The Manager thread

Xela

On 15/06/2019 at 09:52, villa4europe said:

Chelsea have problems far bigger than the manager, remind me of us under Lerner but with better players so they are getting away with it

Fat frank won't solve their issues and with him being so young still he has to believe his Chelsea chance will come one day down the line, it doesn't have to be now under these asshole players, absent owner and a transfer ban, should stay where he is and do the same thing again next season with derby 

@useless I think his problem in the playoff final is he changed the formation and tactics for the Leeds away game which worked a treat for him and then maybe due to inexperience decided to stick with it for us rather than revert to what they knew (not that their usual tactics helped in our league games)

Fat frank? 

Jeezus, shudder to think what that makes me.....

Lee Bowyer has left Charlton. Apparently unable to agree a new contract a couple of weeks after getting Charlton promoted. Supposedly going to Derby if Lampard goes to Chelsea.

Bit of a weird statement from the club..

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d07a7df422e2/charlton-unable-to-reach-an-agreement-with-lee-bowyer-on-contract-extension

Charlton Athletic have been unable to reach an agreement with manager Lee Bowyer regarding the extension of his contract.

The fact the club is for sale has not helped with finding an agreement. The current owner needs to take into account that a new owner may want to appoint his own manager. However, this concern did not stop the current owner proposing a contract extension of one year to Lee Bowyer, even though the club may be sold in a few weeks. Under those circumstances a multi-year extension would not be good business practice.

In addition, since the club is still losing money, which is one of the reasons why the club has not been sold yet, the focus on reducing costs means that we are extremely limited on payroll increases. 

Lee has been offered a one-year extension to his contract at a level which is approximately three times what he had since his last increase when he became permanent manager in September. It is six times what he earned when he started as assistant manager in 2017 and 50% more than what any Charlton manager previously had (excluding the Premier League years). This reflects the strong desire we have to continue to have Lee as our manager. But Lee wanted much more.

The owner understands Lee’s point of view, because many Championship clubs pay huge amounts (some pay millions of £ per year) to their manager. It is fair that Lee feels he should be paid like many other Championship managers. That the average Championship club makes a loss of around £15 million per year is not something players should care about. The owners are crazy. 

This is why we could not come to an agreement. Another element may have influenced as well. Unlike previous contract discussions, Lee wanted an agent to handle it. We reluctantly accepted. However, involving a player agent in a manager’s contract discussion is not healthy. If the agent helps make the manager more money, it may result in the manager to have a more positive attitude towards players proposed by the same agent, a conflict of interest. Obviously, Lee is above such things, but it is nevertheless not a healthy situation. 

The club hasn’t started to look for any other manager in the meantime and does not intend to appoint a permanent manager, since the club is going to be sold. A caretaker manager will be announced in due course and in the meantime the other staff members will continue to prepare the upcoming season for which a lot of good work has been performed already.  

If Lee does change his mind before his contract expires and chooses to continue his good work at Charlton, he is still welcome to stay. 

However our ability to sell the club is the most important thing right now. 

Edited by LakotaDakota

Olof Mellber on his way to Danish second division side Fremad Amager to serve as assistant manager to Azrudin Valentic.

Azrudin Valentic was assistant manager to Olof Mellberg at Brommapojkarna.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Henrik Larsson appointed helsingborgs manager

Will end in tears, the guy is a petulant little twerp. 

Then again they are relegation favorites with their economy in the dump so it's not like they are expecting wonders.

I know his last spell there was controversial, both as player and manager. He demanded very special treatment and flew to away games while the team went by buss or train.

There was also a lot of disappointment from youth level as he ignored the youth teams and kids when he returned from playing abroad.

And then it all ended in calamity when a "fan" punched his son Jordan after a home game and he resigned,

Never thought he'd go back there but he's not been getting any job offers so I guess they are both desperate.

On 18/06/2019 at 02:08, LakotaDakota said:

Lee Bowyer has left Charlton. Apparently unable to agree a new contract a couple of weeks after getting Charlton promoted. Supposedly going to Derby if Lampard goes to Chelsea.

Bit of a weird statement from the club..

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d07a7df422e2/charlton-unable-to-reach-an-agreement-with-lee-bowyer-on-contract-extension

Charlton Athletic have been unable to reach an agreement with manager Lee Bowyer regarding the extension of his contract....

This reads as though it was written by a 12 year old. In one sense I can appreciate that some fans of the club would love the frankness of the statement but it's just so unprofessional. 

As expected Luis Enrique is stepping down from the Spain job.

For personal reasons, he's been absent for a while now but under stand in Robert Moreno they are 4 from 4.

late to the party but I am happy for Robbie Keane going to boro. He wom my respect as a player and bloke during his brief spell with us here, a light in some dark days. Hope he makes it as a manager.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

On 19/06/2019 at 16:16, sne said:

As expected Luis Enrique is stepping down from the Spain job.

For personal reasons, he's been absent for a while now but under stand in Robert Moreno they are 4 from 4.

Wtf happened there, anyway? I’m sure it’s like the worst kept secret on the internet or something, but it’s very odd. 

• Like 1

so in reality he knew Newcastle weren't really going anywhere and he couldn't do much more with them, they offered him a decent contract which he rejected in favour of a huge contract from china and in full knowledge that everyone would go **** nuts at Ashley rather than himself

I doubt there wont be the same amount of criticism aimed at him that gets aimed at the players and maybe even a few suggesting he had no alternative because of what Newcastle did to him, if Newcastle never offered him a deal then fair enough but I also seriously doubt that's the case, he's chosen the money and will get away with it

or maybe im just a cynic

edit - and first thing he has to do is stop carrasco leaving, been linked with arsenal and bayern

Edited by villa4europe

19 minutes ago, sne said:

Derby getting Philip Cocu is impressive.

could be another De Boer, big name and looks great in Netherlands but failed miserably in Turkey and Derby is not an easy job

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

could be another De Boer, big name and looks great in Netherlands but failed miserably in Turkey and Derby is not an easy job

Every appointment is a gamble and all that.

Â