virginity we won't get promoted under Steve Bruce with Leandro Bacuna as a starting central midfielder.

I'll send my number to Stefan Postma just incase  ;)

I'll be a part of this bet, I'm not fussy xxxx

2 hours ago, skarroki said:

I thought we looked our most dangerous last season when Bacuna was playing as a CM. It might not be his ideal position but I don't think we have another player (apart from Jedinak) who can offer as much in that position as Bacuna. I don't mind Hourihane but he's been disappointing so far and am not fully convinced. I'm not a fan of Lansbury or Veretout. Tshibola is raw and I haven't seen anything from him to suggest he would be a better option for CM next season than Bacuna.

I'd like us to try and sign Mark Milligan. He's a ready made CM with international and World Cup experience. He's played regularly with Jedinak at the Socceroos. He can fill in for Jedinak if needed and play alongside him or ahead him in a slightly more advanced position. A midfield group of Jedinak, Milligan, Bacuna and Hourihane should be more than solid enough at this level and we can then focus on finding a LW and a number 10.

Edited by Michael118