17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Just buying British massively inflates the wage bill as we found out to a cost. I agree a lot of them did their best but there's no way you can see NRC at 8m was value for money. After his first season we started him out of position at RB, frequently, then he went to the bench and eventually left on a free. Same for Cuellar.

Big reason why no top 4 club ever took him is he was allergic to sign players from abroad and that hurt us aswell.

I quite liked O'Neill but can't disagree with what you have said here mate. He certainly massively limited himself by not looking further afield.

35 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I quite liked O'Neill but can't disagree with what you have said here mate. He certainly massively limited himself by not looking further afield.

O'Neil felt Zat Knight was better than Cahill and Harewood was a good signing.

No matter how good a manager is. When he does things like the above you know straight away he will only take you so far.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

WIll have to be one upfront for foreseeable future then, god knows what happens if/when Davis picks up a knock!

Still got plenty of midfield options, Snodgrass, Adomah, Grealish back now, hopefully Andre Green isn't too far away so Davis to hold it up and more goals needed from midfield is the formula required.

It is a concern though considering what happened last January when all our forwards got injured at the same time.

As promising as Davis is as a target man he's not a poacher.

To get goals we'll have to play with the midfield a bit higher up and hope they can contribute with even more goals.

If our game plan is to play deep and hoof it to Davis and hope he can hold it up til the rest of the team can catch up we'll be in trouble. That's a OK plan B.

But it can't be plan A

• Like 1

The big problem here is not so much going to be scoring goals, we have enough talent top end to play with the one striker, but more the pressure it puts on Davis!

The games come thick and fast now, can we really keep him fit for them all?

This is going to be like Final Destination keeping him away from injuries!

Sheffield United are doing it despite having utter shite like Leon Clarke in the team as well. Just shows this league is not that strong, and we should still be targeting automatic promotion.

The Kodjia injury is bad, but we could still play Davies upfront with Grealish, Adomah and Snodgrass behind. Pretty much every side in the league (except Wolves) would love to have that as a starting point, let alone fall back plan.

Time for Bruce to earn his corn.  He's seen as one of the top managers in the league (and no doubt paid like it as well), so he needs to adapt and keep us going forward. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, andym said:

Sheffield United are doing it despite having utter shite like Leon Clarke in the team as well. Just shows this league is not that strong, and we should still be targeting automatic promotion.

The Kodjia injury is bad, but we could still play Davies upfront with Grealish, Adomah and Snodgrass behind. Pretty much every side in the league (except Wolves) would love to have that as a starting point, let alone fall back plan.

Time for Bruce to earn his corn.  He's seen as one of the top managers in the league (and no doubt paid like it as well), so he needs to adapt and keep us going forward. 

Yes all valid points. Our team on paper is stronger than Sheffield united. But teams like them and wolves have been very lucky on injury front. We have suffered a real injury problem since August.

green out long term

grealish out long term

terry out long term

kodjia out two long terms

hogan out now

de laet was also out long term

wolves and Sheffield united have been very fortunate they have had no injuries 

EDIT and also jedinak.

The only team that has had worse injuries than this is preston

Edited by Demitri_C

9 hours ago, andym said:

Time for Bruce to earn his corn.  He's seen as one of the top managers in the league (and no doubt paid like it as well), so he needs to adapt and keep us going forward

Is this possible with our manager? I view our set-up as one that goes out to be tight and compact and hit on the break.  With Terry missing I can't help but think Bruce will keep the midfield even closer to the back four and I fear this will limit our scoring chances.

It will be no surprise to me if we see a few matches where we draw 0-0 or lose 1-0, 2-0 in the forthcoming games. Of course, I hope this doesn't happen and we win a decent few and sustain our challenge at the top end of the league. It's just that the past 12 months, together with the injuries we have to key players, do not fill me with any great expectations.

This season has play-offs written all over it. I think we'll be ok squad wise, but we won't be as good as we could have been and a firing Kodjia and fit Terry make all the difference. 9 points off second now, anything but a win today and any momentum will officially be dead. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think we need to be targeting top 4, for me being in play offs and having second leg at villa park I think we can beat anyone full strength. Anything above is a bonus as it stands

No. We need to be targeting top 2. 

• Like 3

I'm talking in a vein that the manager and players are in it together.

I don't think we are good enough for top 2.......and losing key players, top 6 is debatable.

we find it hard to score and only a bit easier to defend.

just not good enough as a team.