The Manager thread

Xela

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Man City's squad absolutely wrecks Juve's

Juventus have much better defence and forward line, City probably the better midfield. Goalkeepers are probably similar

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Juventus have much better defence and forward line, City probably the better midfield. Goalkeepers are probably similar

City have depth though. I don't think Juve have someone of Mahrez's quality riding the bench.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

City have depth though. I don't think Juve have someone of Mahrez's quality riding the bench.

Douglas Costa, Bernardeschi, Cuadrado are no mugs

12 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Tony Pulis gone.  Another destroy and exit complete.

How the Hell do these dinosaurs keep getting jobs?  I can't think of another industry where you can publicly fail, time and time again, and still continue to make millions.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KMitch said:

How the Hell do these dinosaurs keep getting jobs?  I can't think of another industry where you can publicly fail, time and time again, and still continue to make millions.  

It’s madness isn’t it. 

I find it amusing that the former ‘Survival Experts’ like Bruce and Pulis have now been relegated to ‘Promotion Experts’ as finally Premier League clubs have cottoned on to them. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Zatman said:

Juve’s “much better defence and forward line” managed to concede 4 more goals and score 26 fewer in a substantially inferior league than Man City did. I think you’re wrong. 

40 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Juve’s “much better defence and forward line” managed to concede 4 more goals and score 26 fewer in a substantially inferior league than Man City did. I think you’re wrong. 

Luckily stats mean **** all when you watch with own eyes

13 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Where did Pulis fail time and time again, exactly? Taking Stoke from a midtable championship side to a stable PL side? (and where are they now). Taking Palace from bottom, 4 points through a third of the season, and leading them to a comfortable midtable finish? Or was it finishing midtable with WBA? And getting sacked when they were 15th - only for them to be comfortably relegated by seasons end? 

Yes, he hasn't done a great job at Boro, but he's hardly been a disaster. The Championship is a bit of a cluster of a league anyway. 

His football is far from my taste, but to suggest he just fails over and over is as far from the mark as it gets. 

It seems being British and playing a direct style of football = shit, regardless of the actual outcome. 

Yep. Not getting into the play-offs this season with Middlesbrough is the only fail on his CV in a long time. 

• Like 1

I think modern day football doesn't suit it any more if anything. Martin O'Neill is another who suffers with this. These managers need to evolve their ideas, what worked 5-10 years ago doesn't work now. 

• Like 1

On 17/05/2019 at 23:21, KMitch said:

This is why I was so glad we got in Smith instead of another "name" 

I would much rather get in a manager from a smaller team/lower league who had been doing well and getting that team playing good football than someone who had been sacked several times from your peers or a bigger club. 

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont think thats true Bobby Robson and Roy Hodgson played direct football they aren't called shit

The fact you needed to find managers that made their names two decades says it all though. 

And Roy has been called shit. 

3 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

I think modern day football doesn't suit it any more if anything. Martin O'Neill is another who suffers with this. These managers need to evolve their ideas, what worked 5-10 years ago doesn't work now. 

Juve under Allegri made 2 CL Finals and won 5 straight titles. Direct football still has its place. 

I'm enjoying how much anger and hatred this is bringing out of a certain portion of football fans. Can't see it happening any time soon, but I don't see why it'd be such an outrageous thing in principle. 

Edited by Davkaus

Â