17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

43 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Only 2 teams.

So far we haven't shown that we can manage 2 points a match average, those 3 teams have shown they can.

I disagree - you can't really prove it until the end of the season. We're not even half way through and anything can happen at this stage. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

I disagree - you can't really prove it until the end of the season. We're not even half way through and anything can happen at this stage. 

fair enough.  I hope you are right. 

I still think we'll finish top 2 as well, but i'm getting more and more worried with each match that passes.

at some point, we need to move from 3rd gear into 5th gear.

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

fair enough.  I hope you are right. 

I still think we'll finish top 2 as well, but i'm getting more and more worried with each match that passes.

at some point, we need to move from 3rd gear into 5th gear.

I thought you'd be getting less worried seeing that we've won the last 7 from 10! :)

15 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I thought you'd be getting less worried seeing that we've won the last 7 from 10! :)

That's actually made me more worried.

I thought winning 7 out of 10 would have pushed us virtually into the top 2, yet we are still 7 points away (same as 10 games ago).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I thought winning 7 out of 10 would have pushed us virtually into the top 2, yet we are still 7 points away (same as 10 games ago).

It would have if we were not playing catch up.  If we repeat this we wont be far off!

33 minutes ago, ender4 said:

This just actually shows why people were so concerned when we weren't picking up points.

We knew we were risking falling too far behind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats my feeling. But a lot can happen. Wolves could pick up a massive injury crisis or hit bad form who knows. Cant see them spending big winter personally.

Sheffield united could do a huddesfield. I still maintain boro will be a big threat. 

So the only way we can catch them is if they pick up a massive injury crisis. Basically admitting they're much better than us :lol: 

Which they are, don't get me wrong.

17 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

So the only way we can catch them is if they pick up a massive injury crisis. Basically admitting they're much better than us :lol: 

Considering they had a full strength team all season and we havent i thibk thats benefitted them massively 

• Like 1

We are definitely in the hunt for a top 6 finish after Saturday but the real test is yet to come. 

December is going to be very tough in light of our injury situation so if we can get through that busy period within touching distance of the play offs them we have a chance.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I think villa boro leeds and derby will all finish above sheff utd , Bristol city and Cardiff we are nowhere near halfway yet - all those 3 clubs below us will fancy getting into the top 2 as should villa . 

Its where we are in may that matters , we are nicely placed right now and have a much stronger squad .

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The only difference between us and Wolves right now is that they hit the ground running and we did not. 

We'd probably will need to beat them at Villa Park, but I won't be shocked if they have a wobble. 

I wouldn't say that's the only difference. They played us off the park not so long ago

The other thing with Wolves is even when they are not playing that well they've got so many top players that will do something out of nothing. I can't remember who they were playing on Saturday but they were all over Wolves.

Then one bit of slick link up play between Jota and Cavelerro and they 1-0 up. 

They will win the league comfortably in my opinion. 

Edit: they were playing Reading.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wouldn't say that's the only difference. They played us off the park not so long ago

The other thing with Wolves is even when they are not playing that well they've got so many top players that will do something out of nothing. I can't remember who they were playing on Saturday but they were all over Wolves.

Sure, I remember the game. Despite the results we played Brighton 'off the park' last season also. Maybe not to that degree, but it's football. Shit happens. 

I get your point. However, the form table tells a different story. 

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yes but if they had jota Bonita injured or both then what? Wolves have had absolutely zero injuries this year. We haven't been so lucky, key players with long term injuries kodjia, jedinak, grealish green and now terry.

how would wolves cope with this? They are younger and more inexperienced side. I think they will struggle if this were to happen. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes but if they had jota Bonita injured or both then what? Wolves have had absolutely zero injuries this year. We haven't been so lucky, key players with long term injuries kodjia, jedinak, grealish green and now terry.

how would wolves cope with this? They are younger and more inexperienced side. I think they will struggle if this were to happen. 

They they would have Costa and Enobakhare to come in.  Their squad is quite strong. 

I see where you are coming from though. They have been lucky with key players staying fit.  

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sure, I remember the game. Despite the results we played Brighton 'off the park' last season also. Maybe not to that degree, but it's football. Shit happens. 

I get your point. However, the form table tells a different story. 

We've dropped points recently as well wheras they haven't. They are top of the 6 game form chart and 10 game form chart. 

I see where you are coming from though.The poor start has left us playing catchup all season. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They they would have Costa and Enobakhare to come in.  Their squad is quite strong. 

I see where you are coming from though. They have been lucky with key players staying fit.  

I actually feel we have better squad depth than them. I think they will hit a rough patch when they hit some injuries 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I actually feel we have better squad depth than them. I think they will hit a rough patch when they hit some injuries 

Hope you're right.  Don't really know enough about the rest of their squad to be honest.

I think we are strong in all positions apart from left back, centre half and maybe upfront although we have been quite unlucky in this area. 

7 points is a massive gap to close when everyone keeps doing well. We found that out last year. We closed the gap to 6 from the playoffs at one point but fell away as teams kept on winning. That’s what happens. We’ve not been involved in the top end of a division for ages so people forget how hard it’s can be to close gaps when teams do well. We will always have a bad game in us and losing to Sheffield Wed was a big loss especially with the games in December. If we are still within 7 come January we will be doing well. Let’s get 2 Home wins to set us up for a big month.