The Manager thread

Xela

Quitting the league leaders (1 team league granted but still) at this time of the season says a lot about the league and the manager.

Nothing against Leicester but I hope he flops.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, John said:

Perhaps he didn't get the backing that he had been promised from the Celtic board that had persuaded him to stay on when we were in for him earlier in the year? :detect:

We werent in for him. His ego wouldnt allow him to drop to Chanpionship

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

We werent in for him. His ego wouldnt allow him to drop to Chanpionship

Yes, I think the PL was a big pull here, but I suspect he did think about moving to us when there were rumours of it.

No contest in his mind.

Celtic a big fish in a small pond and the draw of the gravy train money ( for himself and to buy players) in the Premier League would be a huge draw.

See how he does against the bigger spending teams of the Premier League but like someone before me, I hope he falls flat on his face. This will be his biggest test as our cat could manage Celtic such is the disparity in money available compared with the other sides up here bar sevco of course.🤮

If he does go to Leicester I'd watch out for him coming after McGinn as he tried to sign him for Celtic and obviously rates him. 🙄

Edited by newhavenhibby

no brainer for him IMO wasnt really backed last summer, got no where to go with celtic, ambition is to scrape in to the CL group stage and get a big night draw vs a top team, the league is shit and they will eventually be caught 

so now he joins a team who's ambition will be try and get 7th every season vs a declining everton, watford, bournemouth and wolves, maybe a decent cup run and will give him £50m every summer to do it, if he does it once in the duration of his contract he will be seen as a success

23 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

If he does go to Leicester I'd watch out for him coming after McGinn as he tried to sign him for Celtic and obviously rates him. 🙄

honest...if we put him in his proper role then energy, work rate, tackling win the ball, keep it simple, get it to grealish but watching him in the last couple of months with jack out and him getting more of the ball further forward requiring a better range of passing...he'd be a squad player north of £10m for them, they have ndidi who is a decent player

Really, really, really bloody annoys me that Scottish football fans just cannot accept their league is a steaming pile of horse shite. Everytime a player or manager jumps ship to go midtable or into the Championship there is this disbelief.

Your league is shite. it's an absolute waste of time. Deal with it.

Kinda surprised he hasn't stuck around until the end of the season as he is only a few games away from his potential "Treble, Treble"

Still think we could have got him here regardless of being in the championship if we had come up with the right deal/plan for the future

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Really, really, really bloody annoys me that Scottish football fans just cannot accept their league is a steaming pile of horse shite. Everytime a player or manager jumps ship to go midtable or into the Championship there is this disbelief.

Your league is shite. it's an absolute waste of time. Deal with it.

I think you will find there was NO surprise in my statement if you read what I said properly.

No disbelief when McGinn joined my boyhood heroes Aston Villa. Good job the league is there to develop players such as......John McGinn

No disbelief when Efe Ambrose, one of our best players this season wanted to leave to join Derby County etc etc etc

It is a mickey mouse league and can be shite but that is down to one thing now......money.

It is what it is but has given me some of the best days as a supporter even when compared to a certain night in Rotterdam watching the Villa winning the European Cup............................winning the Scottish Cup in 2016 was the best day ever bar none.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Kinda surprised he hasn't stuck around until the end of the season as he is only a few games away from his potential "Treble, Treble"

Still think we could have got him here regardless of being in the championship if we had come up with the right deal/plan for the future

Just like Moyes, Rodgers is too arrogant to drop down divisions and work his way up 

Disagree, moyes has failed and his reputation is shot, he should come down and rebuild it, Rodgers on the other hand hasn't really done anything wrong, I think Leicester is about the level he is at right now, do a shit job there and you can make a case but his CV warrants the chance

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Disagree, moyes has failed and his reputation is shot, he should come down and rebuild it, Rodgers on the other hand hasn't really done anything wrong, I think Leicester is about the level he is at right now, do a shit job there and you can make a case but his CV warrants the chance

Agreed. 

Plus Rodgers has paid his dues in the lower tiers of management. Assistant at Chelsea, 3 jobs in the championship before gaining promotion and getting a much bigger job. It's not like he's never managed in that league.

If he's made a conscious decision to not drop down to the Championship now then it's serving him well as he can clearly still get decent premier league jobs.

Â