17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Sooooo, we have played 17 games, got 29 points, and the 2 points a game target means we are 5 points off where we need to be. I think we could win the next 2, so we'd only be 3 points off at that point. December will be hard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

If we can be in that top 4/5 come January and bring in a couple of the right players we just might do it. 

Oh why do I allow myself to dream? 

Yes, we are Aston Villa. You are only setting yourself up for disappointment. 

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

If we can come away from the first half of the season around the 2 points per game mark I might start to believe. I don't think Wolves are catchable at this point, but I'm hoping United and Cardiff start to fall away. 

I’ve been watching a fair bit of Wolves lately and they are good but they have also been incredibly fortunate in a number of games including yesterday.

They will in my view drop points, more points than they’ve dropped to date.

The first half of the season in the Championship is predominately about putting yourself in position to challenge in the second half when the real promotion battle starts.

Despite our shit start it looks like we’ve put ourselves in the race which in my view starts in ernest from December.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’ve been watching a fair bit of Wolves lately and they are good but they have also been incredibly fortunate in a number of games including yesterday.

They will in my view drop points, more points than they’ve dropped to date.

The first half of the season in the Championship is predominately about putting yourself in position to challenge in the second half when the real promotion battle starts.

Despite our shit start it looks like we’ve put ourselves in the race which in my view starts in ernest from December.

Fortunate with injuries too. 1 player missing. Sheffield 2. They are also unchanged quite often. Surely some injuries or loss of form/fatigue will play a part.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I'm not sure we are in a position to do anything in January. Maybe recall mccormack.

Well we'll know for sure if the money's dried up (because it's gone or due to FFP) if we do nothing because our injury list is catastrophic and the chance of a PL return will be gone IMO if we don't get at least a striker and central defender in. 

The fact is as winter starts to bite we will probably get even more injuries as well.  I said in yesterday's match thread, Samba is a big unit who is ageing and has not played much footy lately.  I will be very surprised if he's not crocked shortly. 

The striker situation is dire, we are running on fumes up front. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Well we'll know for sure if the money's dried up (because it's gone or due to FFP) if we do nothing because our injury list is catastrophic and the chance of a PL return will be gone IMO if we don't get at least a striker and central defender in. 

The fact is as winter starts to bite we will probably get even more injuries as well.  I said in yesterday's match thread, Samba is a big unit who is ageing and has not played much footy lately.  I will be very surprised if he's not crocked shortly. 

The striker situation is dire, we are running on fumes up front. 

What's Gabby up to these days....?

I'd say we need a cb and a striker only (if jhnstone leaves then we need a keeper too)

I think we are close if we get those two areas sorted I think we are seriously in with a chance for top two. As Trent said wolves are not that great, a few defeats and injuries then we see what happens. They have been so so lucky this far

Edited by Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd say we need a cb and a striker only (if jhnstone leaves then we need a keeper too)

I think we are close if we get those two areas sorted I think we are seriously in with a chance for top two. As Trent said wolves are not that great, a few defeats and injuries then we see what happens. They have been so so lucky this far

Err, what makes you think Johnson leaving is even a remote possibility?

I think we are going up. Don’t know if that’s automatic or playoffs but I think it is going to happen. Just a feeling.

I also respect different viewpoints but I’m just enjoying it all at the moment. We have a few players in who I like watching. We have some promising youth on the fringes. We have players like Hogan where I am curious to see if they come good and players like Adomah who have been way better than I expected. I can easily see a situation where we DON’T go up, of course, and I have seen us play some dire stuff at times but even so it’s nice to be at the right end of the table after the past few years and I just hope we are in the mix come May, even if we don’t quite make it.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I'm not sure we are in a position to do anything in January. Maybe recall mccormack.

unless there's an injury crisis for a particular position, we'd only really need defensive support at this point - A centre back maybe.

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I think we are going up. Don’t know if that’s automatic or playoffs but I think it is going to happen. Just a feeling.

I sometimes feel this. I always have a nervous feeling that we are riding a wave of good form that will crash down at any moment. But as time goes by and we continue to win more games than not, I am starting to believe that for the first time in years we are organised and half-decent.