The Manager thread

Xela

On 19/10/2019 at 19:06, villalad21 said:

Lampard is doing a phenomenal job so far.

They've obviously lost hazard but last season sarri went the first 12 games unbeaten, winning 8 of them before going on to finish 3rd, lose the league Cup final and win the EL

Not completely knocking Lampard but it does seem like their demise was overstated 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

They've obviously lost hazard but last season sarri went the first 12 games unbeaten, winning 8 of them before going on to finish 3rd, lose the league Cup final and win the EL

Not completely knocking Lampard but it does seem like their demise was overstated 

Yep how that can be considered a bad season is beyond me. Lampard won't do as well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

But Sarri was foreign so got no backing from the media mates

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

The football was also largely uninspiring and he refused to play the young talent they so clearly had/have.

Just because someone gets good press doesn't mean there's something sinister going on, Lampard was liked and respected before he became a Manager - he's then gone and done pretty well in his first 18 months as a Manager.

Not everything is a conspiracy.

• Like 3

On 21/10/2019 at 12:05, Zatman said:

It was a strange season for Chelsea. They were a lot better first half of the season than after January when their away form was abysmal yet they ended up actually finishing a place higher due to Spurs totally collapsing in the league in the run in. 3rd was pretty flattering in the end but they wouldn't care about that.

League cup final v Man. City was arguably their best performance of the season so no criticism there. Disappointing in FA cup against Man. United.

Europa league win saved the perception although of course Benitez won that a few years back and was still hounded out of Chelsea by the fanbase. :lol:

From little bits and pieces I don't think their fans ever really took to Sarri (remember the chants of f*** Sarriball) so he clearly took the hint and pretty much decided to get out of there once he heard Juve might be interested (and for pretty much all Italians that's the dream job).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Rowett millwall manager. That has disaster all over it.

For the type of football they play, defensive and restrictive, I actually think it's a good fit. They only really want to stay up in the championship so he should comfortably achieve that.

On 21/10/2019 at 13:07, bannedfromHandV said:

The football was also largely uninspiring and he refused to play the young talent they so clearly had/have.

Just because someone gets good press doesn't mean there's something sinister going on, Lampard was liked and respected before he became a Manager - he's then gone and done pretty well in his first 18 months as a Manager.

Not everything is a conspiracy.

I didn't read it as a conspiracy theory, just a statement of fact. Lampard gets an easy ride from the London papers (he did as a player, and he did at Derby).

Sarri was never in a position to do what Lampard is doing now, because pre-Lampard, Chelsea were a results club, demanding immediate success. Lampard is fortunate that he has the goodwill within the club and outside the club to try and build a project long-term.

Great player, has all the attributes to be a great manager, and I hope he does well. But disagree that the Lampard / London media love-in is a conspiracy theory.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It was a strange season for Chelsea. They were a lot better first half of the season than after January when their away form was abysmal yet they ended up actually finishing a place higher due to Spurs totally collapsing in the league in the run in. 3rd was pretty flattering in the end but they wouldn't care about that.

League cup final v Man. City was arguably their best performance of the season so no criticism there. Disappointing in FA cup against Man. United.

Europa league win saved the perception although of course Benitez won that a few years back and was still hounded out of Chelsea by the fanbase. :lol:

From little bits and pieces I don't think their fans ever really took to Sarri (remember the chants of f*** Sarriball) so he clearly took the hint and pretty much decided to get out of there once he heard Juve might be interested (and for pretty much all Italians that's the dream job).

I think a lot of their fans hated him for persisting with playing Kante out of position for so long. That's certainly what all the ones I know moaned about.

• 1 month later...
On 22/10/2019 at 23:36, VillaChris said:

For the type of football they play, defensive and restrictive, I actually think it's a good fit. They only really want to stay up in the championship so he should comfortably achieve that.

Rowett doing very well at Millwall as expected, beat Swansea away at the weekend.

Â