The Manager thread

Xela

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't really see why that's so crazy. It's harsh, but they've narrowly scraped survival. Could easily have gone down and they have been on a pretty terrible run of form.

I think they'd have been one of the favourites to go down next season so may as well try to get someone else in.

Any team in the championship lacking a manager or thinking of changing manager would be crazy to not give serious consideration to Hughton.

Burnley could have done the same, but didn't. This was their second season in the league, it's always harder the second season - especially for a cub the size of Brighton. 

Fulham spent 100m and went down in season 1. Huddersfield found out how hard season 2 is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dick said:

Burnley could have done the same, but didn't. This was their second season in the league, it's always harder the second season - especially for a cub the size of Brighton. 

Fulham spent 100m and went down in season 1. Huddersfield found out how hard season 2 is.

Yep burnley didn't.

But plenty of teams have kept their manager and still gone down afterwards. Southampton did similar a few years ago but sacked Adkins and went from strength to strength. It can go either way.

Like I said, it's harsh on Hughton, but I don't think it's that surprising. It's a gamble whichever decision they make.

I think who they hire as a replacement will show us how mental a decision it was.

• Like 2

waiting for talksport - its obviously because he's black...

saw it coming, they'd gone stale and weren't progressing, he had hit his ceiling and I agree with @Stevo985 they would have been one of the favourites for the drop next year if he'd stayed, the problem is they've sacked him seemingly out of ambition their next move and transfer activity has to reflect that

also agree hughton will do the same with another decent championship team (trying to think if any of them have young up and coming managers and we could see a switcheroo)

will also be interesting to see what happens to farke in the next 2 years, hughton and wagner as a warning, its not uncommon or shocking

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep burnley didn't.

But plenty of teams have kept their manager and still gone down afterwards. Southampton did similar a few years ago but sacked Adkins and went from strength to strength. It can go either way.

Like I said, it's harsh on Hughton, but I don't think it's that surprising. It's a gamble whichever decision they make.

I think who they hire as a replacement will show us how mental a decision it was.

They are being linked with Potter from Swansea, which is baffling. 

I agree with a few, I think its a great decision by Brighton, things obviously went stale there and they would have been relegated if the other 3 teams weren't so poor. Southampton stuck with Mark Hughes (I know he didn't get them promoted etc) but that backfired and then they brought a manager who can potentially get them performing again. Brighton must see that and if they appointed someone like Graham Potter who is the bookies favourite at the moment they will have no regrets in a years time. It doesn't mean Hughton is a bad manager, sometimes teams need a change to keep progressing in the current game.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dick said:

He's done a superb job in my opinion. He's completely rebuilt Swansea, lost key players and still kept them competitive. They weren't too far behind ourselves. He also has European experience, and success and I think he's one of a few managers who deserves that chance. If he doesn't I wouldn't be surprised to see Swansea challenging next season.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

He's done a superb job in my opinion. He's completely rebuilt Swansea, lost key players and still kept them competitive. They weren't too far behind ourselves. He also has European experience, and success and I think he's one of a few managers who deserves that chance. If he doesn't I wouldn't be surprised to see Swansea challenging next season.

I agree with that, but that's why I would be worried if I was a Brighton fan. Potter this season has been a 'make the best of what you've got' manager, which he has done pretty well overall, but I would be worried that bringing him in is a sign they're going to batten down the hatches, spend as little as possible, and hope for the best. 

That's complete guesswork, obviously, but it's not a move that shouts 'ambition'. 

3 minutes ago, John said:

Very harsh to sack Hughton. What do Brighton expect CL qualification? He has done well to keep them up. Next WBA boss now perhaps?

1 win in 23 games, they would be my guarantee for relegation next season if he stayed on

2 minutes ago, John said:

Very harsh to sack Hughton. What do Brighton expect CL qualification? He has done well to keep them up. Next WBA boss now perhaps?

I don't know, they did reasonably well early season but absolutely collapsed. CL qualification is out of question, but it's more than reasonable to expect to a few points extra. They did have a very good cup run!

I guess it's an age old PL argument. Do we stick with a guy who got us 36 points and got us safe or do we get a different guy in the hope we can get to 42 points next season?

Best Brighton can hope for is 12-17th place. They decided to roll the dice, I hope it works well for them and for Hughton. 

He's done an excellent job there IMO, they're a piss pot club and he has got them promoted and retained them as a premier league side. There were some very poor signings but I don't believe in this day and age that he was responsible for them. I expect them to be nailed on to go down next season unless they spend outrageous amount of money on the right players. I'd wager they're going to go for a manager who plays more expansive football and that will be there undoing because they're a team lacking pace, athleticism and the ability to play with the ball.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's done an excellent job there IMO, they're a piss pot club and he has got them promoted and retained them as a premier league side. There were some very poor signings but I don't believe in this day and age that he was responsible for them. I expect them to be nailed on to go down next season unless they spend outrageous amount of money on the right players. I'd wager they're going to go for a manager who plays more expansive football and that will be there undoing because they're a team lacking pace, athleticism and the ability to play with the ball.

I think a club like Brighton are fully right to roll the dice to be honest. Clubs like that are always going to return from where they came from eventually, they might aswell enjoy it.

The faux outrage you see at these sackinsg is what annoys me the most. He has done a good job but when it's not you having to watch the football it's a lot easier to judge. They are turgid.
I liked to have a dig at Ipswich myself, it was only ever going to go one way when Mick left... but again, it's not us having to watch the football he serves up.

• Like 2

Re Hughton I called this a few weeks back although he didn't deserve being potted less than 24 hours after the season!

Chris Hughton has done magnificent job at Brighton and overall is a good manager. However he does have his limitations.

The rot set in second half of the season and they got very lucky in the end Cardiff couldn't win at Fulham otherwise it would've gone to final day.

Now the dilemma for Tony Bloom is....due to his great service do you give him the benefit of the doubt for next season, spend another 50m and then you start with 1 win in 10 and have to sack him in October/November or do you do it now and at least give yourselves a good chance? I'm sure Brighton will get some good applicants for the job with their stadium.

It's similar to his time at Norwich. Had a solid first season and then they wasted ridiculous amounts on likes of Ricky Van Wolfswinkel. Even he got most of the season and only left in April 2014 when they were all but down.

Brighton were doing fine but ultimately their attacking signings haven't been good enough. Locadia and the Iranian guy cost 30m between them! Was also looking forward to watching Izquierdo this season but he's hardly played.

Can see Hughton ending up at West Brom, feels the right sort of role for him.

8 hours ago, Dick said:

He's done really well at Swansea with all their cost cutting. Only a few points off the play offs was imo one of the more impressive feats by a championship club.

I think if he stays and they strengthen a bit more they could be a Norwich style surprise package next season.

Â