17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Fulham have only reached a Wembley final once before. They lost that one. No doubt they will enjoy their big day out again 43 years later. By the way, John Terry has fond memories of playing them already having scored the winner against them in the 2002 semi final at Villa Park of all places. Anyway enough of Fulham, we have a game to win tonight! 

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

To those worried about fulham look at the side we fielded that day. If we beat boro injuries permitting it will be a completely different side.  We respect them- butfear ?no way.

20180515_071511.png

In fairness, about 8 of those names would be in most of our ideal starting line ups.

However I agree that Grealish, Grabban and hopefully an inform Adomah would massively improve that side. We were playing Snodgrass on the left that day I think, that really didn’t help us. Missing Jack and Albert that day did leave us disjointed.

52 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Fulham players will be back to their thinking they’re invincible and will see Wembley as their home turf. Suits us down to the ground. 

Why would they? That's like saying of the game was at molieneux it woukd be home turf for us.

They will feel confident and if we get there I think we would have learned alot from the game at the cottage 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why would they? That's like saying of the game was at molieneux it woukd be home turf for us.

They will feel confident and if we get there I think we would have learned alot from the game at the cottage 

Well if the national stadium was in Birmingham, it would feel quite homely I'd imagine. Also, heard one of their players on the radio this morning, sounds like the Derby tie wasn't a big deal and that they expect to beat anybody on the day. Contrasted with messaging coming out of Villa, the win will come from hard work etc.

I can't see how anyone can say they "can't see us beating Fulham".

Look, if we turn up and play shit then of course they'll beat us. They're a good team.

But we're a **** good team too. If we get to Wembley and we are on our game on the day then we've got an amazing chance at promotion.

I'm not massively confident, but I think as long as the players are up for it then we'll be right in it.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Outside of the top six/seven it’s one big relegation scrap with teams purely existing to secure their Premier League status. 

As someone pointed out: a decent chunk of games are pretty much lost before a ball is kicked. You’re mostly hoping to just not get thrashed against the top six, or at best to nick a rare draw/win if you’ve caught one of them on a bad day. 

We’ve already experienced what a season upon season struggle against relegation feels like and we’re trying to win the chance to be back there again. It’s a miserable existence. It leaves a club like ours in limbo. We’re too big to be down here but not rich enough to challenge in the Premier League. 

Here are a few results from this season:

Watford 3-3 Liverpool 

Chelsea 2-3 Burnley

Stoke 1-0 Arsenal

Man City 1-1 Everton

Spurs 1-1 Burnley

Stoke 2-2 Man Utd

Liverpool 1-1 Burnley

Spurs 0-0 Swansea

Newcastle 1-1 Liverpool

Crystal Palace 2-1 Chelsea

Watford 2-1 Arsenal

Huddersfield 2-1 Man Utd

Spurs 1-1 West Brom

Leicester 2-1 Spurs

Watford 1-1 Spurs

West Ham 1-0 Chelsea

Southampton 1-1 Arsenal

Liverpool 1-1 Everton

West Ham 0-0 Arsenal

Liverpool 0-0 West Brom

Everton 0-0 Chelsea

Leicester 2-2 Man Utd

Man Utd 2-2 Burnley

Man Utd 0-0 Southampton

Crystal Palace 0-0 Man City

West Brom 1-1 Arsenal

Spurs 1-1 West Ham

Chelsea 0-0 Leicester

Bournemouth 2-1 Arsenal

Southampton 1-1 Spurs

Swansea 1-0 Liverpool

Chelsea 0-3 Bournemouth

Burnley 1-1 Man City

Watford 4-1 Chelsea

Newcastle 1-0 Man Utd

Brighton 2-1 Arsenal

Everton 0-0 Liverpool

Chelsea 1-1 West Ham

Newcastle 2-1 Arsenal

Man Utd 0-1 West Brom

Brighton 1-1 Spurs

West Brom 2-2 Liverpool

Liverpool 0-0 Stoke

Brighton 1-0 Man Utd

West Brom 1-0 Spurs

Man City 0-0 Huddersfield

Leicester 3-1 Arsenal

Chelsea 1-1 Huddersfield

West Ham 0-0 Man Utd

Newcastle 3-0 Chelsea

I looked at your post and tended to agree, but I wonder whether our years of constantly battling relegation, cost-cutting, bargain-hunting and changing manager has given us a worse opinion of the Prem. Not to mention that any of us who know Baggies fans will have seen and heard about them doing a similar thing (but to a lesser extent) in the past few seasons.

Looking at the above results, and seeing some of the wins/draws that dross like West Brom, Huddersfield and Swansea got, the league can’t be as difficult as we seem to think.

A bit of managerial consistency, a few decent signings and a team pulling together and I think we’ll be able to enjoy the Premier league again, even if it means we’ll be hoping to enjoy a scraped 1-0 win over Man Utd like we did back under O’Neill.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

As someone pointed out: a decent chunk of games are pretty much lost before a ball is kicked

That is quite literally not true, and if you believe it, why watch football in the first place?

As I said in another thread, if we play like we did in the second half on Saturday we could well become undone. Boro have literally nothing to lose and some very capable players at this level: Traore can be very dangerous on his day, Bamford and Assombalonga can score at this level and I think Besic is very good (again at this level). It's not a foregone conclusion and we will have to be aggressive and positive on the ball. I'm sure we will do it but we can't really look beyond tonight. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, terrytini said:

I was just wondering if anyone had a link to the various Media condemnations of the appalling scenes that followed Fulham’s Win last night ?

Ive not been able to find any, yet I know the6 must be there because it was like a return to the dark days of football.

And is Linekar on holiday as he’s not mentioned it.

And no, I will never let it lie !

in fairness in the cold light of day, i'm sure they would take those comments back if they could

The only team I fear is ourselves. We are so inconsistent. Smash Wolves then lose to QPR and Bolton. Play Reading off the park, then lose to Norwich etc. You just don't know which Villa will turn up on the day.

Which is why I'm not even fully confident about tonight, let alone the final. All I know is that if we play to our potential, we shouldn't fear anyone...not even Fulhalona.

• Like 2

I can understand the nerves but at least we now know what we have to do.

Ask me at the start of the season if we had to beat 'Boro and Fulham for promotion in the last 2 games and I'd have bitten your arm off.

Come on Villa, we can do this.

And come on all my claret and blue bleeding bretheren, it's time for unwavering support, hope and glory, a massive end to this rollercoaster season. This is why we do this isn't it!

UTV VTID

3 hours ago, Jareth said:

Well if the national stadium was in Birmingham, it would feel quite homely I'd imagine. Also, heard one of their players on the radio this morning, sounds like the Derby tie wasn't a big deal and that they expect to beat anybody on the day. Contrasted with messaging coming out of Villa, the win will come from hard work etc.

Let them say what they want. As long as we get there they can under estimate us at their own risk.