The Manager thread

Xela

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Not surprising though Gross injury damaged tgem going forward. Keeper and defence are dreadful 

Really? Ryan is solid enough for bottom half and Duffy and Dunk is one of best combinations around for just heading and kicking it away when under siege (see Arsenal away recently). They did have a go upgrading their fullbacks with Bernardo and Martin Montoya coming in but no idea if they're up to standard or not.

I would say main weakness is out wide. Knockeart never really convinced at prem level, Locadia and Iranian guy been flops and Izquerido who had a decent first season been injury for most of this hence the limited supply to Murray.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

1 win in 23 games, they would be my guarantee for relegation next season if he stayed on

My bet for relegation with or without him.;)  I suspect they would have been more likely to stay up with him, but we'll never know now.  

21 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep burnley didn't.

But plenty of teams have kept their manager and still gone down afterwards. Southampton did similar a few years ago but sacked Adkins and went from strength to strength. It can go either way.

Like I said, it's harsh on Hughton, but I don't think it's that surprising. It's a gamble whichever decision they make.

I think who they hire as a replacement will show us how mental a decision it was.

Even if they wnet down Hughton would have Lilley brought them straight back up again. 

I will be interested to see who they get now. Maybe jokanvic or fat Sam? 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Even if they wnet down Hughton would have Lilley brought them straight back up again. 

I will be interested to see who they get now. Maybe jokanvic or fat Sam? 

Yeah but they didn't go down. So the remit isn't to get out of the Championship, it's to do well in the Premier League.

And he didn't do a very good job of that this season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah but they didn't go down. So the remit isn't to get out of the Championship, it's to do well in the Premier League.

And he didn't do a very good job of that this season.

I guess it depends on what the expectations of the club are. For me they will be a bottom half club. As long a she keeps them up that's all they will achieve and maybe. A good cup run. For me they are like Bournemouth who have stuck by howe. 

I think they will live to regret this decision later. 

I guess it depends on what the expectations of the club are. For me they will be a bottom half club. As long a she keeps them up that's all they will achieve and maybe. A good cup run. For me they are like Bournemouth who have stuck by howe. 

But he barely kept them up this season. I think likely if they kept him they'd go down next season.

The difference with Howe was he's always done really well with Bournemouth.

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why shouldn't they strive for more? 

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But he barely kept them up this season. I think likely if they kept him they'd go down next season.

The difference with Howe was he's always done really well with Bournemouth.

There have bene managers in the past that have scraped it then following season been successful. I think it's hasty

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why shouldn't they strive for more? 

They can try but lest be honest it's very unlikely isn't it? When you have clubs like. Everton managing 8th.

There have bene managers in the past that have scraped it then following season been successful. I think it's hasty

There have.

There's also been lots of managers who have scraped it in the past and then taken a team down.

Brighton have won 3 of their last 23 games. They're an awful side.

Edited by Stevo985

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

There have.

There's also been lots of managers who have scraped it in the past and then taken a team down.

True but when you consider Brighton were a very average side before hughton came I think they should have given him next season at least considering what he has done for that club. 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

True but when you consider Brighton were a very average side before hughton came I think they should have given him next season at least considering what he has done for that club. 

Fair enough.

I think sentiment often leads to bad decisions. And that would be a good example.

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They can try but lest be honest it's very unlikely isn't it? When you have clubs like. Everton managing 8th.

Probably not no, but they should try. Otherwise what's the point? Hanging around for the money? I don't think we as fans should buy into that. 

nah when the rots set in its near impossible to turn it around, we obviously cant see it, I doubt maybe even all brighton fans can see it but if in training and in games the players are coasting then relegation is inevitable, if they sat hughton down in the last days, weeks, months and said assess this season and what you want to do this summer and his response wasn't aligned with what they thought of the club then they have every right to change direction

the "he's a nice man" brigade are out in full force, fwiw he is a good manager, whoever said baggies if they don't go up is a great shout, within 2 years he'll have them up, then he'll hit his ceiling and do **** all but scrape by in the PL again 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Fair enough.

I think sentiment often leads to bad decisions. And that would be a good example.

Although we could argue Smith has been the opposite 😃

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Probably not no, but they should try. Otherwise what's the point? Hanging around for the money? I don't think we as fans should buy into that. 

Good point but I don't think that's realistic expectations if you look at the club size and their resources. Didn't hughton take them to cup semis as well? That's a remarkable achievement for me. 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Although we could argue Smith has been the opposite 😃

I wouldn't say Smith was appointed on sentiment.

Edited by Stevo985

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Good point but I don't think that's realistic expectations if you look at the club size and their resources. Didn't hughton take them to cup semis as well? That's a remarkable achievement for me. 

They are in the Premier League, so they have vast resources of they are able to tap into them. Regardless, as a fan I would much rather see my club strive for success. We also see on the pitch that the best form of defence is attack, or in Brighton's case off it, be bold and switch it up. 

Getting to a cup semi final isn't *that* remarkable and frankly, if they had turned up that day Man City were there for the taking. 

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

They are in the Premier League, so they have vast resources of they are able to tap into them. Regardless, as a fan I would much rather see my club strive for success. We also see on the pitch that the best form of defence is attack, or in Brighton's case off it, be bold and switch it up. 

Getting to a cup semi final isn't *that* remarkable and frankly, if they had turned up that day Man City were there for the taking. 

I think it is for. A team that scraped staying up. How many fa Cup smeis have Brighton bene involved in last twenty years? I don't recall any of any at all. 

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I wouldn't say Smith was appointed on sentiment.

I think some it has been a slot of our fan bass liked that he was. A villa fan although he certainly deserved the opportunity at the same w time

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think it is for. A team that scraped staying up. How many fa Cup smeis have Brighton bene involved in last twenty years? I don't recall any of any at all. 

We got the final whilst scraping up. We should have sacked Sherwood that summer in retrospect. 

• Like 2

Â