17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

57 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yeah if we score the first goal I’d feel confident we’d see it through.

The defence has been excellent, especially recently. One goal conceded from open play during our previous seven matches.

Which is why I feel we might need to explode out of the blocks and shock them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Which is why I feel we might need to explode out of the blocks and shock them.

As with anything tho, it's a double edged sword, what if we go hell for leather at them and concede on the break early on, will piss on the game plan I'm sure. 

I don't see SB changing too much, think we'll try and start solid, aim to keep a clean sheet and hope we nick one. 

People can say that's not good enough and we should be aiming for better but it's worked time and time again in history. 

Plus, whilst we have scored a really decent amount of goals this season, I'd suggest our best strength is still the defence, nothing wrong in playing to those strengths. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

As with anything tho, it's a double edged sword, what if we go hell for leather at them and concede on the break early on, will piss on the game plan I'm sure. 

I don't see SB changing too much, think we'll try and start solid, aim to keep a clean sheet and hope we nick one. 

People can say that's not good enough and we should be aiming for better but it's worked time and time again in history. 

Plus, whilst we have scored a really decent amount of goals this season, I'd suggest our best strength is still the defence, nothing wrong in playing to those strengths. 

I’m happy for us to frustrate them and hit them on the break or create chances from set pieces etc. I think that will be the general theme of the game. They will have most of the ball but will struggle to create much. 

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Exactly. We keep clean sheets. We kept boro to two shots on target over two games.  If we do that in one game we will go up. Wrong time to go gun ho now. Hard work and attitude will carry us through, just wait and see.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

completely agree. we've been rock solid this season defensively and that is definitely one of our strongest points so we should utilize it. Fulham are happy to keep possession and pass the ball around and to do that they will most likely have to commit a lot of players far up the pitch which leaves them vulnerable to counter-attacks which is another strength of ours. I think that their style of football will suit us perfectly. the only thing I'm really fearful of is us dishing out one of those deadly mistakes that can kill a match. nerves will be the decider imo. let's hope ours are cooler than Fulham's, but I believe they will be. 

Yep agreed.

Whilst I would agree with the general view that AT TIMES we were penned in too much by Boro, I think the times when that tie went well is what we should be aiming for here.

Second half vs Boro for example. Soaked up any pressure and were effective on the break. That's what we need to do here.

Going too attacking against a team like Fulham is suicide.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep agreed.

Whilst I would agree with the general view that AT TIMES we were penned in too much by Boro, I think the times when that tie went well is what we should be aiming for here.

Second half vs Boro for example. Soaked up any pressure and were effective on the break. That's what we need to do here.

Going too attacking against a team like Fulham is suicide.

Agree and fortunately we never really go too attacking against anyone.  

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yeah if we score the first goal I’d feel confident we’d see it through.

The defence has been excellent, especially recently. One goal conceded from open play during our previous seven matches.

Very much this. However I fear if they get the first

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Agree with this.

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Very much this. However I fear if they get the first

But this is also my fear which is why I am wondering if we catch them off guard early, we would be better off then reverting to our "Thou shalt not pass" after scoring.

Either route is risky, they are a very good side.

So we risk being TOO defensive, and them carving a way out and having to attack anyway OR being to attacking and getting hit on the break, fine margins.

Whilst not Kodjias biggest fan I wouldn't be averse to maybe him starting to add a dimension we really haven't had for the whole season.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Fulham’s defence is virtually as good as ours, and our attack is virtually as good as theirs ( for anyone interested in statistics).....there’s so little to choose as to be immaterial.

The same fears we have, they will have. They are no more likely to go ‘ gung ho’  than we are. The only real difference we will see - in my view - is in a marginal difference in the numbers committed forward by each when a clear opportunity presents, we will have 2/3, they will have 3/4.

It is a well worn cliche, but I am more certain than ever that the first goal will be absolutely crucial, ( as indeed it usually is in Play Off finals ) and frankly who gets that is likely to be down to luck as much as anything else.

Hopefully we will perform to our best and Fulham will wilt under the pressure of the huge occasion - tomorrow night will bring delight or devastation - having seen us win and lose finals at Wembley it is very much a place for winners only - fingers crossed the day will belong to us and if so what a wonderful party we will have - good luck all - let’s hope our dreams are achieved tomorrow - bring it on :)

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

On 23/05/2018 at 23:13, terrytini said:

Fulham’s defence is virtually as good as ours, and our attack is virtually as good as theirs ( for anyone interested in statistics).....there’s so little to choose as to be immaterial.

The same fears we have, they will have. They are no more likely to go ‘ gung ho’  than we are. The only real difference we will see - in my view - is in a marginal difference in the numbers committed forward by each when a clear opportunity presents, we will have 2/3, they will have 3/4.

It is a well worn cliche, but I am more certain than ever that the first goal will be absolutely crucial, ( as indeed it usually is in Play Off finals ) and frankly who gets that is likely to be down to luck as much as anything else.

I agree Terry, its a cigarette paper that separates these two.....one going for experience and age......one going for youth and energy.

For me.....The team that wants it the most, will get it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I agree Terry, its a cigarette paper that separates these two.....one going for experience and age......one going for youth and energy.

For me.....The team that wants it the most, will get it.

I hope so, as I’m confident that will be us....apart from a couple of games our drive has been exceptional.

Personally, I think the sides are so similar it will be luck that decides it. A decision here, a deflection there.

We will see.

Like everyone else I just want the game to start - it’s hard to think of a game like it in years.

43 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I hope so, as I’m confident that will be us....apart from a couple of games our drive has been exceptional.

Personally, I think the sides are so similar it will be luck that decides it. A decision here, a deflection there.

We will see.

Like everyone else I just want the game to start - it’s hard to think of a game like it in years.

It is a pretty unique scenario, and I don’t think there’s a game English football like it. There are other play offs obviously but none with such a rich prize.

We certainly haven’t been in a game of this weight/magnitude/importance for a good long while. It won’t just be season defining I have a feeling it’ll be the defining point of the last 5-10 years, and the next years too.

• Like 1