17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

i didnt want the sheff united game televised as you know now they will highlight the mistakes jedinak made and try ramp up the pressure on us 

Sky in showing the goals from the previous encounter shock. It's a conspiracy! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Beat the Blades and it's well and truly on. That would be maximum points from 5 teams with an average placing of 10th including outlier that is 19th place Barnsley. 

It would be 3 wins against playoff teams/hopefuls out of 3 as well. Our fixtures after that are much kinder and I expect us to be putting a huge run together after that.

Of course, Villa are known to kill our optimism with one swift blow. Every time. But I have a feeling now it will be different.

Every game somebody says 'beat such and such and it's on'. I've a feeling we won't lose many during the run in, but we will probably lose a couple. It's how we recover that counts. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Well, the distraction of the cup is now gone (fecking awful defending for the first goal). Time to start hunting down Wolves.

Bummer mate. Hoped you would knick it from the oilers.

12 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Bummer mate. Hoped you would knick it from the oilers.

Such a soft first goal to concede killed us.

Then a second early in the second half meant it was game over- we needed 4 goals at that point.

Still proud of the team, they went out there to attack and try and win, both our defeats to Man City came down to injury time goals, possibly mental exhaustion, as no team has worn us down so consistently over 90 minutes.

On the positive note, the ball hit the back of the net right in front of me for both our goals (front row seat), couldn't have been better placed for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Well, the distraction of the cup is now gone (fecking awful defending for the first goal). Time to start hunting down Wolves.

I thought your lot, aquitted themselves very well indeed. You drove them harder than many premier league clubs have done this season.

Bravo.

ps i think you have a good side.

Edited by TRO

7 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Such a soft first goal to concede killed us.

Then a second early in the second half meant it was game over- we needed 4 goals at that point.

Still proud of the team, they went out there to attack and try and win, both our defeats to Man City came down to injury time goals, possibly mental exhaustion, as no team has worn us down so consistently over 90 minutes.

On the positive note, the ball hit the back of the net right in front of me for both our goals (front row seat), couldn't have been better placed for them.

Taking City to 3-2 is a great achievement be proud as they are a bloody good side. They also knew you had a bit of quality about yourselves hence why they played a very strong side.

I hope you make the play offs and we get automatic :) 

Edited by Demitri_C

11 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Mega congrats and respect on the cup run and performance.

But you can piss off if you think we are giving you the "hunting Wolves" spot easily. :P

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mega congrats and respect on the cup run and performance.

But you can piss off if you think we are giving you the "hunting Wolves" spot easily. :P

Just thought we'd give you a 2 point head start in catching them :P

QPRs movement will seem like a snail moving in tar after that Man City side last night, should be an interesting game to bounce back to.

Holloway is absolutely hated by our fans, so the atmosphere should be good just because that clown is there.

Only 3 games this weekend, a win could put pressure on yourselves, Cardiff and Derby for Tuesday night.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Just thought we'd give you a 2 point head start in catching them :P

QPRs movement will seem like a snail moving in tar after that Man City side last night, should be an interesting game to bounce back to.

Holloway is absolutely hated by our fans, so the atmosphere should be good just because that clown is there.

Only 3 games this weekend, a win could put pressure on yourselves, Cardiff and Derby for Tuesday night.

I think they'll be a come down period. I didn't see the game but looking at the stats and result it seems like it was a real roller coaster ride. Players will be drained physically and mentally. I think QPR will do you. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think they'll be a come down period. I didn't see the game but looking at the stats and result it seems like it was a real roller coaster ride. Players will be drained physically and mentally. I think QPR will do you. 

You could easily be right.

I'm hoping a half decent atmosphere (usually is against a Holloway side) will help carry the team.

Bolton and Sunderland after, so should win a game in February.

On 22/01/2018 at 00:10, briny_ear said:

I wonder if that is luck, or alternatively a well-structured squad designed to be resilient to the gruelling slog that the Championship represents.

If it was a well structured squad then why would Bruce have preferred to play a DM at the back over 2 natural centre halves? A right back at left back?

In addition to the above he preferred Green over Adomah and it was injuries that allowed Adomah to shine. 

Now don't get me wrong, non of the above is a dig at Bruce. I actually agreed with his selection. I just think we have been fortunate in how certain things have worked out for us when it looked like everything was against us. 

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

You could easily be right.

I'm hoping a half decent atmosphere (usually is against a Holloway side) will help carry the team.

Bolton and Sunderland after, so should win a game in February.

I hope you continue to do well. I reckon most neutrals like Bristol City and how the manager wants you to play. It seems like a well run club. 

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I hope you continue to do well. I reckon most neutrals like Bristol City and how the manager wants you to play. It seems like a well run club. 

In some respects getting relegated 5 years ago was a blessing in disguise.

Completely changed our approach of things and started a lot of investment in behind the scenes stuff.

Obviously I dont know about Villa as much, but perhaps it may be the same for you with the changes in how you're run.

Since promotion we've had the relegation fights but stuck with the principles laid out and it seems to be paying off.

I feel with Villa the relegation was coming, but when you go up you'll be in a stronger position than your last couple of years before relegation.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Completely changed our approach of things and started a lot of investment in behind the scenes stuff.

Obviously I dont know about Villa as much, but perhaps it may be the same for you with the changes in how you're run.

Since promotion we've had the relegation fights but stuck with the principles laid out and it seems to be paying off.

I feel with Villa the relegation was coming, but when you go up you'll be in a stronger position than your last couple of years before relegation.

I think with Villa we were so badly run for so long that we won't really know how well the new regime is or have been running the club until a few more years have passed. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I agree mate. i think we will be like burnley. we kind of needed relegation to help us sell the club and bounce back. I think we will not be a yo yo club if we went up this summer 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think with Villa we were so badly run for so long that we won't really know how well the new regime is or have been running the club until a few more years have passed. 

I think that's probably true.

It's taken until year 5 for this to start paying off for us, the promotion from League 1 was almost a necessity as a part of things and there had still been scepticism on how we've gone about things at the start of this season.

Actually if I removed myself from knowing the details at City and just looked at the surface of things there's a few similarities.

Both sides were delaying the inevitable when avoiding relegation.

Both had a regime change at the top (of sorts, yours a different owner, ours a complete change in strategy)

Both had flirted with the relegation zone in the first season after relegation.

Both promoted back to where they were in the second season (tbc ;))

We could pay more than most teams in League 1 and assembled a side of the best players, you've done similar in the Championship.

• Like 3

I think we'd have been far better off just going down in 2011/12 under McLeish. That shock might have forced some genuine change when we were still a half decent football club.

Instead we slowly got worse and worse as Lerner got away with running the club into the ground off the back of Christian Benteke and a strong dose of luck until the bottom finally fell out and we went down with 17 points and a -50 GD. It's been a much bigger job to rebuild such a broken club.

• Like 4