The Manager thread

Xela

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i saw on twitter last night a barrage of Celtic fans claiming he was washed up and not good enough for them

Embarrassing. They have Neil Lennon as manager. Jose could give Lennon his pre-season trophies and Lennon would be delighted

Last time I saw a Mourinho team play was United against West Ham in the Premier League.. Completely uninspired.

West Ham scored within minutes and United just had nothing on offer. I switched off, went to bed. In the morning I saw that the scoreline had got worse for Mourinho.

Mourinho has broken records (for the better) with Madrid, won the treble with Inter, won the Champions League as an underdog with Porto. Of course it doesn't end there..

But I'm not here to get my nose brown kissing ass.. I'm curious to know what went so wrong for him at United. I am open to the idea it was Pogba alone..

We had an import who had played in the NBA for the Washington Wizards come over and join the team I was playing for at the time..

This import and the head coach didn't see eye-to-eye, and because of the caliber of this import, having NBA experience and everything, the club sided with the import.

This coach had brought unprecedented success to the club and had been a member for at least 20 years. He was demoted to a lesser role within the club due to the fallout.

The toxicity between the two saw multiple players boycott training. It was a mess. All because these two grown ass men couldn't learn to work together..

Obviously whatever happened at United would be different. But Mourinho leaves and all of a sudden they look like European elite again. Doesn't make sense.

13 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Last time I saw a Mourinho team play was United against West Ham in the Premier League.. Completely uninspired.

West Ham scored within minutes and United just had nothing on offer. I switched off, went to bed. In the morning I saw that the scoreline had got worse for Mourinho.

Mourinho has broken records (for the better) with Madrid, won the treble with Inter, won the Champions League as an underdog with Porto. Of course it doesn't end there..

But I'm not here to get my nose brown kissing ass.. I'm curious to know what went so wrong for him at United. I am open to the idea it was Pogba alone..

We had an import who had played in the NBA for the Washington Wizards come over and join the team I was playing for at the time..

This import and the head coach didn't see eye-to-eye, and because of the caliber of this import, having NBA experience and everything, the club sided with the import.

This coach had brought unprecedented success to the club and had been a member for at least 20 years. He was demoted to a lesser role within the club due to the fallout.

The toxicity between the two saw multiple players boycott training. It was a mess. All because these two grown ass men couldn't learn to work together..

Obviously whatever happened at United would be different. But Mourinho leaves and all of a sudden they look like European elite again. Doesn't make sense.

Well, they did for a few weeks. The bounce was real, but they have been found out pretty quickly. 

I do think Pogba is incredibly disruptive, to the point I wouldn't want him at Villa in the Championship never mind the Premier League. But above all that, I think their squad is just a bit shit. They should have signed more 'Mourinho players', if you're going to appoint a manager like that you have to give him free reign. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well, they did for a few weeks. The bounce was real, but they have been found out pretty quickly

I do think Pogba is incredibly disruptive, to the point I wouldn't want him at Villa in the Championship never mind the Premier League. But above all that, I think their squad is just a bit shit. They should have signed more 'Mourinho players', if you're going to appoint a manager like that you have to give him free reign. 

Have they? I just checked their record under Ole and..

Apart from the 4-0 to Everton and the losses to Wolves, they have only lost Europe's elite. City, Arsenal, Barcelona etc.

Hardly condemning for a new manager who's had to turn a sh** show around, with a squad that's 'just a bit shit'.

5 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Have they? I just checked their record under Ole and..

Apart from the 4-0 to Everton and the losses to Wolves, they have only lost Europe's elite. City, Arsenal, Barcelona etc.

Hardly condemning for a new manager who's had to turn a sh** show around, with a squad that's 'just a bit shit'.

You brushed off those losses to Everton and Wolves (twice) as if it is no big deal, I don't agree. All in all they have won 2 drawn 2 and lost 8 of their last 12. Yes, to some good teams, but this is Manchester United we are talking about here. Their squad cost something bonkers like £800m. 

I'm not putting it all on Ole. I am saying the squad isn't of the required quality for a club of that stature. I watched them a couple of weeks ago against Chelsea, utterly dreadful game devoid of any quality. Either the manager will pay for it and off we go again, or the squad has to. Either way next season could be very interesting indeed. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You brushed off those losses to Everton and Wolves (twice) as if it is no big deal, I don't agree. All in all they have won 2 drawn 2 and lost 8 of their last 12. Yes, to some good teams, but this is Manchester United we are talking about here. Their squad cost something bonkers like £800m. 

I'm not putting it all on Ole. I am saying the squad isn't of the required quality for a club of that stature. I watched them a couple of weeks ago against Chelsea, utterly dreadful game devoid of any quality. Either the manager will pay for it and off we go again, or the squad has to. Either way next season could be very interesting indeed. 

I definitely see your point, and I realise that for United, even as they are, 4-0 to Everton is unacceptable.

I don't see consecutive losses to a Wolves team that will join the European elite as of next year, due to this years efforts, as anything but disappointing United's people.

Remember they have also taken some big scalps and recorded some hefty wins under Ole. I really don't see how they have been found out.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

Well one theory might be that when Ole first came in it was shackles off, go do what you do. Insane run happened. Winning breeds confidence breeds momentum. New manager bounce in action, think Tim Sherwood. Plus Pogba looked like he could be arsed, for a bit. Then perhaps Ole's ideas start to take hold, Pogba loses interest too and drags the squad down with him, they have had no get up and go for a long time now. If they hadn't just appointed him, this would be enough to take down any United manager to be fair. 

As you say fair play to Wolves, they're a decent Premier League outfit. But I think we're in danger of downplaying Manchester United's downfall here if we start giving them a pass for losing to Wolves twice in a couple of weeks, followed by an absolute pumping by Everton and showing no signs of actually wanting to beat a top club either. It's systemic of a long term problem, a squad that isn't good enough as I said (IMO). Either way, the manager needs to earn his salt and find an answer and right now, he isn't doing that. 

Ranieri stepping down at Roma after the season.

It's one of the clubs that's been linked with Mourinho...

Or will they rehire Spalletti and make room for Mourinho to return to Inter?

Conte is going to Roma I think. Maybe Sarri aswell if Chelsea sack him although that seems less likely with them getting top 4.

Just me surprised btw that Fulham gave Scott Parker the job full time? I know he picked up a few wins but would've thought they'd have got a more experienced manager in.

Probably be the same as WBA, they'll float around the top 6 all year without ever looking convincing for top 2 and then they'll sack him in March.

On 09/05/2019 at 21:32, A'Villan said:

I definitely see your point, and I realise that for United, even as they are, 4-0 to Everton is unacceptable.

I don't see consecutive losses to a Wolves team that will join the European elite as of next year, due to this years efforts, as anything but disappointing United's people.

Remember they have also taken some big scalps and recorded some hefty wins under Ole. I really don't see how they have been found out.

They haven't cut you any favours today losing 2-0 to Cardiff. 

I'll be surprised if they don't sack him in the summer. They kinda need to. 

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

They haven't cut you any favours today losing 2-0 to Cardiff. 

I'll be surprised if they don't sack him in the summer. They kinda need to. 

He either steps down or they sack him, surely. 

Â