17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

18 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Five teams that will be between 2nd and 6th for me are derby, villa, Cardiff, Fulham, boro

I think Bristol will be instead of Cardiff. I agree on the rest. 

Think it'll be 

Wolves, Villa, Derby, Fulham, Bristol City. In that order. Don't want to guess who will finish 6th cos there seems to usually be a surprise package or a team that comes into form late and sneaks in on the last game week.

For the sake of Midlands football I'd like us wolves and derby to go up and Stoke + west brom to survive in the prem but that seems very wishful thinking already. 

Finally feel like we are a team that doesn't need to fear any opposition and more importantly the players are conveying that they feel the same with the last few performances. 

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

Think it'll be 

Wolves, Villa, Derby, Fulham, Bristol City. In that order. Don't want to guess who will finish 6th cos there seems to usually be a surprise package or a team that comes into form late and sneaks in on the last game week.

For the sake of Midlands football I'd like us wolves and derby to go up and Stoke + west brom to survive in the prem but that seems very wishful thinking already. 

Finally feel like we are a team that doesn't need to fear any opposition and more importantly the players are conveying that they feel the same with the last few performances. 

Nah screw West Brom. I would want it to be Wolves, us and Bristol City if possible...if not, Fulham. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, skarroki said:

Think it'll be 

The fear for me is not their ability, but their application.

Every game now ,we should be totally up for it.....We have to be.

ps I was going to say every game should be like a cup final....but,then I cast my mind back to the last debacle.....so I deemed it inappropriate.:)

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

ps I was going to say every game should be like a cup final....but,then I cast my mind back to the last debacle.....so I deemed it inappropriate.:)

Spot on mate! They are quite an experienced bunch in that team and they shouldn't need telling that automatic promotion is well within their reach and capabilities. They shouldn't be thinking it would be an achievement - they should be expecting to overturn the deficit and get that second spot.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TRO said:

But no, I agree with you in a sense about the cup mentality aspect..

There are now only 18 games left. I feel we will use up about 4/5 of those games climbing to 2nd and being stable there and maintaining there.

The question I wonder, beyond 2nd place will Wolves drop 12 points from their remaining 18 games and us winning 14 of our remaining games to take it to the wire?

Edited by AvfcRigo82

15 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

But no, I agree with you in a sense about the cup mentality aspect..

There are now only 18 games left. I feel we will use up about 4/5 of those games climbing to 2nd and being stable there and maintaining there.

The question I wonder, beyond 2nd place can we see Wolves losing 4 games from their remaining 18 and us winning 14 of our remaining games to take it to the wire?

I can't see us winning 14 out of 18. We *could* win 90% of our home games if we keep going for it at home and the crowd are at it and we get on a run. So what's that 9/10 wins? We'd then have to win 5 or 6 on the road, which I just can't see to be honest. I think the best we could hope for is winning 12, drawing a few and losing a few. Which would see us finish high 80s points wise and probably second?

More likely is winning 10 and drawing four and losing four. So seeing us finishing on 84 points, Which might be enough if the wins are against our direct rivals and we don't lose to any direct rivals.

Very tight. Point or more tomorrow and that's a fairly big hurdle got over and we can go on a bit of a run of wins again hopefully! 

I would say cant argue too much with him

Are Aston Villa ready for a return to the Premier League?

Last Updated: 30/01/18 6:24am

Aston Villa are in the thick of the Sky Bet Championship promotion battle as they target a return to the Premier League.

Steve Bruce's side sit fifth in the table ahead of their trip to Sheffield United on Tuesday night, which is live on Sky Sports Football, but are they ready for a crack at getting back to the top flight? We asked David Prutton...

Latest Sky Bet odds

Check out all the latest odds from the Sky Bet Championship, League One, League Two and more here

What is Villa's target this season?

Villa had a difficult December but since winning at Middlesbrough just before the New Year they've been in superb form in the league.

Scott Hogan in particular is back among the goals and that has been massive for them. They've missed Jonathan Kodjia badly this season and, Albert Adomah's purple patch aside, they've lacked a regular goalscorer until now.

Now they've got their sights set on a top-two finish, but anything less than finishing in the top six would be incredibly disappointing for them.

Highlights of the Sky Bet Championship match between Aston Villa and Barnsley.

Is there still pressure on Bruce?

He'll be under pressure because he knows what the expectations are at a club like Aston Villa. He was brought in due to his record of getting promotions, and he'll know if he's given the right amount of time that he'll get them back up sooner or later.

He's been as exasperated as anyone at their inconsistency at times this season, but he's always been very up front and honest when he's realised his team weren't good enough. Their last defeat in the league at Brentford on Boxing Day was a perfect example of that.

I think he's proved he's got what it takes to get them to the Premier League, whether it happens this season or not. Villa were on the slide when he came in and it's not always easy to turn that around, regardless of the size of the club. He should be given time to do the job he was brought in to do.

Is their squad good enough for the Premier League?

They would obviously have to strengthen their squad, as any side does after getting promotion. They've got an experienced Premier League manager but there's no doubt they'd need another striker and maybe a couple of others as well.

Would John Terry fancy another season in the Premier League? You get the feeling he'd want to prove himself at that level again, despite having done it for so many years already.

They've got plenty of experience in their squad at that level as well, and there are also the likes of Conor Hourihane and Albert Adomah who deserve a crack at the top flight.

Conor Hourihane has been in impressive form for Aston Villa

Who are their main challengers for promotion?

Assuming that Wolves continue to run away with it, it looks as though there are a fair few teams below them competing for the second automatic promotion spot.

You'd have Derby as the favourites right now as they occupy that spot and are on a good run themselves, and they're similar to Villa in how they've built their success this season on having a solid base, much like Cardiff as well. The other teams around them such as Bristol City, Sheffield United and Fulham are often a little bit more cavalier in their approach.

It's such a tight battle right now but if I had to narrow it down I'd say that Derby and Aston Villa are the main challengers for the top two, I can't split them though! It could go right down to the final day of the season.

Prutton On Villas Promotion Chances

We really need to get a striker in on loan until the end of the season. If we could get Afobe in then we would have a great chance of getting 2nd. Otherwise we are relying on Hogan staying fit and that won't happen. 

Edited by villa89

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

We really need to get a striker in on loan until the end of the season. If we could get Afobe in then we would have a great chance of getting 2nd. Otherwise we are relying on Hogan staying fit and that won't happen. 

100% agree; why gamble? get another striker in and have hogan davis RHM and <insert mystery striker here>

I dont want gabby playing anymore for us 

• Like 1

I think the best option is to reintegrate RMac into the team. He's a similar striker to Hogan who he can replace in the event he gets injured and is also quite good in his own right. We also have Davis to come in if we need something different.

Hogan

Davis

McCormack

RHM

Is good enough to see us over the line imo. 

53 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Unfortunately we won't be signing Afobe on loan.

On 29/01/2018 at 06:08, Keyblade said:

Nah screw West Brom. I would want it to be Wolves, us and Bristol City if possible...if not, Fulham. 

Agree, can't be doing with the gloating any longer, give them a couple of seasons back where they belong. Would like Bristol to go up, they play some tidy football and they're crap at Villa Park lol. 

45 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think the best option is to reintegrate RMac into the team. He's a similar striker to Hogan who he can replace in the event he gets injured and is also quite good in his own right.

I have to disagree. They are not similar at all.

Hogan hardly has the physicality to play up front on his own, but is quick enough to run in behind and cause problems that way.

McCormack is a forward who drops deeper and so won't occupy centre halves of the other team.

The player he's most similar to is probably Grealish, but he doesn't have Jack's new found ball carrying ability.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 06:08, Keyblade said:

Screw Wolves too.  Us, Bristol City and Sheffield United would be perfect.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I think the best option is to reintegrate RMac into the team. He's a similar striker to Hogan who he can replace in the event he gets injured and is also quite good in his own right. We also have Davis to come in if we need something different.

Hogan

Davis

McCormack

RHM

Is good enough to see us over the line imo. 

Cant see it myself with Mccormack. Bruce would rather use gabby as 4th choice than mccormack hence why i want to see another striker brought in. sorry but their are a lot of striekrs that are capable of scoring more than 2 league goals than davis and better injury records than the others 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Screw Wolves too.  Us, Bristol City and Sheffield United would be perfect.

I mean bar a historic collapse Wolves are probably getting promoted. I like them too, they're a likeable and maybe club. The prem can do with more teams like them as opposed to West Brom or Stoke.

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Tbh I'd rather Villa, Wolves and Derby went up. More midland clubs in the top flight the better IMO. Everyones obsessed with London or Manchester these days, drives me insane.

Agree with this although you have to admit the only thing in common those teams have with us is the distance. 

Derby stoke Leicester Coventry will never be derbys. 

10 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Tbh I'd rather Villa, Wolves and Derby went up. More midland clubs in the top flight the better IMO. Everyones obsessed with London or Manchester these days, drives me insane.

Yes more Midlands based clubs in the top flight.

Coventry, Forest, Derby, Leicester, WBA, Stoke, Wolves, SHA etc. Would be nice to see this happen in the same league one day.

• Like 1