17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

I think we will see Sheff Utd fall away at some stage. Not so sure on Cardiff. 

Next 6 games for us - I reckon 11 points.

Sunderland (H) - W

Ipswich (H) - D

Leeds (A) - L

Millwall (H) - W

Derby County (A) - D

Sheff Utd (H) - W

We need to be within 3 points of Sheff United come the game against Derby County. They then have Preston away and then us.  

Edited by omariqy

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

I think we will see Sheff Utd fall away at some stage. Not so sure on Cardiff. 

Next 6 games for us - I reckon 11 points.

Sunderland (H) - W

Ipswich (H) - D

Leeds (A) - L

Millwall (H) - W

Derby County (A) - D

Sheff Utd (H) - W

We need to be within 3 points of Sheff United come the game against Derby County. They then have Preston away and then us.  

That would pretty much kill off our promotion (top 2) challenge.

Pretty much need 15 points as a minimum to get anywhere near the top two now. 

Cardiff, Sheffield and Wolves are all maintaining the magic number of 2 points per game. 

They have done so all season, and will probably maintain it over the rest of the season, even if they have a small blip at some point.

For Villa to get to the 2 points per game position, we need to win our next 6 game in a row! 

Edited by ender4

11 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

I sometimes feel this. I always have a nervous feeling that we are riding a wave of good form that will crash down at any moment. But as time goes by and we continue to win more games than not, I am starting to believe that for the first time in years we are organised and half-decent. 

My worry is that even during our period of good form, we've never even come close to catching the top 2. 

Basically, good form isn't good enough, we need amazing form now.

13 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I really think Sheff United will start dropping points soon. They concede a lot of chances and they have lost one of their best players to a leg break. 

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

United have a recall option in january and west brom are looking to make a move uts being reported

The papers were reporting Pulis fancied adding Johnstone to the squad.

Pulis has been sacked so maybe on the back burner now.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Cardiff, Sheffield and Wolves are all maintaining the magic number of 2 points per game. 

They have done so all season, and will probably maintain it over the rest of the season, even if they have a small blip at some point.

For Villa to get to the 2 points per game position, we need to win our next 6 game in a row! 

I still think Cardiff and Sheff United will drop points. It was criminal Cardiff won on Saturday with the chances Brentford had. 

Plus when they both come to Villa park hopefully we can bring back old times and Villa park is rocking.  

If the crowd start believing and become a '12th man' like in the past. Villa park can become a fortress!

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I still think Cardiff and Sheff United will drop points. It was criminal Cardiff won on Saturday with the chances Brentford had. 

Plus when they both come to Villa park hopefully we can bring back old times and Villa park is rocking.  

If the crowd start believing and become a '12th man' like in the past. Villa park can become a fortress!

Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Fulham get a result at the blades tomorrow night .

Long way to go and we are bang in the mix .

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Leeds away we wont win but we should be targeting 9 points in the other 3 home games for our next four 

Leeds won their first game at home in 2 months yesterday, or something like that.

I agree it'll be a tough game but not one we need to write off.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Leeds won their first game at home in 2 months yesterday, or something like that.

I agree it'll be a tough game but not one we need to write off.

Yes not to write off but we dont do well there. Last season we were utter crap. And of course sky want us to lose hence why they show they game on live tv also. Cretins

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

You really think that all 3 of those teams are going to finish on 90 odd points? Wolves probably will but Cardiff and Sheff Utd? 

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Our big problem is, every point that we have needlessly dropped makes the task that much more difficult.

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Our big problem is, every point that we have needlessly dropped makes the task that much more difficult.

Only if sheff united and cardiff can keep up that form.  United have just now picked up their first major injury if they pick up the level we have they will struggle. Cardiff are very good at home average away. They are phyiscal. If you can match them physically they are definitely beatable for me

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Only if sheff united and cardiff can keep up that form.  United have just now picked up their first major injury if they pick up the level we have they will struggle. Cardiff are very good at home average away. They are phyiscal. If you can match them physically they are definitely beatable for me

I agree with you, and hope, think indeed, that you will be proved correct. But mine was really more of a general point.

• Thanks 1

Sheffield have already lost 5, but have managed not to have a draw yet.  Sure, they are doing brilliantly to have won 12 but it shows they are less secure in that position that Wolves and Cardiff.  I'm sure they will drop away.  Bristol are in our sights already.  A long way to go as long as we keep the form of the last 10 games.  Getting hard to see us catching Wolves, but I reckon 2nd is still possible.

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

Sheffield have already lost 5, but have managed not to have a draw yet.  Sure, they are doing brilliantly to have won 12 but it shows they are less secure in that position that Wolves and Cardiff.  I'm sure they will drop away.  Bristol are in our sights already.  A long way to go as long as we keep the form of the last 10 games.  Getting hard to see us catching Wolves, but I reckon 2nd is still possible.

Thats my feeling. But a lot can happen. Wolves could pick up a massive injury crisis or hit bad form who knows. Cant see them spending big winter personally.

Sheffield united could do a huddesfield. I still maintain boro will be a big threat. 

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

You really think that all 3 of those teams are going to finish on 90 odd points? Wolves probably will but Cardiff and Sheff Utd? 

Only 2 teams.

So far we haven't shown that we can manage 2 points a match average, those 3 teams have shown they can.